Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piece by piece

Feedback Score

Piece by piece

Ok so a little advice is needed and I am turning to the experts.
    I've been doing a lot of reading and realize that I am way over my head so I will try and make this easy.
    I will be taking it to the range, combat drills, and SHTF weapon. No competition or anything like that, just dependable.
    The real problem is I can't spend 1000+ dollars and start replacing parts, it seems like a waste.
    What I would like to do is buy a good lower, find some hardware I like and then put a good upper on it.
    Plus its easier to get the approval with the wife with spending smaller amounts especially with all the other toys.
    Thanks in advance guys.

Feedback Score
    I built my AR for about 550.

New Frontier lower- 100

PSA upper- 300

RRA BCG- 150

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    What parts do you think you'll be replacing? You want dependable, but have you built one before or have the tools? I'd say buy a complete, basic rifle from BCM, Colt or maybe Smith & Wesson. If buying it at once is an issue, buy a complete lower then an upper from the equipment exchange or a site sponser like GandRtactical.com
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post

New Frontier lower- 100

PSA upper- 300

RRA BCG- 150
    He said "dependable". Those companies don't have the best track record, and I wouldn't use a poly lower on a serious use rifle.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    What parts do you think you'll be replacing? You want dependable, but have you built one before or have the tools? I'd say buy a complete, basic rifle from BCM, Colt or maybe Smith & Wesson. If buying it at once is an issue, buy a complete lower then an upper from the equipment exchange or a site sponser like GandRtactical.com
    ^^^^This is your best bet. Either a complete gun from a reputable company or upper and lower from Grant @ GandRtactical.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    And this is just a terrible idea. Avoid like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post

New Frontier lower- 100

PSA upper- 300

RRA BCG- 150

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you are trying to stay below 1000 and get quality parts you are going to have a difficult time. I think you said you do not want to buy a complete rifle then end up replacing parts. Wait for the complete BCM rifles that do not include handguards and stocks to come back in stock on G&R. You can then select the stock and handguards you prefer. This way you will be right around a 1000 and have a reliable complete rifle.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Get a decent lower- Rainier Arms has stripped lowers for about 125.00. I picked up several of them and they are nice.

Or you can buy one that is complete with a Vltor stock for around 350.00 (IIRC).

Get a BCM 16" Carbine URG for 439.00 and, add a BCG, Gunfighter, handguards and a rear BUIS (they can be found all over Magpul, etc...) and you should be in around 1000.00.

You won't need to replace any parts as it will be a basic functional carbine that will be dependable out of the box.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlock1 View Post
    ......Plus its easier to get the approval with the wife with spending smaller amounts especially with all the other toys......
    I would say before anyone else gets to it.....
    Colt 6920 from Walmart,
    put it on layaway...

Colt6920 from Grant,
    Start new (-0- interest for 6 mo. Credit Card)
    pay off in under 6 mo.

Can't go wrong

Feedback Score
    I agree with buying complete. May take awhile and a lot of headache chasing parts right now. Around here parts are scarce and way inflated. But I understand the keeping the checking account deductions smaller!!
    Last edited by burlee1; 12-14-12 at 07:52. Reason: added to statement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast