Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So..... the new top end seems to have tightened up groups a little.

DANG IT why did I have to fire that fifth shot.

Left target, "as received". Right target is, I confess, the best of several groups I've fired but not a fluke. And the front sight at that point was a temporary one, something I do sometimes to get an idea of what level the new front sight needs to be cut in at.... a 3-48 socket head cap screw. I can dial it in for elevation and know exactly how high to make the new front sight. Point being the head of a screw is a poor front sight but this new Kart barrel looks like it will do the job. I will be doing further grouping with it as I finish it up in the coming weeks, with ammo that might be more accurate than my 200 SWC load as in these two targets.

That old conventional wisdom about the first shot in a group being outside the group-- with accuracy like this you would see it. I test for this all the time just because, well, much of the shooting I do is checking accuracy or zeroing so it's kinda easy to watch for this phenomenon and I just don't see it. I always note, too, the very first round out of a new barrel and even that does not tend to go to a different POI.

Feedback Score
    Hey Ned,

The Colt frame you're showing, with the welded frame rails, for the mating slide, is it the same Colt from post #185 July 28. Where you posted some pictures of the Cracked Barrel in the link area?

The work you did here Definitely tighten up the groups!

Peace Jeff

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No. The one in post 185 is a fresh-faced, innocent cheerleader, completely unfamiliar with the ways of the world, who took a little fall at practice.

This one has walked the streets of Amsterdam 365 a year for decades and never gone home with empty pockets.

Feedback Score
    Wonderful thread Ned!

Besides a properly fitted barrel, quality ignition parts and fitted extractor and fps, do you recommend anything else for a reliable and lasting 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    At this point in use a Glock would have seen a couple of spring changes and then continue to run. Not sure as to the point of the thread other than 1911 parts wear out and break after high round counts.
    Which glock?

The ones in .40 or 45 acp right?

How long do they last in those calibers?
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 11-25-17 at 10:34.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Wonderful thread Ned!

Besides a properly fitted barrel, quality ignition parts and fitted extractor and fps, do you recommend anything else for a reliable and lasting 1911?
    If I had to take a fleet of say thirty 1911's and had only twenty minutes each to inspect and correct, with no access to parts, I would first check safety systems, then look at extractor tension and shape, then feedramp profile (not polish so much as profile). There is of course puh-lenty more but those are two biggies. Ignition parts would not be my first concern in this scenario but yeah, usually that would be optimal. Barrel fit for accuracy would be a low-priority concern but again when we have the option of optimizing this area, it's worth it. Barrel fit also impacts reliability.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ned, thanks for your posts on the 1911, I appreciate your time and expertise.
    Based on your above comment what, if anything, would you recommend if the starting point is a good quality 1911? Basic Colt or Springfield, if one had more time but not wishing to break the bank?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    No. The one in post 185 is a fresh-faced, innocent cheerleader, completely unfamiliar with the ways of the world, who took a little fall at practice.

This one has walked the streets of Amsterdam 365 a year for decades and never gone home with empty pockets.
    LMAO! What an explanation of 1911 LIFE

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post
    LMAO! What an explanation of 1911 LIFE
    It's the truth! Well, maybe the streets weren't in Holland, but....

1986s4, that's always a tough question, I know that only a few can say "if cost were no object", but there is a pretty close relationship between price and what I think is a satisfactory 1911 in the context of the many things that come into play, ordered something like this: safety, reliability, durability, ergos, customer support. Accuracy and looks come last but it is really pretty easy to get it all-- if cost is no object. And I don't mean some $6-$10,000 custom masterpiece you waited years for, I mean something from any of those three places in Arkansas.

I do think Colt and Springfield are good solid guns / good places to start. Depending on the model and the alignment of the stars you can get a good Colt, or it might wind up being a good start,\.... I think Springfield is better at details on their higher-end guns like the Operator, TRP, etc. And Springfield has been a lot better at support going by what guys tell me. One thing that has plagued Colts is sharp edges. You can always get one running but nobody likes rounding the edges on a brand-new blued gun. And nobody likes getting cut every time you work the gun!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    It's the truth! Well, maybe the streets weren't in Holland, but....

1986s4, that's always a tough question, I know that only a few can say "if cost were no object", but there is a pretty close relationship between price and what I think is a satisfactory 1911 in the context of the many things that come into play, ordered something like this: safety, reliability, durability, ergos, customer support. Accuracy and looks come last but it is really pretty easy to get it all-- if cost is no object. And I don't mean some $6-$10,000 custom masterpiece you waited years for, I mean something from any of those three places in Arkansas.

I do think Colt and Springfield are good solid guns / good places to start. Depending on the model and the alignment of the stars you can get a good Colt, or it might wind up being a good start,\.... I think Springfield is better at details on their higher-end guns like the Operator, TRP, etc. And Springfield has been a lot better at support going by what guys tell me. One thing that has plagued Colts is sharp edges. You can always get one running but nobody likes rounding the edges on a brand-new blued gun. And nobody likes getting cut every time you work the gun!
    I totally Agree with you Ned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure if this is a new change for Colt or not, sample size of 1.... But my Colt Comp .45 actually had a fair around of rounding done to the edges on the slide.... given one side was rounder than the other

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast