Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Steyr AUG A3 (vltor)

Feedback Score

2012 Steyr AUG A3 (vltor)

I couldn't find a thread about the new Steyr AUG A3's, so I'll start this in case you haven't seen anything about them yet...

Steyr press release:

Press Release- Aug/A3 returns in August

Wednesday, August 01, 2012
    Steyr Arms Announces That Its Iconic AUG A3 Bullpup Design Will Be Available to American Shooters With A Cold-Hammer-Forged Barrel

TRUSSVILLE, Ala. (August 2, 2012) —Steyr Arms, the only licensed manufacturer of Steyr products in North America, has announced that the AUG A3 will be available later this month. Assembled by Steyr-Mannlicher-trained gunsmiths in its Trussville, Ala., manufacturing facility, the new flat-top AUG A3 will feature European-style cold-hammer-forged barrels and the legendary tulip-style muzzle brake.

With an overall length of 28.15 inches including a 16-inch barrel attached, the AUG A3 is not only 8 inches shorter than an AR-15 carbine with a comparable-length barrel, it runs exceptionally cleaner due to its short-stroke-gas-piston operation. Its stainless steel operation and guide rods offer unparalleled smoothness in operation as well as exceptional reliability. Dual gas-adjustment settings ensure its operation even with the dirtiest of ammunition.

The Steyr AUG A3’s 25-position Picatinny rail makes sighting options nearly limitless, to include numerous optics and back-up iron sights. The AUG A3 has all the classic features and benefits that established it as the pinnacle of modern rifle design, including expedient disassembly as well as simple conversion to left-hand operation, which requires replacement of the standard bolt with the optional left-eject bolt. It also features a quick-change barrel with a collapsible forward grip. The AUG A3, which comes with a transparent polymer 30-round magazine, has a suggested retail price of $2,099.

Several companies have attempted to reverse engineer the iconic Steyr AUG for the American public, but unless a rifle boasts the interrupted four-ring Steyr bullseye beside “Steyr Arms” stamped on the receiver, it is not an authentic Steyr product. Any imitation rifles and/or parts do not carry Steyr Arms’ unconditional support, nor will the company warrant or repair them.

For more information about the AUG A3, visit its microsite at www.steyrarms.com/microsites/aug.
    Last edited by STG77; 08-30-12 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    PETE ATHENS:

We had the pleasure to be invited to the Steyr Arms facility this week to observe their endurance testing for a couple of days on the new AUG A3 Vltor receivers.

By the way the receivers look great! Eric and his crew at Vltor do great work!

16,000 rounds are fired through the receiver by an Austrian Steyr AUG engineer, Alex Giesen & Steyr Arms Master Gunsmith Herbert G. Zero malfunctions occurred through the testing!

Now let's don't forget the Sabre AUG A3 receivers went through the same endurance testing.

There are a couple of 100 AUG A3 rifles built, just waiting for the barrels to come in from FN. Each A3 with be test fired 5 rounds. Then they will be ready to go!

Steyr is in the process of getting a variance from the ATF that would allow them to have Vltor machine the receivers without Vltor's name or info on them. Soon there will be three types of receivers that have "Sabre Defence", "Vltor", and "Steyr" on them...

All pictures belong to Pete Athens

20,000rd endurance test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crTIVGUZfVk
    Last edited by STG77; 08-30-12 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    Barrels offered in: 24, 20, 18, 16, 16 (OAL with machined flash hider into barrel stock), and 14 inch versions.
    All barrels are CL CHF made by FN on Steyr mandrels, in the same process and appearance as the original Austrian barrels.

Some pics of pre production barrels on an A3 CQC.
    All pictures belong to Pete Athens. Please be respectful.

A3 CQC model:

The last picture is ironic, because he was banned from TOS 12 days after posting that picture.
    Last edited by STG77; 08-30-12 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    tag for updates.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    OK, I'm interested. Price, expected release date, etc.? Also, what style mags will these use?
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-30-12 at 22:39.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man I love the AUG. I'm looking forward to buying a bunch of FN cold hammer forged barrels for my current USR-turned-A2 and A3. Glad to see the A3 coming back; we have Pete Athens and Steyr to thank.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    OK, I'm interested. Price, expected release date, etc.? Also, what style mags will these use?
    Price for standard model (not the CQC model with extended forearm rails) will be just under $2k from my understanding.

Mags, well they use AUG mags if using the standard AUG stock and AR15 mags if using a NATO stock.

As for availability, I think Pete Athens and Ratworx have them now.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 08-30-12 at 23:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    They are already available for sale as of this week. I know that Pete at PJS has or had a bunch, the rest went to distributors to get handed out to gun stores...

Price is ~$1995 for the AUG A3 (I do not know exact prices).

Price for the A3 with NATO stock is $100 more than the normal A3.

Price for the A3 CQC is not known yet, they won't be out for a few more weeks. Pete Athens mentioned that an A3 CQC with the A3 SF scope could be less than 3k, I also recall reading something about the CQC being a 3 or 4 hundred dollar premium, but I am not sure on it...

The NATO stock allows you to use USGI type magazines. PMAG's can be used, but have the same problems as the Tavor and SCAR, etc. of the magazine damaging the gun. Magpul believes the M3 mag is supposed to fix that...

The AUG magazines are superior in every way to a USGI, Lancer, or PMAG. Buying an AUG to use with USGI mags is like buying a porsche and putting geo metro tires on it. An AUG with inferior USGI type mags is not going to give you the reliability and dependability as with using the original magazines.

I am in no way associated with Steyr or anyone who is selling or distributing the new AUG. I've mentioned Pete Athens multiple times in this thread as he is the king of the AUG world, and has been for the last 29 years. No one has more knowledge/experience or has done more for the AUG in the USA than he has.
    Last edited by STG77; 08-30-12 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    Some things that Pete has mentioned:

OD Green A3 stocks should be out soon.
    Left hand NATO stocks are a maybe.
    FDE A3 stocks could happen if there were enough interest (500 needed for a run).

Spare barrels will be coming. FN CL CHF, etc etc...
    24" 20" 18" 16" 14" and a 16" that has the flash hider machined into the barrel stock (a "pinned" 14" barrel without pinning).

Everything is ready for 9mm kits again, the only thing lacking are 9mm barrels. It might be a 6 or more months before seeing 9mm kits back for sale.

Steyr is perfecting their .22lr kit and won't release it until it is flawless.

Other scope options might be available.

The SF A3 AUG is a maybe, the cost would be higher due to the glass...

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast