Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Today's pic, Rob tells me 6,600 rounds fired since last I examined it.

Going back through previous posts and trying to get totals, I think that 6600 makes it 118,000 on the gun and 46,000 on this barrel....? And 15,000 on the new slide.

There really wasn't anything else picture-worthy today. The slide / frame fit continues to hold up well due to the original fitting (recently with new slide, (also well-fitted). There is a lot of contact / bearing area which is conducive to long life on this fit.

Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Wow......so we are looking at about 94k for a round count!
    Looking like 118,000 on the gun and 46,000'on the barrel

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's threads like this that keep me coming back to this forum. Solid information and analysis by subject matter experts.

Feedback Score
    Any new updates on this pistol?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I expect some range time with Rob in the near future.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Ned,

Safe to assume the percentage of lead semi wad cutters has been maintained?
    Any thoughts on the use of the lead projectiles vs jacketed as pertaining to the barrel longevity?

Thanks
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm sure the percentages are the same.

Lead vs/jacketed on barrel life, not quite willing to put a ratio on it because of variables. I mean forcing a mile of lead wire through a barrel has got to be less destructive than a mile of copper. But I sometimes wonder if the dust left in a case from tumbling contributes to what barrel wear does occur with lead pills.

I was within 10' of this gun yesterday but there was too much going on to request a few minutes with it. Rob had just won the National Patrol Rifle Conference's competition and there was a lot of congratulating going on!

I will say that, to me, wear from lead seems smoother, more polished, than with jacketed. I'm sure it's slower, just not sure by how much. Also, some of the plated-on TMJ material "seems" harder and less slick. Like it might wear a barrel faster, but-- I don't have any data to support that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This one is not Rob's Operator but a very high mileage Colt. I thought I had mentioned it before in this thread but did not see any pics-- anyway, this shooter I believe is even higher volume than Rob. This Colt is one I have been servicing / repairing / rebarreling for actual decades. It has been this officer's duty gun, training gun and competition gun all those years-- again with a high percentage of 200 SWC handloads. Two years ago a fairly fresh (for Jeff) barrel somehow got a big gouge in it, which has polished out nicely with the several tens of thousands of rounds fired since. Freebore and throat are becoming quite advanced.

Slide stop broke. Pretty sure it's an Ed Brown, a cast part, I believe. With this much use I'd say it held up well.

This gun is about to get a new slide and barrel.... well deserved. Current slide to frame fit as at a full .010 slop. This gun should not shoot well at all and yet for Jeff, it does. I will finally have a chance to quantify it when I do what will be pretty much a full rebuild (slide is cracked and has been for tens of thousands of rounds). I have shims already cut to crown the slide over to a no-clearance fit, let's see what effect that has on groups. There is a complete thread on this one on LTW.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    At this point in use a Glock would have seen a couple of spring changes and then continue to run. Not sure as to the point of the thread other than 1911 parts wear out and break after high round counts.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Because not everything is about Glocks

Replace any gun with 1911 and the thread will still be X gun parts wear out at high round counts. What's the point

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 06-24-17 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's a thread from an Industry Professional documenting high round count 1911s, located in the 1911 subforum. It includes observations of said platform from an individual most people can learn from, and has led to discussion with Ned that can be appreciated by interested individuals. I'd be likewise interested in a thread about other platforms at similiar round counts in their respective forums.

Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast