Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: gripping magwell vs. VFG

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I find it rather interesting that since the release of the new ADM/TD VFG and especially the new LT VFG, all of a sudden everyone NEEDS a VFG.

Someone pointed me to a thread on TOS where there are 11 pages of guys saying "I NEED one of those" yet they have no defined mission need for it - they just decided it was the kewl new toy and it's a must have for gun pr0n pics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never liked using a magwell hold. For me, it seems to put the entire gun off balance and slows me down. Whenever possible I run my hand as far out on the handguard as possible. I also use stubby VFG (if possible) as a handstop and have found this to be the quickest and most accurate method for me.

Feedback Score
    Like Travis and others said, VFG is a reference point for myself....

I could get along with out it, but it does let you find that point on the rail alot quicker where you can anchor down and bend the gravity around you to make the rifle as solid and as much of a piece of you as possible...

Feedback Score

VFG Uses

To expand upon and in support of what Travis explains:

In CQB the VFG also allows for a better grip of a carbine if involved in any type of DT (Defensive Tactics) and can also be of great use while firing from "unusual" positions or from the weak/support side.

A strong and proper CQB hold of the weapon, as Travis describes above, gives the operator fantastic leverage and grip not only for better control with rapid follow up shots but also for weapons retention and non lethal/less than lethal weapons use options if involved in DT (muzzle thrusts ect).

Firing from unusual positions (truly what is unusual for traditional, static, or out dated training is quite common or normal in the current/urban/CQB environment today) is also when the VFG can truly help most shooters. Firing from the supine, urban prone, from behind/around/below/through barricades/bumpers/ports/windows/railings and quickly/efficiently transitioning in between all, can generally be enhanced with the use of a VFG.

The immediacy of leverage, grip, and index the VFG offers; when used in conjunction with red dot, 1X (non-magnifying), parallax free optics and single point slings (so as to not become entangled in 3 point slings or the process becoming a 10 step/Austin Powers procedure); allows for efficient, expeditious, and very effective transitions to and use of weak/support side shooting .

Techniques and equipment that were previously frowned upon and discouraged as ineffective have been used in combat, revisited, enhanced, and are now instructed and encouraged as effective fundamentals and TTPs which warriors have and are right now utilizing overseas to great effect.

Never about fads or looks, always about commitment, mindset, efficiency, preparation, and constant learning, flexibility, practice, reevaluation, and improvement, "untill there is no enemy, only Peace."
    Eric Torres

Feedback Score
    Many thanks for all the info this thread has accumulated.

Feedback Score

heat transfer from mag well

Not sure if other people have ran in to the problem but even with gloves on i have had the mag well grip get so hot that i have had to switch styles of shooting during the firing. Also using a VFG doesn't get hot, and gives you way better control during rapid firing and sustainment of that fire. VFG can be useful for shooting off doorways and and other alternative firing positions where you need to lean into the weapon to stabilize and not be on the barrel.

Feedback Score

Why I perfer the VFG

Short and to the point. 1. For CQB applications, it provides me with what I feel is a more natural fighting stance. 2. I like my light mounted at 4 o'clock with the VFG behind it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345