Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Steyr AUG A3 (vltor)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Got a LT106 in the mail from SKD Tactical today. No shock - the LaRue mount is a huge improvement over the ARMS. If you're using a CQ/T with your AUG, the LaRue mount is the only way to go. Now that the lever is on the opposite side, there is much less to interfere with the charging handle.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    ETA: I can't help but wonder if the taller military height rail helps to alleviate this issue. Why are there two rail heights anyway?
    To answer my own question, I asked Pete Athens why there are two different rail heights. Disappointingly (but unsurprising), the answer is that the commercial rail uses less material and is cheaper to make. This reminds me of cost cutting AR manufacturers using commercial receiver extensions...I'll sign scottryan's petition on this - Steyr shouldn't skimp out on the rail. There is a 1/4" difference in height between the military and commercial rails - that could be a significant factor with optics compatibility considering the path of the charging handle.

Quote Originally Posted by GPSIG View Post
    Great review JSGlock34, sounds like a pretty interesting gun. I used to shoot an A1 a lot, perhaps establishing my love for SBR-length guns (and Miami Vice reruns!).
    I think that there must be a Miami Vice fan at Vltor - why else would they be working to bring both the Bren Ten and the AUG back into production?

Coincidence? I say not!
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-19-12 at 19:22.
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To answer my own question, I asked Pete Athens why there are two different rail heights. Disappointingly (but unsurprising), the answer is that the commercial rail uses less material and is cheaper to make.
    That freaking sucks and supports scottryan's remarks. What a load of crap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tresmonos View Post
    That freaking sucks and supports scottryan's remarks. What a load of crap.
    It is such a minor point, I just cannot understand why folks are getting bent out of shape over replaceable items. Spend the extra $200 and get the military rail. In the grand scheme of things this is not a serious amount of money. I could understand this level of frustration if the rail were not removable, but given that it can be changed, I just don't see the negative hype that is playing out. And it's not as if this is new news; the Sabre Defense A3s could be had with commercial or military rail when they were released over two years ago.

The lower rail actually better accommodates AR15 height optic mounts. Since I use all LaRue mounts, this works out well and allows me to borrow optics from other rifles to use on my A3 should I get the itch to do so (ie magnified optics) instead of the T1 that lives on my A3.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-20-12 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think that there must be a Miami Vice fan at Vltor - why else would they be working to bring both the Bren Ten and the AUG back into production?

Coincidence? I say not!
    Nice! Good pick up! The bigger question is who amongst us is NOT a Miami Vice fan?
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-20-12 at 01:49.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    It is such a minor point, I just cannot understand why folks are getting bent out of shape over replaceable items. Spend the extra $200 and get the military rail. In the grand scheme of things this is not a serious amount of money. I could understand this level of frustration if the rail were not removable, but given that it can be changed, I just don't see the negative hype that is playing out.
    I agree that the flashhider and rail are really minor points. Though I'd like to see Steyr offer more options with the factory A3, at the end of the day, the parts are available and easily replaced by the user. I'm still just happy to see the rifle back in production - and if you really want your A3 to conform to military specifications, it is easily done.
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It would be nice if the mil spec rail was an added option, not something you have to pay 230$ and then be stuck with the commercial one as a paper weight.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Random question: How would one mount and run a light on a non-CQC model?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    It is such a minor point, I just cannot understand why folks are getting bent out of shape over replaceable items..
    Absolutely, and I'm kind of losing my sense of humor (and patience) over this foolishness. The US AUG A3 is what it is, period -- and the feature set being offered is a very good one. The only reason any of these sidebars keep coming up is because the rifle has a long history of military service and development abroad, and a number of improvements/changes/retrofits have been made available as a result.

Higher rails, different optics, various flash hiders, optional front-ends, NATO stocks ... the list goes on and on. If Mr. Athens wishes to import some of these components and/or make them available to the US market, that is a very good thing, but it certainly doesn't reflect poorly on Steyr USA that they are concentrating on producing a core product to a reasonable price point right now. The rest of this is so subjective as to boggle the imagination, and I see no reason why we should wish for them to add a dozen different catalogued versions to suit customer whims that are easily accomodated after-the-sale. Lest we forget, we are indeed fortunate that the rifle is again being made available in any configuration at all.

As Josh has pointed out, if the rifle did come with the higher rail, we would invariably have a backlash of customers who were upset that their existing AR optics configurations were now useless without all new mounts, etc. etc. Guys that wanted simple flash hiders would complain that the brakes make the gun unpleasant to fire because of the ultra-short form factor. Shooters who prefer the original VFG configuation would chafe at unnecessary rail configurations. There are simply too many variables in play to meet the expectations of every would-be owner, so to my mind, it makes very good sense indeed for Steyr USA to offer a nice, clean base rifle, and leave the add-ons and optional kitting possibilities to the likes of Athens and others looking to support the platform.

Enough already.

AC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure this has been answered somewhere but does the detachable barrel return to zero after being removed and then reinstalled?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I would hope so! Removing the barrel is pretty much the first thing you do when field stripping the rifle and the last thing to go back on the rifle when you reassemble it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast