Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safariland Thigh Holster: 1 strap VS 2 strap

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Safariland UBL Adapter is great for range, patrol, etc work.

However, sitting in a vehicle is cumbersome at best. I switched back to a single-strap leg shroud for that very reason.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but frankly it has jack to do with looking cool. YMMV
    Unfortunately, there are quite a few of my co-workers who sport the leg rigs simply for the "cool factor". What makes this even more aggravating are the ones who wear them so low they have to drop their shoulder or bend slightly at the waist to draw.

Our instructors try and explain natural range of motion and how the lower the holster is on the leg the less consistent the draw but it falls on deaf ears.
    Last edited by AZ-Renegade; 09-04-12 at 10:23.
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Forget the draw....just running with that thing flopping around....ugh. Yeah, I don't think anybody's disputing the existence of those simply going for some dippy Old West aesthetic...

...but the idea that there's no middle ground between belt-mounted and too damned low to be useful to some is absolutely unsupportable.

Until one of us who exclusively prefers a two-strap arrangement gets the power to make everybody's physiological stature the exact same as his AND what setup matches the mission parameters they need to fulfill, one-strap arrangements like modded 6004 shouds, -10 shrouds or similar will continue to have positive attributes other appearance .

One can say that without casually pushing the idea that the two-strap setups are somehow only for the Wyatt Earp wannabes, so stating that a properly-done one-strap configuration only fulfills an aesthetic role is pretty limited in scope.

OP, the two-strap stuff, on the average height/frame usually ends up with the upper strap impinging on one's beanbag, if worn at a height appropriate for that same dude to get a decent drawstroke and clear any kit worn to the upper body. Get somebody that's 6'6" and has a 7' wingspan, however...he may need to do something different than a "normal" human (apologies to all you Lurches, out there ; we love you guys, too....). Shorter than average.....things get really silly.

One-strap, be it a modded 6004 shroud or something purpose-built, seems to provide more fitment options for a bigger slice of the middle of the population bell-curve. I know 3 fellas that do what elephantrider's link describes, because the UBL (which I use, no strap...and no bias) isn't a fits-all solution.

I know of one gent who is required to use a specific type of belt, yet cannot use keepers because he wants to be able to turn the belt IOT get to cpecific items. That belt rides up when he hits the kneeling or prone, yet he needs to keep the gun just low enough to clear armor AND allow him to spin the belt. Solution: a modified 6004 shroud....because it was cheaper to mod that than to buy a -10 shroud. The leg strap keeps the belt from riding up, and if he needs to spin it, he just unsnaps the strap to do so.

He's also killed more people than texting-while-driving, so if anybody wants to tell him he only chose that route because it looks "cool"...lemme know how that goes, if you live through the result. I'll be standing well away from the scene because I don't want to end up on a list entitled "Witnesses for the Prosecution."
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I will forgo my list of reasoning for this so I can keep it short and sweet if you want to ask later, I will answer.

I learned this from an instructor that has also taken out a few bad guys in his time......

While wearing a drop leg holster, if you take your wrist and turn your hand in 90 degrees and touch your thigh with your middle finger, the muzzle of your pistol should be sitting on top of your fingers. Any lower and you will be hunting for your pistol as it moves along with your leg or you have to bend over too far to access the retention features of the holster.

So, to the OP, the single strap will serve you well.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSn1...e_gdata_player

Mr. Haley's thoughts on the subject

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12