Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Steyr AUG A3 (vltor)

Feedback Score
    From what I understand, Pete is going to be including the original top rail with the CQC model, so you will have the option of using it either way, depending on the situation.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pentosinjunkie View Post
    If you're referring to the Blue Force Gear ten-speed pouches, yes, they should. The FastMag is a separate, specific product made by ITW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I am referring to the fast mag, not the ten speed pouch. Bfg sells the fast mag on their website, of which I own two. I didn't realize they did not manufacture them on their own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I'm curious if the CQC rail couldn't be retrofitted to a standard A3 without a great deal of angst later on. Granted, I've got no problem waiting for the CQC, but isn't the forward rail section the only practical difference between the two? I suppose the top rail could be affected as well, but still ...

AC
    I asked Pete about this, and he said the CQC can be added to an A3 later. My only query at this point is about barrel length - Pete said that the CQC models are using a special extended flash hider. I'm not yet sure how the CQC will interact with the standard 16" barrel.
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how many Sabre receivers are still out there in the production queue, and whether they will be exhausted with standard variant assemblies, or appear in some later CQC builds as well. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever, but I'm just trying to get a sense for how much old stock was left over, and how many receivers VLTOR has really managed to complete so far.

AC
    Quote Originally Posted by STG77 View Post
    From the auctioned off Sabre Defence inventory:
    1250020045 Finished Receiver Housing Greystone Quantity 1124
    1250020045-1 Semi finished Receiver Housing Quantity 120
    124002001R Raw Receiver Housing Anchor Harvey Quantity 5,124
    While the above inventory may be correct (as specified by auction information), according to Pete Athens the VLTOR receivers are almost here...

First 650 A3s Will Have Sabre Machined Receivers
    With FN Barrels (Collector Piece) Call Or Email To Get Yours!
    VLTOR Machining Receivers (4-6 weeks out)
    http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/USAUG.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I let Pete know about his thread and how it yielded my sale.

Thank you Ed L. for the LT660-HK suggestion. I'm hoping it works well. Anyone have any suggestions for iron sights? (the pitfalls of not getting the military optic)

Feedback Score
    I love the front rail system on these, it should save my hands from touching the gas block.

I'd like to see a 300 blk barrel too, I think the Aug would be a good platform for it
    Last edited by bigdog2003_99; 09-09-12 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tresmonos View Post
    I let Pete know about his thread and how it yielded my sale.

Thank you Ed L. for the LT660-HK suggestion. I'm hoping it works well. Anyone have any suggestions for iron sights? (the pitfalls of not getting the military optic)
    Do you mean back-up sights or iron sights until you get an optic? I didn't run back-up sights on the AUGa3 that I had for eval.

Here is a close-up of the Aimpoint T-1 with the Larue HK660 mount

Here is a picture of the AUGA3 (left) next to my AUGA2 with its integral scope. This AUGA3 in this photo has the Sabre barrel with the muzzle brake. The new FN barrels will have a bell shaped flash hider.

Last edited by Ed L.; 09-09-12 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmmm. Not much room for a BUIS. One reason to go with the CQC (better perpendicular alignment). Thank you for the pictures.
    Last edited by tresmonos; 09-09-12 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For whatever reason, I don't run BUIS on the eval AUG that I had. I remember reading in Kyle Lambs book that he never had to use his BUIS. Also, the AUGA3 didn't seem to lend itself to it--it seemed cluttered. Though I remember seeing some people who have set them up with Magpul Front & Rear BUIS. I am confident enough in the Aimpoint to be happy with running it by itself. I have it positioned all the way back on the A3's rail. It seems to work best for me there. When I shoulder the gun the Aimpoint's tube comes up naturally when I look through it.

Also with the AUG you have the issue of the charging handle on the left side. The T-1 is minimal profile and having it all the way back the way I have it set up keeps it out of the way when you work the AUG's charging handle. You can see the position of the charging handle below:

Keep in mind that there is no problem your hand in the way of the charging handle with the AUG's original integral scope.

If you look at the picture below and compare the position of the T-1 on the AUG with the T-1 on the HK416 upper you can see that they are roughly in the same place when I bring the gun up to my shoulder. I typically run the AR/416 with the stock out one position. At the time this photo was taken, I had not yet equpped the 416 upper with a rear BUIS.

Last edited by Ed L.; 09-09-12 at 16:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you for the comparison to the mounting on a AR platform. That gives me a good perspective.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast