Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which .223 Bullet for AR Reloading?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Which .223 Bullet for AR Reloading?

Part two of Jelly's ammunition woes;

As I have mentioned a few times, I'm working on getting set up to reload for my AR (slowwwwwly. ).

I have been looking into which bullets and reloading components to use and I am SO confused, especially with bullets. There's just to freaking many types and weights and brands to figure out. In fact for .223 ammo, I'actually looking at a .224 bullet, right?

So here's the situation:

>I am looking for a decent general purpose bullet.
    >I would like it to be more accurate (doesn't have to be "Match" Sierras or something- just better than your average bulk ammo), as well as more effective with soft targets *cough* than your standard 55gr. FMJ.
    >I would like to get into something a little heavier to take advantage of this 1:7 barrel I've got. A the same time, I am not in the mood for a hassle in trying to get the OAL down to fit in the magazine.... I'm currently ruminating over something in the 60-something Grain range.
    >I would also like it to be reasonably affordable to buy a metric ton of the things.

If there is no One Magic Bullet to Rule Them All that fits my above criteria, than I'd be open to dividing planned reloading between TWO bullet types (but absolutely no more or I'll drive myself crazy)- one for bulk plinking/training, and one for stashing/accuracy/effectiveness.

But I'd REALLY like to just invest in one type and be done with it. Yes, I know it may take a little tweaking to sort out what my rifle likes, but you know what I mean.

That's all- easy, right?

A little background:
    I am running a standard DD V3 16" barrel AR, no match-grade stuff.
    I already have a bunch of CCI #41 primers to start with.
    Planning on starting with some Ramshot TAC powder, subject to whatever I end up finding to buy first... (although I am open to other types, if you have a bullet/powder load that works better).
    I will be starting with whatever brass I have on hand, namely a pile of once-fired PMC .223 or Federal LC 5.56 (If I decide I want to fool with it), that I've been collecting religiously.
    Reloading will be for the purpose of both building up a stash, producing more efective "bulk" ammo, as well as reducing costs for training/plinking.

If this has been beat to death already, or covered better in a previous post/site, by all means post up the links to it.

Ideas?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 09-04-12 at 20:53.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Yes, the 5.56/223 Rem bullets are .224.

I guess I don't understand your intended purpose very well, are you looking for a combination plinking / defense bullet / cheap bullet? That's sort of like the marketing saying of "good, fast, and cheap, but you can only pick two."

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no one do it all bullet from the specifics you gave.

If it were me, I'd get a 62 grain for plinking. Now if you go steel core m855 style, or lead core is up to you (and if you can even find the lead core). Then, load some for defensive / hunting. Decide exactly what you want to use the defensive stuff for, and then research what bullet / load will suit you best. There is TONS of data out there once you make that decision.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do not have the time (nor equipment) to be able to reload mass amounts of plinking ammo. So the ammo I do reload, I try to make a load that I really feel is hand tailored to me and my rifle. I also have a 1/7 twist and use 69hpbt up to the 77gr (anything matchking) over Varget, seated to mag length, shot from bench/scope. I enjoy this more than spending 1-2 hours making 55gr of generic ammo in a single stage press. I dunno makes the time/process more rewarding (for me at least) for the AR platform. Is also kinda why I got into alt. cals for AR, oh ya here is Sierra reloading manual. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...loading+manual
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Look at the nosler custom competition they are accurate and relatively cheap. You can usually get a thousand of the 69 or 77's for around 180 dollars. If you do two bullets the hornady 55 fmj are very accurate for what they are. More than likely you Will end up loading more than two types of bullets.

Right now for 556 i load 50&62 ttsx, 53,55,62,70 tsx, 75 Amax, 75 hornady bthp, 60 nosler partitions, 64 nosler bonded solid base, 53,55,60 Vmax, 77 match kings, 65 gamekings, there a few more i can not think of with out pulling out my books and look over all the bullets i have. You should be able to handle two loads.

For powders try imr8208xbr, cfe223, rl15, ARcomp, tac, varget, and h335. Some powders Will work with heavy and light bullets, but in my experience use a different powder for heavies and lite bullet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    More than likely you Will end up loading more than two types of bullets.
    Yep. End of story.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i bought a few hundred 64g powerpoints last week, they were on sale at midway

a decent do all bullet for me.

but i run cheapest 55's i can find for practice

75's or 77's in my 18in gun

then keep a godd premium bullet loaded for hunting

probably more complicated but it works for me

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nosler 60g Ballistics tips, backed with TAC have been a great combo in my DDM4, 1 MOA at 100 loaded to the bottom of the cannalure with just a very light crimp.

Feedback Score
    If your looking for a general purpose SD/HD/plinking bullets that will be both accurate and cheap- pick a bulk buy in a SP 55gr-63gr! Thats as good as you will get. Doesn't have to be bonded yada, yada! Your shooting a freaking rifle round! And I sure all the big money guys here will say you have to go with the most exspenvive factory SD rounds in 60gr or more! Which is absolute BS! I gaurentee you shoot someone COM with a SP rifle round - they are done! Don't get hung up on there barrier blind this /auto glass that. Your not a cop you don't need to worry about that shit! If you absolutely need to penertrate a barrier - have a mag full of 55FMJ or Green tip to switch too!
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 09-05-12 at 15:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    If your looking for a general purpose SD/HD/plinking bullets that will be both accurate and cheap- pick a bulk buy in a SP 55gr-63gr! Thats as good as you will get. Doesn't have to be bonded yada, yada! Your shooting a freaking rifle round! And I sure all the big money guys here will say you have to go with the most exspenvive factory SD rounds in 60gr or more! Which is absolute BS! I gaurentee you shoot someone COM with a SP rifle round - they are done! Don't get hung up on there barrier blind this /auto glass that. Your not a cop you don't need to worry about that shit! If you absolutely need to penertrate a barrier - have a mag full of 55FMJ or Green tip to switch too!
    Your info is absolutely wrong fmj are shown to do worse through barriers than the bonded bullets. With reloading you can afford to shoot the nicer bullets. You are also wrong about com hits. Time has shown just getting com hits is not a guaranteed stop. So stick with your bargain basement bullets. If the time comes and you need to use them i hope they work good for you. Until then the educated will continue to use effective bullets

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast