Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for when shopping for AK

Feedback Score
    25 (96%)

What to look for when shopping for AK

Never had an AK but for some reason I want one. What are the ones to avoid and what are the ones to look for 1st.

Anyone seen the American made IO AK's? I like the idea of American made parts, but really don't have a starting point of what to look for.

All opinions welcome.

Feedback Score
    Arsenal AK's are your best bet without going to a Krebs or other semi-custom rifle.

Everything else is more or less of a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Edwards View Post
    Never had an AK but for some reason I want one. What are the ones to avoid and what are the ones to look for 1st.

Anyone seen the American made IO AK's? I like the idea of American made parts, but really don't have a starting point of what to look for.

All opinions welcome.
    No IO---not until they rivet and weld properly. They've said they're doing it right now but I've not seen one yet.

Here's a good video by a guy who knows a WHOLE LOT about AKs...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0BP2_hcffs

Feedback Score
    American parts are a nice idea, but Americans don't build AKs for the military so there is MUCH more crap out there from Americans than good stuff. Best bet is to stick with a rifle made in a military factory (like Saigas), with select parts from US companies (FCGs tend to be good, plus idiot-proof things like pistol-grips, pistons, and furniture).

Arsenal's rifles (which are either Russian or Bulgarian factory rifles) are the easy answer. They can have issues sometimes, but you can send them back for warranty work. Personally, I'd rather trust myself with the building and repairing, so I converted my own Saiga.

You may want to consider getting a base Saiga and converting it into a more AK-like configuration yourself. It's not super hard, though it isn't like assembling an AR (a press and welder isn't required, but very helpful).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Check the stickied threads!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    getting me a pap ak . $700.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1185.aspx
    made in the zastava factory. beefy reciever, supposedly same as rpk .
    i usually recommend against century conversion, but apparently they got this one right

i would avoid us reciever/kit guns.
    too many issues with those.

the milled reciever bulgarian arsenal sa93 or slr95, if you can fine one, are about the best.
    also the hungarian reciever, chinese guns, even the egyptian maadi are great guns.
    when installing parts for 922r compliance it'd be best to avoid us made pistons. i had one that was so weak it warped under rapid fire. i couldn't even pull the charging handle. i had to lay the gun on it's side at the range with the lever down and use my leg to push the buttstock and chamber another round
    Last edited by filthy phil; 08-03-12 at 20:06.
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
    getting me a pap ak . $700.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1185.aspx
    made in the zastava factory. beefy reciever, supposedly same as rpk .
    i usually recommend against century conversion, but apparently they got this one right

i would avoid us reciever/kit guns.
    too many issues with those.

the milled reciever bulgarian arsenal sa93 or slr95, if you can fine one, are about the best.
    also the hungarian reciever, chinese guns, even the egyptian maadi are great guns.
    when installing parts for 922r compliance it'd be best to avoid us made pistons. i had one that was so weak it warped under rapid fire. i couldn't even pull the charging handle. i had to lay the gun on it's side at the range with the lever down and use my leg to push the buttstock and chamber another round
    Speaking of milled Arsenals.... K-Var just got a shipment of SLR 101's in. Only charging $1019 for it too. Pretty good deal IMO...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

+1 for Arsenal

Feedback Score
    25 (96%)
    Thanks for the info guys. And thanks for the info on the IO.

I really should have read "What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK? " sticky first. Tons of good info.

I think I will save up a little and wait for an arsenal.

We all know p-mags are the favored choice for the M4, but who makes the best 30 round mags for the AK?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When it comes to AKs I would stay away from most things built in America for the same reasons that CumbiaDude stated.

Now Im probably going to get flamed for this but.....If you just want an AK to see what its all about I would recommend the Romanian WASR. And before everyone jumps on me, here is why. They are imported as rifles not parts kits that are later put together here by Century (Like their Tantals and Bulgarian AK74's)

THE GOOD
    1 - Its something you want to try out. Maybe you'll like it maybe not. If not, well you didnt spend as much money.

2- The parts are just as good as on a Saiga or Arsenal. They are military parts. Its not like comparing a Colt to a Century built AR.

3- It will shoot just as good and function just the same.

THE BAD
    1- If this matters to you. The finish on these rifles are not as good as on others but Saiga finishes aren't great either.

2- The wood stock and hand guards have no finish on them. Not really. Again if this matters to you.

3- They are imported as single stack and the mag well is opened up here to accept double stack mags. Sometimes they get a little aggressive and open up a little more then they should. This will cause SLIGHT mag wobble left to right. This is only a cosmetic problem. Unless its like a swing the rifle will still function properly without loss of accuracy.

3a- Even if you get an Arsenal you will still have SOME mag wobble because all surplus mags are slightly different. Some are new some have been used. So you'll have some tight fitting some not.

4- Canted sights are known to happen. You can usually spot it just looking down the sights. Again even Arsenal is not immune to this and state it in their manual that as long as you can sight it in then its not a problem.

5- Arsenals have much better resale value but this is election time and all. Last time WASRs were flying off the shelves at $800.

Just like with any other firearm, some are inherently more accurate. All AKs will have looser tolerances and thus have wobble and or some rattling if you shake it. If you want fit and finish Arsenals ar the way to go without going custom. If you dont mind that the wood isnt sanded smooth and stained and that the finish will start to rub off then go WASR. You can always to a spray can to it.

Let the flaming begin!!

Also, there are some good AKs in between. The new PAP looks promesing but no chrome lined barrels. If that matters to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast