Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Body For Life" program?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

"Body For Life" program?

Anyone have experience with the "Body For Life" program? I came across the book the other day, and was wondering if I could benefit from it.

The part of the program I'm unsure of is the limited number of workouts per week: three strength training sessions, and three cardio sessions. I usually do double that, though admittedly my progress has not been good lately. I have far to go on my fitness goals, and am looking for new ideas.

So, anyone have any input on this?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Okay let me put it another way: I just wonder if lifting only three times a week will get you anywhere.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In 2002 my girlfriend at the time and I followed the Body For Life program pretty religiously, from the workouts to the food. I was happy with the results and we would have kept on doing it if we had stayed together I'm actually thinking about doing it again now.

We both had good results, although opposite as she was looking to get smaller and I was looking to get bigger. Interestingly I think she only lost a couple of pounds but went down two sizes.

It's not going to turn you into a juiced-up monster, but that's largely because you're not on juice. It's more about an all-around level of fitness that's easy to maintain for a normal person with a real life and real life commitments.

Later I did the Zone Diet but found that having to go out on my own for the fitness portion wasn't as successful. Although when I'm paying attention now I do try to eat in a way that combines BFL and the Zone.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Anyone have experience with the "Body For Life" program? I came across the book the other day, and was wondering if I could benefit from it.

The part of the program I'm unsure of is the limited number of workouts per week: three strength training sessions, and three cardio sessions. I usually do double that, though admittedly my progress has not been good lately. I have far to go on my fitness goals, and am looking for new ideas.

So, anyone have any input on this?
    Bill took the basic principles of bodybuilding from his years publishing Muscle Media (which I wrote for at the time) info for training and nutrition, and applied it to a general fitness book. As a good basic starting point, it's a fine program that's balanced and healthy but markets his line of supplements heavily.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-07-12 at 08:05.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    but markets his line of supplements heavily.
    This is true, and I had forgotten about that. We started out using them, and then we phased them out over time. For us, they made it a little easier to transition into the program and as we got more comfortable we relied on them less. They were also convenient for us dealing with the 6 meals thing relative to work and other commitments.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I did the BFL program in 2001 and lost 20lbs in 3 months. I think what really helped me was diet and eating every 2 hours and staying hydrated.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As a good basic starting point, it's a fine program that's balanced and healthy but markets his line of supplements heavily.
    Well, I've got my own brands of supplements that I already use, so that is of no matter. I'm more focused on the workout portion of the program.

Three HIIT workouts a week is daunting. I've done it in the past, but even for short time periods, I find it hard to keep the intensity up for it to be a true HIIT workout. Two a week I can do no problem. Plus, I've come to believe that Variability in workout types and intensities is a benefit, but hey I'm no expert. That's why I posted this thread!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well, I've got my own brands of supplements that I already use, so that is of no matter. I'm more focused on the workout portion of the program.

Three HIIT workouts a week is daunting. I've done it in the past, but even for short time periods, I find it hard to keep the intensity up for it to be a true HIIT workout. Two a week I can do no problem. Plus, I've come to believe that Variability in workout types and intensities is a benefit, but hey I'm no expert. That's why I posted this thread!
    Been forever since I read that (I wrote chapter 11 of his previous book FYI) but it's intended as an intro book, so I'm sure he gives advice on how to ramp up intensity, etc and wouldn't throw newbies into the deep end the pool with 3 HIIT sessions per week to start off with. I'd expect one to work up to that level of exercise vs start with it.

Personally, 3 sessions of HIIT per week, unless that's all I did, would burn me out fast. In addition to the weights/resistance training and conditioning work, I might get 1 session of true HIIT in once per week-ish.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm sure he gives advice on how to ramp up intensity, etc and wouldn't throw newbies into the deep end the pool with 3 HIIT sessions per week to start off with. I'd expect one to work up to that level of exercise vs start with it.
    No, he says start at 3X HIIT/week, the only cardio he specifies. He makes the point that since the user defines the "1-10 level effort", it is self-adjusting.

Personally, 3 sessions of HIIT per week, unless that's all I did, would burn me out fast. In addition to the weights/resistance training and conditioning work, I might get 1 session of true HIIT in once per week-ish.
    I think I could get 2 true HIIT sessions (23 min. each) per week in; after all, last week I did that, plus 3 swimming workouts (45 min. each), 3 elliptical workouts (45 min. each), 2 bike workouts (45 min. each), and 6 weight lifting sessions (about 45 min. each). The HIITs were the first I've done since my cancer surgery in February, and they were good solid efforts. But I was thinking of doing 2 HIIT and 1 LISS session per week, just to keep a mix in play. Because, (obviously), I may be over-doing it with the workouts

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No, he says start at 3X HIIT/week, the only cardio he specifies. He makes the point that since the user defines the "1-10 level effort", it is self-adjusting.
    OK.

I think I could get 2 true HIIT sessions (23 min. each) per week in;
    Are you sure it's true HIIT and not interval training? 23mins of true HIIT, damn near impossible for all but the best conditioned. See:

http://www.brinkzone.com/training-pr...ally-doing-it/

HIIT is a form of interval training, but not all interval training is HIIT.

after all, last week I did that, plus 3 swimming workouts (45 min. each), 3 elliptical workouts (45 min. each), 2 bike workouts (45 min. each), and 6 weight lifting sessions (about 45 min. each).
    That would = over training for me in a very short time.

The HIITs were the first I've done since my cancer surgery in February, and they were good solid efforts. But I was thinking of doing 2 HIIT and 1 LISS session per week, just to keep a mix in play. Because, (obviously), I may be over-doing it with the workouts
    Yup....Read what I linked above, HIIT has its merits for sure, but it also has real potential drawbacks people seem to ignore/overlook.

Look at the long hall, not the drop quick weight approach. I have posted a solid concurrent /blended program here various times and those who follow it get excellent results if the goal is good overall fitness (and fat loss if cals are below maintenance) strength, conditioning vs more specific goals.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast