Thread: Eye protection for extended use w/earmuffs?

Feedback Score

Eye protection for extended use w/earmuffs?

I need to get some new eye protection, and I'd like something with has a thin temple-piece that'll be comfortable under earmuffs for hours at a time.

I'd like the highest level of ballistic protection possible, with the ability swap lenses from clear to smoked depending on lighting conditions.

Personal recommendations?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you're running a ball cap on your head, that will generally keep the muffs from pushing the eye pro against your head for long periods.

Other than that, I use any decent pair of sunglasses or industrial wrap around glasses.... What ever is handy in the 20-40 dollar range since it'll likely get dropped/stepped on, or eventually lost.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My wife and I have both been using the ESS ICE glasses and they are confortable with muffs on.
    Actually my wife is using the ICE Naro version. Its designed for smaller framed people.
    http://www.essgoggles.com/ICE-Series..._category.html

Feedback Score
    thanks for the quick reply.

I wear a ball cap on the range, and up 'til now I've used a variety of cheap eye protection that can be thrown away once it becomes scratched. However, the cheap eyewear doesn't have a high protection leve, and so far all the different kinds of eye protection I've used (w/ball cap) quickly became uncomfortable (read...headaches) because the muffs pressed them into my skull.

I'm thinking that thin, flexible temple pieces will solve my problem.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    SI M-Frame 2.0 Ballistic

You'll need a friend that can order through military channels though as I don't think Oakley is selling them to regular folks. Best damn glasses around for use with muffs.

Feedback Score
    both the Oakleys and the ICE look like they'd fit the bill. The ICE have bendable ear tabs...couldn't tell with the Oakleys, because the specs weren't listed.

What's the $-range of the Oakleys, Rob?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    SI M-Frame 2.0 Ballistic

You'll need a friend that can order through military channels though as I don't think Oakley is selling them to regular folks. Best damn glasses around for use with muffs.

We get issued those and all of it's predecessors at work. I am not a fan of Oakleys for the simple fact that they break all the time if you use them alot. I have a drawer full of Oakley lenses, frames, nose pieces, arms, etc that easily adds up to a couple grand. Now if I had to buy them out of my pocket, I can guarantee you that drawer wouldn't be any where near full. Great glasses but horrible on durability and ridiculously expensive IMO.

I've used several other brands but they usually end up breaking or the lenses get scratched to hell. What I have found works for me (I realize sunglasses can be a subjective item) are the glasses sold by Liquid Eyewear. I've taken them everywhere, to include overseas and they have survived everything thats been thrown at them. I attribute that to the frames being made of aluminum thats designed to be bent to fit your head. They have ANZI rated lenses in them and they are scratch resistant. They cost about as much as a pair of Oakleys but they are more durable and they are made in the USA. You can pop the lenses out for clear or any other color if you want and since they look like normal sunglasses they don't draw the attention that shields/wraparounds automatically get.

I wear a solid black frame pair with the smoke lenses and find them dark enough for most situations/AOs. I've even seen a couple pair that had a camo frame that didn't look bad , if you're into that.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Bumping an old thread for new recommendations.

I've been wearing Rx glasses for most of my life so I was never really concerned with shooting glasses. I recently started wearing contacts though. Outdoors I just use my sunglasses but I'll be shooting indoors this coming weekend and will need some eye pro.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I use the Smith Aegis Echo II, cheaper through GovX if you qualify.

http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/M...p/AECHABK15-2R

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    These guys make some decent stuff

http://edgeeyewear.com/site_tactical/