Thread: Need help finding a bag built like the Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Need help finding a bag built like the Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger.

I'm looking for a single strap, over the back, one day pack. Essentially something that will hold a change of clothes, carry gun, a few magazines, and maybe a few small items.

I want something well built, doesn't scream tactical, but I want it in Foliage Green ( I know, FG is a "tactical" color). I want a color that can blend in urban and outdoor environments, that is why I chose FG. It has to be well built and able to sustain a fair amount of use/abuse. The single strap is non-negotiable.

I want a bag that I can have pre-packed and can just grab it and get out of dodge. I don't want a backpack, so no two strap bags, please.

Budget is $100.00 -$130.00

Or should I just buy the Monsoon?

Thanks M4C
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 09-01-12 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Sitka is a nice bag and is more compartmentalized.

Also that Foliage, IMO, doesn't blend in as well as you might think. In fact it seems to stand out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    The Sitka is a nice bag and is more compartmentalized.

Also that Foliage, IMO, doesn't blend in as well as you might think. In fact it seems to stand out.
    Like a turd in a punchbowl...

Feedback Score
    If you can find one, the SDS/Protech "Tac Bag" has a somewhat unique PALS system. It was the first pack I had seen it on, and I actually haven't seen it on anything else. Mine is coyote, but IIRC they had a dark green, black and medium gray that shouldn't be too far off from Foliage.

They are not made anymore though, so...

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Just to update, I went with the 5.11 RUSH MOAB 10 in sandstone. I think for a 1 day pack or, short day trip pack, it will work just fine. The video on the 5.11 website and Youtube were the ones that sold me.

Thanks for the input.

ETA: Now I need to buy the other big 5.11 packs that allow the MOAB 10 to mate to them for a large multi purpose bag.
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 09-03-12 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Just to update, I went with the 5.11 RUSH MOAB 10 in sandstone. I think for a 1 day pack or, short day trip pack, it will work just fine. The video on the 5.11 website and Youtube were the ones that sold me.

Thanks for the input.

ETA: Now I need to buy the other big 5.11 packs that allow the MOAB 10 to mate to them for a large multi purpose bag.
    I think you made a good choice. I have the MOAB 6 and was going to suggest that. I had some stitching come loose on the shoulder pad but 5.11 was quick to send a replacement. Great customer service.

EDIT: I also have the rush72 pack. It's a great backpack with tons of compartments. Makes an excellent bug out bag.
    Last edited by Evil Colt 6920; 09-03-12 at 13:44. Reason: )
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I'll echo what Evil Colt said. I've been using the Monsoon for a couple years however I have a lot less packed in there than you would need so it works for me. However despite being able to fit what I have in there, most of the items are small and therefore manageable to be compartmentalized.

I tried packing some clothes (had to role it real tight) and even still I wasn't able to fit as much as I'd like in there. It's great for a daytrip, but definitely not for an over-nighter. Plus I don't know how tall you are, but at 5'7" I had to cut the shoulder strap down for it to sit right. Other than that it's got a lot of great features on it.