Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard pistol case for airline travel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hard pistol case for airline travel

Im looking for a pistol case that with hold a G17 ,three mags and a fifty round box of ammo.
    I want the case as small as possible.
    Any first hand advise?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been using the pelican 1200 for about 2 years. I got mine in a bright orange color, which makes it easier to spot and keep track of. The case is deep enough to give you options. While I wish the lock holes were metal reinforced, they still take a medium size master lock and get the job done. It doesn't take up a lot of space in my checked baggage.
    For about 50 bucks , it has served all my needs.
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks

Does the 1200 fit my above listed items.? Also do you think I could fit a G17 and G19 in the case?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As you can see, there are a chingo-ton of ways you can set the case up. I sliced the main perforated section in half to get the two layers of dark foam you see. You can buy more foam from the craft store to goof around with too. That janky last pic shows a 50 round reloaders box, 3 g17 mags and a g19 mag layered on top of the g19 and g17 you saw in the previous pic. I kind of threw it together to show you what is possible as I don't really travel with that setup and my foam isn't specifically cut for it. Still, it would hold it all nicely.

For me, the lock reinforcements aren't really a deal breaker for casual travel. I have flown with this case 8-10 times and am real keen on it.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Outstanding and thank you

Thanks for the great pics and info. I'm going to order one.
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    TSA rules say the ammo has to be in a separate container and IIRC it has to be in some specific type of fiberboard and/or original factory box. Check the TSA website for the details.

You may want to factor that in when planning your layout.

Thanks for the heads up on the 1200 BTW. I was looking for a 1450, but after seeing the 1200 that looks like a better size to transport a basic CCW rig.

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Pelican is a nice case, but is comparatively more expensive, larger, and heavier than other options. The latter two may be issues if you tend to push your weight limitations or pack tight.

There is no need to put your ammo in the case, unless that is what you prefer.

When I fly, I use a Doskocil/Plano something-or-other obtained from AnyMart or a sporting goods retailer for ~$15.99. The guns go in the case, then the case within a small backpack. Also in the backpack are any holsters, ammo, and other gear I need. Arriving at my destination, I pull the backpack from the checked bag and can carry it discreetly into a restroom or vehicle to arm up. I also don't download my mags anymore, and simply place them in a covered mag pouch.

See several other previous threads on flying with firearms for more ideas.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    TSA rules say the ammo has to be in a separate container and IIRC it has to be in some specific type of fiberboard and/or original factory box. Check the TSA website for the details.
    Good call, I have never gotten any grief from tsa on the plastic ammo box. I typically fly Southwest/Alaskan and keep my mags full (not in the gun of course) in addition to the 50 rounder. Half the time they don't even make me open the Pelican case.
    Holster just goes in with the rest of my luggage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Theres some good info in here http://www.itstactical.com/intellico...=Google+Reader I hope this is alright to post if not delete.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    Quite a bit more flexibility than most realize in those regs. From the TSA website...

• Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
    Last edited by ST911; 08-19-12 at 23:59.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast