Thread: Underwood's Gold Dot 380 "+p" Ammo Review/Chrono Test

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Underwood's Gold Dot 380 "+p" Ammo Review/Chrono Test

Like a lot of you, I carry a 380 pocket gun sometimes because it's convient and conceals well in most outfits. And like many of you, I view the 380ACP round as relatively underpowered but still much better than nothing. So, the search for a 380 round with relatively good performance has led me to the 90gr Speer Gold Dot rounds and I've trusted them for many years now.

Well, theres a new round out from Underwood Ammo that uses the tested bonded Gold Dot bullet but loads it to a higher pressure (22,900 cup) producing a 43% increase in energy out of my test gun (Bodyguard 380) and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Here's a video and some disscussion documenting the performance mentioned above:

Video Test & Review Link

I realize there's no SAMMI spec for "+p" 380ACP but this is certainly a hot round. With that said, be sure you have a firearm that can handle the chamber pressures caused by using this round––-if not, you may damage your firearm (and hand).

Underwood uses a 3.5'' PPK barrel for their advertised velocity but since most people who carry 380s use a pocket gun, I tested it in a 2.75'' barrel. Here are the results:

Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHPs: 964fps, 186 ft/lbs energy
    Underwood Gold Dot 90gr JHPs: 1154fps, 266 ft/lbs energy

Just throwing this word of caution out---I probably wouldn't use this ammo in a blowback gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

LCP

I need to see the specs on the LCP, to see if these will work in the Ruger.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    I need to see the specs on the LCP, to see if these will work in the Ruger.
    Book says no +P. I am looking for a replacement barrel that can handle this load for mine now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Still considerably less powerful than a mild shooting 9mm from, say, a Kahr CM9 which is only nominally larger than the Ruger LCP.

Shooting this uber-pressure stuff in teeny little guns has always spooked me.

Heavier weapon, heavier caliber for personal defense AFAIC.
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." -Adlai E. Stevenson II

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opdsgt View Post
    Still considerably less powerful than a mild shooting 9mm from, say, a Kahr CM9 which is only nominally larger than the Ruger LCP.

Shooting this uber-pressure stuff in teeny little guns has always spooked me.

Heavier weapon, heavier caliber for personal defense AFAIC.
    I agree... I carry Hornady Critical Defense a stock, in my well broken in and ultra reliable P3AT back-up to my G19 with 124 +P HST's.
    I only ever to expect to deploy my backup at extremely close ranges and fire it one handed, emptying the mag.
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 08-19-12 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How wide is the KAhr CM9 compared to the LCP, I have seen the side comparison, but not a top down. Can you carry it in a front pocket holster wearing shorts and a tshirt? just curious?
    I carry the LCP as a summer time go anywhere in any clothing pocket gun. For the remainder of the time I run with a G19 or G26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    How wide is the KAhr CM9 compared to the LCP, I have seen the side comparison, but not a top down. Can you carry it in a front pocket holster wearing shorts and a tshirt? just curious?
    I carry the LCP as a summer time go anywhere in any clothing pocket gun. For the remainder of the time I run with a G19 or G26.
    We're alike in that we run a smaller summertime gun and a G19 in cooler weather.

There is a difference in size, but because the LCP is smaller doesn't make the CM9 unwieldy by any stretch of the imagination. Here's a comparison photo:

I tote my CM9 (7+1) in a JP Holsters kydex scabbard (handmade, affordable, nice execution, nice guy too) either appendix carry or at 4 o'clock with a 7-round spare mag in a JP Holsters mag pouch reaction side belt. Awesome little package all things considered.
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." -Adlai E. Stevenson II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All guns are built to a design envelope. Having to deal with numerous issues with the Glock 22 I find that slide velocity can be a real issue that profoundly effects reliability.

I would ask, what does this do that a regular .380 JHP doesn't do, and does it do so without effecting reliability and durability of the pistol?

I care not that this ammo is faster and has more KE, does the extra velocity add or subtract from the wounding potential of the GD bullet? I suspect from seeing other such ammo where the bullet is pushed too fast that you are worse off with the faster load, not better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This loading does nothing in terms of making the .380acp a better choice for CCW.

First if the increased velocity causes more rapid expansion then the greater frontal diameter will retard penetration.

Increased muzzle blast and flip will slow down your ability to make rapid controlled hits which will be greatly more amplified in the smaller lighter .380acps.

Greater wear and tear on the pistol which can cause parts breakage down the road.

A controllable loading with deep penetration is whats called for when deploying a .380acp and no jacked up H/P is going to change that.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.