Thread: New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

I've been through several threads in this section and I have a pretty good idea about what reloading involves and what equipment is needed. I want to reload 5.56. Nothing special, something similar to M193 or M855. I may get into other calibers down the road but right now my focus is being able to produce fair quantities of 5.56.

I'm looking at the basic Dillon 550. I know I want a progressive press and Dillon has a good reputation. I also like that the 550 is upgradable. The first thing I would add is the automatic priming system.

I have a few questions about the efficiency of this setup though. Obviously, all the brass I've collected needs tumbled, resized, and decapped. Since the 550 resizes and decaps on the first stroke (it also primes on the first stroke with the upgrade) I would have to take the brass out after the first station to gage it, swage the primer pocket if necessary, and trim the case if necessary. It seems that maximum efficiency with a progressive system can only be achieved if using new brass. I have thought about getting a cheap single stage press for the sole purpose of resizing/decapping. I'm curious how others separate the brass prep from the actual loading. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 11-26-12 at 16:55.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology