Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I’ve seen bulges like that, I’ve seen split barrels. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a true explosion or anything like that. I’ve seen polymer pistols do weird stuff like the grip split and kick the magazine out in pieces.

I’ll take a lot of flak for saying it, but that’s why I buy factory ammo and shoot Glocks. It is an extreme rare occasion where I am shooting a competition and see a malfunction with a Glock shooting factory ammo from factory mags. It just doesn’t happen.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Those were both with hand loads.... I guess no one will be surprised to hear that.

Not to say factory ammo never does the same. But.

I'd have to really stop and think but I feel pretty confident stating that 3/4-plus of the bulged and split pistol barrels, and many of the KaBoomed AR's I've been hands-on with, were shooting one kind or another of reload.

Feedback Score
    Back when I reloaded on a RCBS Rock Chucker it was hard to reload a case without seeing there was enough powder in the case. Now that we have progressives we can reload more but people just get sloppy doing it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The barrel, 6-8000 rounds more since last report. We know this because Rob told me he loaded that many in one whack and is now out. Lead SWC’s.

Cracktrackerpic. I will eventually just mill this right out unless if falls off first. No downside, really.

Shield Driver sight, holding up well if I may say so. It should, it’s made from prehardened chrome moly steel, like gun parts used to be made from. Most of the wear is from the Safariland 6004 holster. Rob is the guy who inspired me to name the sight Shield Driver.

Feedramps need to be deep enough and at the right angle. What they don’t need is a mirror finish, although, yes, it has come to be expected on a custom gun and sure, there’s no harm in it. I do it when I’m wrapping one up, and did it on this one— over 120,000 rounds ago. I think I’ve repolished it a time or two over the years but didn’t bother with it this time around.

Since 2016 I've been keeping a running account of breakages / repairs / upgrades by engraving it on the inside of one of the grips.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any pictures of the full assembled pistol? Thanks for the updates!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Operator as it is at the moment:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    And Bingo SA for the win !! Such a sweet rig. Glad I have one . Just need to put another 40,000 rounds down the pipe.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The Operator as it is at the moment:

front strap wear, left handed, wedding band?
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is cool. I love these kinds of torture tests.

I just got one of these in 10mm. Doubt it'd go 88,000 rounds. Doubt I'd want to shoot 88,000 rounds of 10mm.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This one is now at > 128000 rounds.

I never really asked what it was that damaged the frontstrap, I'll ask.

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast