Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Steyr AUG A3 (vltor)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Who built the barrels on the Sabre / Steyr A3s and why aren't they as good as FN?
    I believe Sabre made their own barrels in house (they did have a M16A4 contract for the USMC, though the only Sabre marked M16A4 I've ever seen was at the USMC Museum). However, the Sabre barrels were not cold hammer forged. Considering the original Steyr AUG used cold hammer forged barrels, arguably the FN barrels are closer to the original design.
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Who built the barrels on the Sabre / Steyr A3s and why aren't they as good as FN?
    Sabre built the barrels. The one I T&E'ed managed 1.75" groups at 100 yards fired from prone with the Leupold CQC when I did everything right using 55 grain Black Hills ammo. From the bench it managed postage sized groups at 50 yards from the bench at an indoor range using an Aimpoint T-1 with a 4 M.O.A. dot. I put a little over 1000 rounds through it and did not notice any degradation in accuracy.

The AUGa3 weighs 7.7lbs unloaded without a sight.

I think my A2 weighs a little over 8lbs with its integral optic. It does not feel as heavy as a comparable weight AR because the center of gravity of the AUG is further back closer to your body.

Feedback Score

Talking suppressor use.....

Wow this is to tempting. That cqc model looks sweet. I wonder if the rail would interfere with a Surefire flash hider and a Surefire suppressor. I could easily add a light to the rail as well.

Speaking of which, how well do AUGs run suppressed? Do any changes to the recoil spring need to be made? I'm not that familiar with how these rifles work other than they use a short stroke piston.

I was debating on a scar 16 vs 17, but now I might buy one of my favorite rifles from Die Hard. Good to hear that some people have run them in classes. Do AUG magazines work in blue force gear's M4 Fastmags? If they do, I could Use it at a class or in a 3 gun match for fun.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    My pussy arms can handle anything that is between 7-8 lbs stock and unloaded. I start to notice things when we get past the 8 lbs mark - especially when I still have to add ammo, optics, light, nail file, can opener, etc.

Having said that, I've shouldered the AUG A3 last year at Shooters of Columbus when I saw one on their rack. It felt lighter than a stock M4 and I was surprised to learn that it gives-up a pound to the M4. I don't think that the additional pound of rail estate on the CQC model will be a deal breaker for me.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreaopla View Post
    Any idea on when CQCs will be out and availability of 1 in 7 twist barrels?
    Pete says they should be available in a month or so. The point of failure right now is the front end rail

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
    Pete says they should be available in a month or so. The point of failure right now is the front end rail
    I'm not sure if those CQC barrels will be 1:7 twist. My expectation is that they will be 1:9. I've not heard any word yet about 1:7 twist being available anytime soon - I'm sure that it will happen some day though...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'm not sure if those CQC barrels will be 1:7 twist. My expectation is that they will be 1:9. I've not heard any word yet about 1:7 twist being available anytime soon - I'm sure that it will happen some day though...
    Sorry for the confusion I meant the Cqc model, not the 1:7 twist barrels

Feedback Score
    Sabre Def. built the barrels.
    While Sabre Def. made some very nice barrels, the barrels they provided to Steyr were not of the same quality as FN is now producing.

The SDI barrels were plane jane chrome moly button rifled 1/9 with a compensator. These barrels were not chrome lined. SDI could have made excellent barrels with their CMV steel and then CL them, but they didn't...

The new FN barrels are cold hammer forged on Austrian mandrels straight from Steyr using the FN "machine gun steel". These have the same outer profile/dimensions as the A1 Austrian barrels and have a mannox finish (both of which the SDI barrels don't have).
    These are chrome lined and come with the original style "tulip" flash hider instead of the compensator.
    The FN barrels also come in 1/9, but will be available in 1/7 either in the future as a replacement barrel or as an option (not known yet). But we do know that FN has made 1/7 AUG barrels. Pete has one...

The SDI A3's and these new A3's are virtually identical in every way, except for the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Wow this is to tempting. That cqc model looks sweet. I wonder if the rail would interfere with a Surefire flash hider and a Surefire suppressor. I could easily add a light to the rail as well.

Speaking of which, how well do AUGs run suppressed? Do any changes to the recoil spring need to be made? I'm not that familiar with how these rifles work other than they use a short stroke piston.

I was debating on a scar 16 vs 17, but now I might buy one of my favorite rifles from Die Hard. Good to hear that some people have run them in classes. Do AUG magazines work in blue force gear's M4 Fastmags? If they do, I could Use it at a class or in a 3 gun match for fun.

Thanks!
    AUG's don't suppress as well as other guns.
    AUG mags won't fit in a M4 fastmag.

How an AUG works:
    SEE POST BELOW

Last edited by STG77; 09-05-12 at 00:48.

Feedback Score

How an AUG functions:

Twenty-eight machine operations shape the pressure-die-cast aluminum alloy receiver, which is finished with baked enamel. Carrying handle and optical sights are integeral with the receiver casting on all but the HBAR model. The receiver itself does not carry or guide the bolt assembly. A steel barrel extension containing recesses for the bolt's and barrel's locking lugs is fitted to the rear of the receiver. The barrel extension is held in place by two, thin-walled steel tubes, flanged at each end for retension on the receiver casting. These tubes also act as bearings for the bolt carrier's guide rods...

Seven locking lugs are machined into the rotary bolt, and an eighth lug is on the extractor. The ejector is a spring loaded bump-type. Extractor and ejector positions are reversed on the left-handed shooter's bolt.

Like nearly every other modern self-loading rifle, the bolt rotates by camming action. But leave it to the AUG to arrange the machinery in a completely different way. Retained by a roll pin and held in the up position by the firing pin, the cam-pin is set into the rear of the bolt.

Since the receiver is an aluminum casting and wouldn't hold up well to the slamming action of the cam-pin, a steel pressing with a cut-out cam-path sits on top of the bolt body. That pressing rotates the bolt by guiding the cam-pin through the bolt carrier's cam-slot. The firing-pin spring hooks around a nub on the end of the cam-plate, and the plastic guide plug friction fits inside the spring. A slot in the cocking piece allows the firing pin to protrude and hold the cocking piece in place at the end of the bolt carrier. A small roller mounted at the top rear of the bolt carrier eases its movement back and forth in the stock body.

Two hollow steel guide rods brass-brazed to the bolt carrier contain the two recoil springs. They are not normally removed for maintenance. During recoil, the return springs are compressed against two solid steel rods permanently mounted inside the stock assembly. Guide rod tubes are chrome plated. The gas piston drives the bolt group backwards by means of the piston furnished by the right-hand rod. The left-hand rod bears retracting handle pressure when they are connected by the forward assist button. Should the gas cylinder become clogged, the tip of the left hand guide rod can be used as a reamer to remove excess fouling. That may seem overly complicated, but it's not...

Each barrel has eight lugs around the chamber end which engage the receiver's barrel extension. As the bolt engages the rear of the barrel extension, the cartridge is loaded into the chamber without stress on the receiver body...

An exterior sleeve sweated onto the barrel contains the gas port, piston, cylinder, gas regulator, and the vertical foregrip hinge assembly. Three M16 style split rings seal the chromed piston, and the return spring is attached to the piston. Gaps on the rings (washers) should always be positioned so they remain separated in use.

There are three gas regulator positions. Position 1 (small dot on the gas cylinder) is the normal setting and permits the largest amount of gas to escape into the atmosphere. Position 2 (large dot on the gas cylinder) diverts more gas into the system for adverse conditions or extreme fouling. Position GR blocks gas escape for firing blank (ballistite) cartridges to launch rifle grenades of the non-bullet trap type. In the GR position the rifle cannot cycle. To adjust the regulator, pull out the top of the gas plug and rotate it until the ball detent is aligned with the desired position...

The stock holds two steel operating rods in guides on either side of the magazine well. They connect the trigger to the firing mechanism. Immediately above the pistol grip a plastic crossbolt safety holds the trigger rods. Press to the right for the "safe" position (white dot) and left for fire (red dot). The crossbolt's disassembly lock pin retains the bolt and receiver groups. Find that lock pin just forward of the magazine well and press it to the right to remove these components from the stock housing...

Behind the magazine well, the shoulder butt portion of the stock assembly contains the hammer mechanism module and the rear end of the bolt group. A hook on the front of the butt provides a hand rest when firing the heavy barrel off the bipod in the prone position... the butt plate is made of synthetic rubber which offers good adhesion to the shoulder. It is held in place by the rear sling swivel's locking pin.

Contained in an open-topped plastic box, the modular hammer mechanism is fabricated entirely of plastic, except for pins, springs, the drop safety, and the lock-bolt latch. Even the hammer is plastic. And yet, according to Austrian tests, the mechanism will withstand more than 100,000 firing cycles before failure...

----STEYR AUG; This Bullpup's No Dog
    by Peter Kokalis, Technical Editor for Soldier Of Fortune magazine circa 1985----

SUPER DETAILED EXPLODED DIAGRAM:
    Last edited by STG77; 09-05-12 at 01:02.

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast