Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MSBS - new Polish assault rifle

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sad to see the MSBS will likely not come to fruition as many of us had hoped. Polish made firearms always pique my interest.
    "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" - Patrick Henry

Feedback Score
    Looks like I was wrong!

Polish Ministry of Defense plans to order 50,000 units of new GROT (new name for MSBS, literally "Arrowhead") for our new, all volunteer Territorial Defense. Professional, full time forces stick to wz.96 Beryl for time being.

GROT will be most probably adopted as wz. 17 or wz. 18.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Looks like I was wrong!

Polish Ministry of Defense plans to order 50,000 units of new GROT (new name for MSBS, literally "Arrowhead") for our new, all volunteer Territorial Defense. Professional, full time forces stick to wz.96 Beryl for time being.

Eh, they better be spending some money on troops, b/c things are getting rather sporty in the world lately. Still hoping they figure out how to bring them over here.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    That is what they are doing. Training and equipping over 50K new Territorial Defense troops (mostly light infantry, officers that will command those units are ex or active duty special forces officers), while at same time increasing and modernizing regular army. Relative to GNP Poland is going to have 2nd or 3rd biggest defense budget in NATO.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Looks like I was wrong!

That's really cool to hear!
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Contract for delivery of 53.000 sets of Grot (MSBS) in rifle (16") configuration was signed. Value around 500mil Polish Złoty (around $142mil).

Interesting twist is that contract is signed with JW Nil (Military Unit Nil) as purchasing entity. JW Nil is part of Special Forces Command responsible for recon, SIGINT, HUMINT, communication, logistics and command support. But end user will be Territorial Defense ("weekend soldiers" - opponents of idea like to call them). This reinforce information of strong connection between SF and TD.

https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=
    Last edited by montrala; 09-07-17 at 09:09. Reason: Link
    Montrala

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That is what they are doing. Training and equipping over 50K new Territorial Defense troops (mostly light infantry, officers that will command those units are ex or active duty special forces officers), while at same time increasing and modernizing regular army. Relative to GNP Poland is going to have 2nd or 3rd biggest defense budget in NATO.
    Ya I didn't word that right, I meant to imply it's a good thing they're spending money on the troops/defense.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Is there a reason why the MSBS rifles are going to territorial defense troops first?

I mean why not deliver the new rifles to regular military and/or special forces. Then have territorial defense get older Beryl rifles?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't territorial defense the equivalent of National Guard in US? I'm not saying that they are not important, just interesting that they are issuing these brand new rifles to volunteer forces.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Is there a reason why the MSBS rifles are going to territorial defense troops first?

I mean why not deliver the new rifles to regular military and/or special forces. Then have territorial defense get older Beryl rifles?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't territorial defense the equivalent of National Guard in US? I'm not saying that they are not important, just interesting that they are issuing these brand new rifles to volunteer forces.
    Maybe let them be beta testers? Just a guess. Then maybe later on if any issues come up they can make a gen 2 for the regular army.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edit: Israel took a similar approach to limited fielding of the Tavor when it first came out.
    Last edited by mig1nc; 09-10-17 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    1st, use them as Beta testers (actually one unit already is using MSBS under eyes of special forces officers commanding this unit).
    2nd, it is easier to outfit completely new kind of force with new equipment, then transition whole armed forces. We did not even complete transition from AKM/AKMS 7.62x39mm to Beryl 5.56 NATO.

What bothers me somehow is that OT will use same ammo, but different magazines than regular army. There is however prototype of magazine conversion for Beryl in the works (I even Alpha tested it for some time for factory). Maybe this conversion will finally be adopted to allow use of STANAG magazine in Beryl.
    Montrala

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast