Thread: .22LR - rifle or pistol?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

.22LR - rifle or pistol?

So I'm trying to get to the range as much as I can, and one of the main holdups for me is the cost of ammo (reloading is out of the question for me right now too). I was thinking that a .22 may be a good way for me to get more trigger time without breaking the bank too badly in the long run.
    I shoot pistols a little more than my AR (again, mostly due to cost). My main priority now is to just get better with accuracy. This means, I'm trying to get really good with consistent trigger control.

I really do like the thought of having a .22 rifle like the M&P15-22, but would someone who shoots a pistol more get more benefit out of .22 pistol instead? Or will the benefit from shooting a lot of .22 rounds out of a rifle carry over to both?

Can't get both 2 .22's, so just wondering what is the more versatile option for me right now. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I love my 15-22 and am planning on using that a lot more now for training purposes than I have in the past as I am in the same situation. What pistol do you shoot? My next move is to buy the AA conversion kit for my Glock so I can do the same with that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good 22lr pistol AND 22lr drop in conv. kit for AR its also a B.O.B. must.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 08-20-12 at 23:54.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you shoot with a pistol more you should probably go the .22 pistol route. I would like to get one, but I am having a hard time finding a reliable .22 pistol. I have heard atrocious things about the Sig mosquito and Walther P22. Don't know anyone with the Ruger SR22 or the Smith and Wesson M&P 22 so I don't know how those hold up. Without knowing how well they are made, that is why I haven't got a .22 pistol yet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you learn to shoot a pistol then the skills will transition easily to shooting a carbine, however it's not so easy the other way around. The rifle may seem more fun, but the pistol will build your skill quicker. If you can find one, a .22 pistol that resembles your regular handgun in size, weight, sights and trigger would be best for what you want to do.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've gone that route of late myself.. Ron

Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you like to shoot pistols, then get a .22 pistol. There are tons out there. I think dedicated .22 pistols work the best. Also, .22lr guns are inherently finicky. Lots of variations in ammo. Just means your gun may not like every brand. Just find what your gun likes and buy that.

My Buckmark Camper is a BLAST to shoot. In fact, my wife has decided she likes shooting it.

I was going to get the Ruger, but the buckmark felt better. I doubt I would have been unhappy with either. LOTS of good .22 pistols out there. I've put probably 5k-6k through it. and I've only cleaned it twice.

I'd also recommend one of those .22lr "Clip Loader." (I know they are magazines, but that is what the name is). My first day, I shot something like 500-600 rounds, and my thumb was sore from loading the magazine. It works pretty well. Pretty easy to get 9 of the 10 rounds in there that way.

Then get some silloettes and knock them down.

I do plan on getting a .22lr upper when funds come avalable.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I thought about getting a 22 upper as well, but eventually felt a dedicate carbine would be best.. So far I haven't regretted it.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Me too... I have a few m&ps. No issues with these 22s. The pistol is made by walther. It's a tack driver. I no longer take my mk1 to the range. I run about 80%/20% 22lr/9mm & 5.56. Since the ergos are about the same, transition to the higher calibers is easy for me.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Good 22lr pistol AND 22lr drop in conv. kit for AR its also a B.O.B. must.
    I hate the conversions. They don't shoot well generally because the twist rate and bore size is wrong. They get your gun incredibly dirty quickly. Get a 22 upper or dedicated 22 long rifle gun and a 22 pistol
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.