Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    It's happening out of the seating die, before crimping.
    Yeah.....you can actually crimp with the seating die. That's why most rifle die sets only comes with two dies....size/Decapper and seat/crimp. You gotta back off the crimping while you're seating the bullet. Look at the crimp you have on that case neck and compare it to a factory cartridge to see what I'm seeing.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Yeah.....you can actually crimp with the seating die. That's why most rifle die sets only comes with two dies....size/Decapper and seat/crimp. You gotta back off the crimping while you're seating the bullet. Look at the crimp you have on that case neck and compare it to a factory cartridge to see what I'm seeing.
    Maybe this would have helped: I'm loading on a Dillon 550B

The seating (S3) die doesn't contact the case mouth as far as I know

The crimp die (S4) is a taper crimp vs. roll crimp...which really doesn't matter since some of these are coming out like the photo shows only after coming out of S3.

By "some", I mean 3-4 out of 20...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-12-12 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Maybe a neck expander will help? Someone else should be along shortly with some better suggestions.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Maybe a neck expander will help? Someone else should be along shortly with some better suggestions.
    Some kind of "neck expander" was what I was thinking, but I don't know what I'd be looking for, or what's even out there. I'm already using the FL sizer in S1 with the expander ball supposedly taking the neck back out after sizing/trimming on the RT1200. Apparently FB bullets need a little more

I'm working up the load with these right now, then will be loading up quite a bit of these. I don't like the idea of screwing up 15% of my cases in the process...

Feedback Score
    Something is crushing your shoulder. IIRC I had the same problem but I can not remember if it was my seating die or crimp die.

Might be that your expander ball is touching too hard.

Go die by die and inspect the case after each step to find out exactly when the shoulder is getting crushed, then reset that die.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I been working loads up with AA2230 over the past few weeks and I'm currently up to 24.0 gr. I've loaded some at 24.5 gr and 25.0 gr to try out later this week. I'm also going to start loading some H335, H322 and TAC. 55 gr FMJ for every load. However its only going to be getting colder here. My last loads with 24.0 gr of AA2230 were shot in 40 degree weather. Later this week its supposed to be in the upper forties. Come warmer weather, should I expect pressure issues with the powders I'm using while developing loads in cooler weather? Ideally, for bulk ammo, I'd like to come up with something that can handle the seasonal temp swings, 10 to 90 degrees.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 11-26-12 at 16:54.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    I don't suppose you got any crono data to go with the temp swings did you?

What bullet are you running at 24+gr?
    Last edited by Sticks; 11-27-12 at 05:02.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    No chrono data, I want to pick one up in the near future. 55 grain FMJs for everything.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    I been working loads up with AA2230 over the past few weeks and I'm currently up to 24.0 gr. I've loaded some at 24.5 gr and 25.0 gr to try out later this week. I'm also going to start loading some H335, H322 and TAC. 55 gr FMJ for every load. However its only going to be getting colder here. My last loads with 24.0 gr of AA2230 were shot in 40 degree weather. Later this week its supposed to be in the upper forties. Come warmer weather, should I expect pressure issues with the powders I'm using while developing loads in cooler weather? Ideally, for bulk ammo, I'd like to come up with something that can handle the seasonal temp swings, 10 to 90 degrees.
    The H335 and TAC will have "some" pressure swings with the different temps, but the H322 is supposed to be very stable since it is one of Hodgdon's "extreme" powders. Not sure on the 2230. Do a search and see how "temp sensitive" it's supposed to be.

If you're loading more toward mid range data, then you should be good regardless of temp. If close to max, I'd rework the load when it gets hotter out.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Thanks. Now, my understanding is that temp sensitive powders will generate less pressure as it gets colder so if I worked a load close to max when its hot that load will still be safe when its cold, but not the other way around, correct?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast