Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 Round Romanian Top Loading AK Drum Magazine Review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

75 Round Romanian Top Loading AK Drum Magazine Review

First thing's first––-who really needs a 75 round drum magazine?!?! Anyone who wants to have a lot fun, that's who!

I picked these top loaders up from Apex about a month ago and the one in the video below was the one in the 'worst' condition but as you can see it's still in great shape for a surplus mag. There's a lot of controversy out on the forums about whether these are of Romanian or of Russian origin; I'll leave that to the magazine experts. I know they were issued to Romanian RPK gunners.... Other than that all I know is that they work well and there's lots of fun.

Pros:
    -100% reliable in 4 rifles I've tried them in so far
    -Heavy (helps absorb recoil)
    -Capacity
    -Mil spec quality construction
    -Relatively inexpensive now (I got mine for $79, but over the years they've been over $120)
    -Great design; much easier to load than the wind up mags

Cons:
    -Heavy (can be a pro or con depending on intended use)
    -Tough to load after 40 or 50 rounds

Here's a video of me shooting a couple rounds through my Draco and then I break them down and cover some of the pros and cons.

Drum Magazine Review Video Link

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    i need one for my incoming pap ak.
    heard the chinese type windups need re-winding.
    badazz rifle there too. digging the muzzle attachment
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
    i need one for my incoming pap ak.
    heard the chinese type windups need re-winding.
    badazz rifle there too. digging the muzzle attachment
    As a general rule, you shouldn't leave the wind ups loaded and then depend on them for reliability---that's the big reason I went with the top loaders.

I'm going to do up a review of that brake one of these days too; I like it a lot so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    As a general rule, you shouldn't leave the wind ups loaded and then depend on them for reliability---that's the big reason I went with the top loaders.

I'm going to do up a review of that brake one of these days too; I like it a lot so far.
    Please do, am looking at UAG for upcoming project.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Um, you can leave Chinese mags loaded indefinitely--you just release the spring tension before loading. All you need to do is wind it up before use.

I've had many of the top-loading Romanian drums but sold all of them off because they were hard to load and had function issues. I kept the Chinese drums purely for collection purposes.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Um, you can leave Chinese mags loaded indefinitely--you just release the spring tension before loading. All you need to do is wind it up before use.

I've had many of the top-loading Romanian drums but sold all of them off because they were hard to load and had function issues. I kept the Chinese drums purely for collection purposes.

Good to hear that about the Chinese drums; I just heard reports of poor reliability after leaving them but I read it on the internet so it must be true

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

Good to hear that about the Chinese drums; I just heard reports of poor reliability after leaving them but I read it on the internet so it must be true
    If you'd ever EXPERIENCED a Chinese drum, you'd be looking for a Delorean and a flux capacitor - to get back to 1992!

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    If you'd ever EXPERIENCED a Chinese drum, you'd be looking for a Delorean and a flux capacitor - to get back to 1992!
    If you'd experienced FACEPALM after seeing someone about to bust a badass commmando move spill ALL of their RPK rounds on the ground... you'd be looking for a link to purchase an East Bloc Pattern Drum.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good review.

Now for a bit of a thread jack if the OP doesn't mind. To expand the conversation a little bit (and avoid starting another 75 rnd drum thread on the first page) how do you guys feel about usefulness of the 75 rd drum in general? I've been looking at them a bit the last few days and I'm curious. I was thinking about ordering one for the cool factor but I kept coming back to the facts that 1) its got to be heavy as hell in the gun and 2) while I would have to do mag changes; I can have three $12 surplus mags while saving myself sixty some odd dollars and have 15 more rounds to boot.

So what say you. Must have tool? Fun range item but not for serious use? A complete and utter waste of money?
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    Good review.

Now for a bit of a thread jack if the OP doesn't mind. To expand the conversation a little bit (and avoid starting another 75 rnd drum thread on the first page) how do you guys feel about usefulness of the 75 rd drum in general? I've been looking at them a bit the last few days and I'm curious. I was thinking about ordering one for the cool factor but I kept coming back to the facts that 1) its got to be heavy as hell in the gun and 2) while I would have to do mag changes; I can have three $12 surplus mags while saving myself sixty some odd dollars and have 15 more rounds to boot.

1. It is heavy. Wouldn't want to carry it on a patrol but the weight helps follow up shot speed so there is an advantage there..

2. Valid point.

So what say you. Must have tool? Fun range item but not for serious use? A complete and utter waste of money?
    It's not must have---I've shot AKs for a long time before I ever had one and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I think these ones are for serious use. These were standard military issue items---I'm sure many a RPK gunner thought they were pretty serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast