Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Presentation from the Holster

Feedback Score
    This technique is superior regardless of holster/carry. If it the gear requires you to alter the the psychical skill, change the gear if you are able to.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Tactical Training View Post
    Combat Focus® Shooting’s method, which I am a certified active instructor, is the best method.
    I find this statement to be highly debatable.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What human error are you taking into account? The inability to perform the action of bringing the gun up correctly? Just because you can't do it right doesn't mean it's a lesser way to do it.

There are several ways to accomplish drawing a gun and your method is sound but is not going to be ideal for every shooter even though it may be your "preferred method".

Pressing the gun out on a curve is just one example of a way to get the gun on target faster. Another method could be bringing the pistol into the center of your chest and clasping both hands at that point; instead of raising the pistol high to your strong side then clasping hands so far in front of your body during the press out motion.

Additionally, you're not talking about when to start pressing on the trigger. Do you take up the slack in your trigger during the press out, or do you take up slack when fully pressed out. When you move your finger from finger guard to trigger it's going to move the sights, so when do you choose to move to the trigger? When you press it? Do you stage the trigger to the break point, or slap it?

Since you're toting this as a one size fits all drawing method then there's also drawing and firing from retention. How well will this work for firing from retention? If you draw and raise your pistol as high as you're going, then do your 90 degree rotation, you may have to move the pistol lower again to fire accurately. On the other hand, if you clear your holster and rotate the pistol, it may already be in the appropriate firing position for you as a shooter, which could be faster.

Thanks for the pics and opinion, but I see no reason to not be driving the gun as soon as it clears the holster. Get it out of the holster, sights on target, break the shot and get your hit. There is no single method to doing this but there are several that work well.

I didn't notice you were so new to the website, welcome to M4C.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    "Combat Focus® Shooting’s method, which I am a certified active instructor, is the best method." "This technique is superior regardless of holster/carry."
    These statements are quite broad, could you please be specific as to how your method is superior to other specific methods?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I find this statement to be highly debatable.
    This.

Saying that something is the "best method" is very much a statement that I would expect from someone who has drank the koolaid and refuses any other flavor.

Feedback Score
    This technique is superior regardless of holster/carry. If it the gear requires you to alter the the psychical skill, change the gear if you are able to.
    Making a blanket statement like this is quite arrogant, to be honest.

There are many factors that will influence weapon manipulation skills, gear is one of them. Often, specific pieces of gear is not something the individual can choose to discard/change. Often compromise is neccessary, to achieve best possible integration of technique and gear.

I am no super duper pistolero, but my draw stroke is 4 steps:

1. Hand to pistol
    2. Clear holster and acquire firing grip
    3. Presentation
    4. Shoot

A video of me shooting from the draw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMEYKLSVHS0

I can certainly be faster, but I am pretty consistent in what I do every single time. I don't find it choppy at least. No particular positions or timing neccessary. My draw will be affected if I am transitioning from my primary, for example.
    Last edited by Arctic1; 08-14-12 at 14:05.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    This will be good. Now where is that popcorn eating emoticon at.

To the OP, I think you will find that NOT speaking in absolutes will save you some pain.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-14-12 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I am hoping this is in 3D!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    not to pile on.... but besides getting one into a proper superman armpit smelling stance what exactly is this "best" at ?

Ive been exposed to a number of different techniques for draws, and they all have different priorities and thus address those concerns. The draw through retention and through a compressed position EXCELS at Extreme Close Quarters inside 5 yards with a real opponent , while drawing up to get your front sight in your line of sight and drive the gun on rails out to the target (while looking out the front of your eyes, NOT through your eyebrows) EXCELS at taking the first shot on a tight or distant target , meeting the hands lower leveling the gun and driving up onto target though is much much faster, eso to an indexed or large hit where you dont need to maximize sight time.

l

Feedback Score
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMEYKLSVHS0

You are basically doing the CFS method. Up then out into and parallel your line of sight. The only thing we don't teach is bringing the hand to the chest. If you can do that great, do it. The weak hand may be busy doing something else. So at some point as you are extending the gun out, get your grip.

There is no stopping in the presentation. It is a continual movement. Go back and reread the original post.

For the trigger press, touch the trigger and press it reward when you reach extension. No need to prep it in the context of the course. This is not shooting for competition. This for a combative application.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast