Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr trainer question

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

22lr trainer question

Here is the deal guys. I own a ruger 10/22 and a couple savage 22s and I never shoot them. I use them for hunting small game very rarely. It dawned on me the other day that I could ditch those guns to fund getting some for of a 22 trainer. I would use it more and could still use it for the rare small game hunt.

My question is on what is the best option. Dedicated rifle like the smith and wesson, dedicated upper, or the conversion kit?

I have heard mixed things on the conversion kit. It is convenient. It is nice that it is small and could be thrown in a bug out bag for survival issues, but other then that, I have heard the are very finicky and can really foul up your gun. The last thing I want to do is introduce reliablity issues in my pricey go to gun.

I do not know much about dedicated uppers. I have heard lots of good thing about the smith and wesson 22s and a freind owns one and likes it. I know it is not identicl as there is a lot less movement in the chargin handle and stuff but everything is still in the same place and the manual of arms is the same.

Looking for insight,
    THanks.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The 15-22 seems to be the best path.
    I am saying this as an owner of a .22 upper that I got with the intention of keeping as true to my primary carbine as I could. As soon as I have the disposable funds I am going to replace the unit with a 15-22. I probably won't get rid of the upper, but it will certainly take a back-seat to the dedicated unit.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I am saying this as an owner of a .22 upper that I got with the intention of keeping as true to my primary carbine as I could. As soon as I have the disposable funds I am going to replace the unit with a 15-22. I probably won't get rid of the upper, but it will certainly take a back-seat to the dedicated unit.

I am starting to think that this is the route I am going to go. They seem to be pretty solid for a 22. The price is right too.

Feedback Score

I apologize if this thread is too old to drag up.

Can I ask what you don't like about the dedicated upper .22's? I'm looking into some form of .22 trainer, and had some concerns over the lack of weight of the mp15-22. However, the price is certainly attractive. Ive pretty much been arguing with myself in circles, so any insight on your preference would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Chumly

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 15-22 has a functional bolt release, charging handle, and no forward assist. On the dedicated uppers I have seen the bolt release and forward assist are there, but for looks only. Lame. The 15-22 is also compatible with aftermarket triggers and has a mil-spec RE.

I ordered a MOE FDE version 2 weeks ago, since no one has them in stock. I sent an e-mail to S&W to find out how long I may be waiting. They promptly responded and told me that the guns were being built and shipped daily, and that I was wise to order one from a dealer since they are in such great demand.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

+1000. The 15/22 works just like your serious carbine, and can be easily set up to be similar without spending too much money. This is the one place where I think the El Cheapo accessories are appropriate. I bought a Walther red dot Aimpoint clone in a cantilever mount for mine from Amazon for $60, and I had enough extra rail covers, VFG, and Surefire parts lying around to cobble up a VERY close facsimile of how I set up my carbines. The only issue is the weight, and I'm working on a solution for that (stick-on wheel weights look promising so far.)

Mine has been very reliable with the regular cheap-ass Wal-Mart Remington .22, and all my gear works with it. I think it's a winner.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumly View Post
    Can I ask what you don't like about the dedicated upper .22's? I'm looking into some form of .22 trainer, and had some concerns over the lack of weight of the mp15-22. However, the price is certainly attractive. Ive pretty much been arguing with myself in circles, so any insight on your preference would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Chumly
    Pretty much what has been noted by others.
    I use a GI trigger in my GP carbine, so the stock 15-22 trigger is fine. I use a railed HG, so the one that comes stock on the 15-22 is fine, whereas I would have to dump additional funds into a rail for the upper.

I don't really care about a bolt release or forward assist, as the 22, for me, is for fundamental and single shot drills. Manipulations are better done on the "real" carbine, both in dry practice and live repetitions.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The newer (last 2 years or so?) CMMG .22LR conversions and uppers actually have a functional forward assist, bolt hold open, and bolt release/catch.

Since a 15-22 costs about as much as a .22LR upper, I'd get the 15-22 in every situation except if you have a MG or SBR AR-15 lower receiver... then I'd get a .22LR upper so you don't have to buy another tax stamp for a short barreled .22LR weapon.

And if we're talking about tin-foil SHTF, I'd get a conversion kit for a 223/556 AR upper, in order to minimize weight and bulk. It'll let you hunt small game as well as medium-sized game with one weapon system and a bolt.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 09-11-12 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My vote goes to the S&W 15/22 as well.. It's nice to have a complete/dedicated carbine (IMO) and it emulates the AR very well.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    The newer (last 2 years or so?) CMMG .22LR conversions and uppers actually have a functional forward assist, bolt hold open, and bolt release/catch.
    Yep -- love my CMMG .22 upper. I had them send mine unassembled so I didn't have to take it apart to install the DD Omega X 12.0 rail I had been saving for it. It's my go-to gun for teaching newbies and for when I just want to spend a couple "cheaper hours" on at the range. The bonus is that mine works just as well with my lowers that have G.I. fire-control groups in them as it does with the one I run with an SD-E.
    Last edited by warriorsociologist; 09-11-12 at 15:23.
    -Chris
    NRA Lifer & Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast