Thread: 75 Round Romanian Top Loading AK Drum Magazine Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

75 Round Romanian Top Loading AK Drum Magazine Review

First thing's first––-who really needs a 75 round drum magazine?!?! Anyone who wants to have a lot fun, that's who!

I picked these top loaders up from Apex about a month ago and the one in the video below was the one in the 'worst' condition but as you can see it's still in great shape for a surplus mag. There's a lot of controversy out on the forums about whether these are of Romanian or of Russian origin; I'll leave that to the magazine experts. I know they were issued to Romanian RPK gunners.... Other than that all I know is that they work well and there's lots of fun.

Pros:
    -100% reliable in 4 rifles I've tried them in so far
    -Heavy (helps absorb recoil)
    -Capacity
    -Mil spec quality construction
    -Relatively inexpensive now (I got mine for $79, but over the years they've been over $120)
    -Great design; much easier to load than the wind up mags

Cons:
    -Heavy (can be a pro or con depending on intended use)
    -Tough to load after 40 or 50 rounds

Here's a video of me shooting a couple rounds through my Draco and then I break them down and cover some of the pros and cons.

Drum Magazine Review Video Link

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    i need one for my incoming pap ak.
    heard the chinese type windups need re-winding.
    badazz rifle there too. digging the muzzle attachment
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
    i need one for my incoming pap ak.
    heard the chinese type windups need re-winding.
    badazz rifle there too. digging the muzzle attachment
    As a general rule, you shouldn't leave the wind ups loaded and then depend on them for reliability---that's the big reason I went with the top loaders.

I'm going to do up a review of that brake one of these days too; I like it a lot so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    As a general rule, you shouldn't leave the wind ups loaded and then depend on them for reliability---that's the big reason I went with the top loaders.

I'm going to do up a review of that brake one of these days too; I like it a lot so far.
    Please do, am looking at UAG for upcoming project.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Um, you can leave Chinese mags loaded indefinitely--you just release the spring tension before loading. All you need to do is wind it up before use.

I've had many of the top-loading Romanian drums but sold all of them off because they were hard to load and had function issues. I kept the Chinese drums purely for collection purposes.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Um, you can leave Chinese mags loaded indefinitely--you just release the spring tension before loading. All you need to do is wind it up before use.

I've had many of the top-loading Romanian drums but sold all of them off because they were hard to load and had function issues. I kept the Chinese drums purely for collection purposes.

Good to hear that about the Chinese drums; I just heard reports of poor reliability after leaving them but I read it on the internet so it must be true

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

Good to hear that about the Chinese drums; I just heard reports of poor reliability after leaving them but I read it on the internet so it must be true
    If you'd ever EXPERIENCED a Chinese drum, you'd be looking for a Delorean and a flux capacitor - to get back to 1992!

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -