Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a chest rig. Have researched. Came up with a few options.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Looking for a chest rig. Have researched. Came up with a few options.

choosing the right chest rig. Options listed.
    Bought an HSGI Sure-Grip battle belt a few weeks ago and I love it. Its rugged, comfortable, and stays where it should. Now I’m looking for an addition to hold more rifle mags. I am looking for something that sits high enough on the chest to work in conjuction with my battle belt. I have looked through the standard sights at chest rig set-ups, M4C and here. I have a few I’ve been looking at and was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of them or suggestions.

Top contender is:
    http://www.optactical.com/hsaosmchrig.html I like the minimalist and compactness of this rig. Again, I have several of their products and have been more the pleased with the quality and service.

The next one I am looking at is:
    http://www.optactical.com/orsoepamwrli.html I like that it has a built-in admin pouch. My concerns are on the durability of the zipper and how the rig carries the weight of the mags. Will the two layers tend to sag when my mag pouches are fully loaded?

I am also looking at this one:
    http://www.optactical.com/orsoepamirig.html Basically looks like just another one like the HSGI rig. Very minimalist.

The last one that caught my eye was this one:
    http://www.optactical.com/higrgechrig.html I know nothing of the company. I can’t seem to find much review-wise on the company or rig. The minimalist design appeals to me. I also like that the shoulder straps look padded. Would really appreciate some info on them. I don’t want to mistakenly order some airsoft jumk.

The function of this rig will be mainly to carry 3-4 AR mags, maybe an extra pistol mag to use during some training from a friend of a marine friend of mine that seems to know his stuff. He's trained at DARC (on a side note, he's taking me to play opfor during a few training classes DARC has coming up. If you haven't heard of DARC look them up, especially over at lightfigher, they have some great AARs from some courses there. If everything goes good I might be able to get into a class in the future because the owner is a personal friend of my marine friend.) Also a flashlight and knife/multitool maybe if I don’t find room on my belt for it. I consider the belt my first line and carry a blowout kit on it as well as a dump pouch in the rear. So, any thoughts guys?
    Last edited by curlyburns5; 08-19-12 at 00:07.

Feedback Score
    I'd recommend taking a look at what Ares Armor has got to offer, their Atalanta slim rig may be right up your alley. They have 4 different versions of it but the Slim-light sounds like it would suit what you need. It's got four front mag pouches and enough MOLLE to add plenty more mags. I recently bought one myself and it's a really well made piece of gear.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

mini MAV

Take a look at the MINI MAV from tactical tailor as well, I like the set up of the crossed straps in the back with one securing strap low. I have mine set up with 4 mags across the front. I keep my pistol mags on my belt.

I would like to take a look at this as well if I were in the market for a new one.
    http://www.blueforcegear.com/rackminus/
    Last edited by krm375; 08-19-12 at 05:52. Reason: added link

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    i've used the OSOE MWRL 8 mag (same thing but with 4 rally man pouches on it), put a full size tear off ifak on one side and a radio and pistol pouch on the other. Now mind you i'm no high speed operator but Would go "trail running" with it from time to time (the woods are about the only place around here that one can go out in mid-full kit for exercise without getting hassled by the JBT) and even fully loaded I never had a problem with the zipper. John's kit is pretty much bomb proof. There have been several "fan posts" on his fb page of .mil personnel over in the sandlot with his gear.....
    Last edited by calicojack; 08-19-12 at 06:20.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a MAV chest rig with the X-harness. Nice and simple, comfortable, and cost-efficient. It's very well-constructed and has been very durable for me. It's a little cumbersome to get into quickly. That hasn't really been an issue, but if I were to do it over, I'd probably go with the two-piece.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I wore this type of rodisean style. Chest rig over my Iba for a lot of years. The best I ever used was the battle lab it held 6 mags real tight to my chest, this dosent interfer with going prone.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I also suggest taking a look at the Ares Armor line.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I'll look into those. I would prefer an all-molle set-up because I already have extra tacos/mag pouches. Something that I've wondered, do the sewn-in pouches flop around alot when empty? I just don't care for the idea of being tied down to any specific configuration. I haven't considered the split front yet but that seems to be something to consider for ease of donning it. The rackminus looks interesting but I hate jumping on the "newest hotness" bandwagon. Do you think the lack of backing material decreases support/stability when loaded? I'll keep looking at y'alls suggestions. I appreciate the help

Feedback Score
    I'd say the sewn in pouches are actually more stable than the pouches attached by webbing. Ares does make an all MOLLE version of their rig if thats what your looking for.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    i second ares armor. that or eagle
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast