Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR45 RMW DI45 REVIEW *PIC HEAVY*

Feedback Score
    I haven't stretched AR45's legs out to 100 yards yet. I've read that it can be pretty consistant hitting a 8x8 target 100yds on iron sights.

So this can be a little overboard, but I was thinking about mounting some optic with a magnifier like an Eotech XPS with G33 STS or an Aimpoint CompM4, Aimpoint magnifier, and the LaRue LT755 Pivot Mount.

I think this would be more fun knowing I could plink at longer distances with ease.

Has anyone put an optic on their .45auto carbine with a 16" barrel? What kind of results did you get?
    Last edited by SCatalyst; 05-28-13 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    Theres a guy selling brand new M3 mags on snipershide for $30 each, if you have a hankering for extras

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slowkota View Post
    Theres a guy selling brand new M3 mags on snipershide for $30 each, if you have a hankering for extras
    Good looking out, I'll look that up.

But now I have to save for the DDLES Glock 21 lower (if they release them on time), 27 round Glock magazines, and more CNC AR45 lowers.
    Last edited by SCatalyst; 08-21-12 at 19:46.

Feedback Score
    Kinda off topic, but the .45 auto will operate great for a DI application, but research shows the 9mm luger in DI is a NO-GO... unless you reload your own.
    D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Feedback Score
    SCatalyst.....Thanks for a great review; It's funny how I just happened to stumble across this thread, as Ron currently has a bunch of my parts, and I'm awaiting him to do my build for a .45 DI upper.

However, I'm using a Bazooka Bro's lower (SBRed) and Ron is building the upper with around an 8" barrel, to work with my 7" carbine length rail. I wanted to keep the overall length pretty short, as I will be runnig a can.

It's nice to here you say such great things about Ron/RMW Extreme, I know I'll be getting one bad ass upper when it's done.

I'll be sure to post a pic when mines done.

How many rounds do you have through yours now; any FTF/FTE; have you tried running any hollow point rounds, or self defense loads through it, do they feed ok???

Also, tell me about the buffer you are using; did you have to take the weights out????

Do you know anything about the bolt he uses, or what he has to do to it to make it .45 ACP?? Do you have any pics of the bolt?

Are any of the locking lugs removed for the round to feed in? Any other pics of the feed ramp/barrel extension? (can't quite tell in that one pic you have)

Thanks again for that EXCELLENT review
    Last edited by bobslife6826; 08-29-12 at 01:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a pretty sweet rifle. I like it!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That was a nice writeup! Don't know if I'll ever get around to a .45 carbine build, but if I do you've given me a lot to consider!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobslife6826 View Post
    SCatalyst.....Thanks for a great review; It's funny how I just happened to stumble across this thread, as Ron currently has a bunch of my parts, and I'm awaiting him to do my build for a .45 DI upper.
    I'm happy to do it, this is fun for me. I haven't seen a detailed review of one so I thought I would do it. I wanted specific parts too and asked him to do his magic with it. I was happy when he told me he could work with it.

I'm using a Bazooka Bro's lower (SBRed). I wanted to keep the overall length pretty short, as I will be runnig a can.
    I'm jealous, I have to wait for a little more financial stability before I start telling the misses I'm submitting forms for stamps. Ron did mention something about how he liked how he could manipulate the height of the magazine for the BAZ45. He’s had great success with both the AR45 and BAZ45.

It's nice to here you say such great things about Ron/RMW Extreme, I know I'll be getting one bad ass upper when it's done.
    Yeah, he and his friends are a good bunch. While I was out there, they were testing out a LW lower that they shaved out to take G21 magazines. I wanted to take pics, but it wasn’t my firearm.

I’m sure you’ll love the upper when it’s ready. I was thinking of asking him to make me an extra bolt and maybe some 2 extra extractors. I want to test the limits of it and run steel casings till it breaks the extractor. Then use aluminum casings till it breaks the next extractor. Then report findings.

I'll be sure to post a pic when mines done.
    Please do.

How many rounds do you have through yours now; any FTF/FTE; have you tried running any hollow point rounds, or self defense loads through it, do they feed ok???
    Honestly, after firing my new toy, I held off on ammo purchases so I could start collecting parts for the next build 45auto lower.

So I haven’t run self defense ammo thru it yet, but I did see a video of someone using 45SUPER out of their barrel. So I don’t see it as a future problem for mine…other than getting loud.

Also, tell me about the buffer you are using; did you have to take the weights out????
    I have to weigh the buffer when I find a scale, because it does feel a little on the light side. This is the one he handed to me when he told me to put my Spike’s ST-T2 away. It’s 3¼”.
    EDIT: BUFFER WEIGHT 3.1-3.2oz

I’m using the buffer spring that came in the LWRC LPK. I believe it’s the chrome silicon flatwire buffer spring. Copper in color and MIL-SPEC I’m guessing.

Do you know anything about the bolt he uses, or what he has to do to it to make it .45 ACP?? Do you have any pics of the bolt?
    My research about it has shown that it takes a little more fabrication work than your average AR ‘LEGO’ build (I use that term loosely). The bolt has to be bored and extractor needs a dremel.

I believe there’s a degree of finesse and experience that is applied during the upper build. The barrels have to be made from blanks considering there isn’t too large of a requesting market. This was a McGowen blank cut to Ron's specs.

I didn’t ask if the blocks were custom or shelf, but they’re not the clamp type. I can see hex screws at the bottom of the gas block securing it to the barrel.

From left to right: 9mm blowback, DI-5.56, DI-45

This shows how much had to be taken down from 5.56 to .45auto.

Are any of the locking lugs removed for the round to feed in? Any other pics of the feed ramp/barrel extension? (can't quite tell in that one pic you have)
    I was concerned about needing to do that for the Glock 21 lower build for the magazines. But for this application, they’re all there. Not much of a ramp was needed, but it is there. I tried getting a good angle of it.

Yep, this is the centerpiece of my collection for the time being.
    Last edited by SCatalyst; 05-28-13 at 21:22.
    D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    That is a pretty sweet rifle. I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    That was a nice writeup! Don't know if I'll ever get around to a .45 carbine build, but if I do you've given me a lot to consider!
    Thanks guys. I'd like to try building an upper like that myself someday, but I'll prolly get another upper from him before I even think about heading down that path. So I'll at least have two points of reference...and two functional DI45s.
    D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Feedback Score
    SCatalyst.........Thanks answering those questions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast