Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Springfield Pro $1000 more gun than a TRP?

Feedback Score

Is a Springfield Pro $1000 more gun than a TRP?

I have a stainless TRP, and it's really nice. It chokes on JHP ammo once in a while, so it has a warranty trip to the shop coming up in the near future.

I was considering weeding out some stuff from my collection and financing a Pro, so my question is, am I going to see $1000 more value over my TRP?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I have a stainless TRP, and it's really nice. It chokes on JHP ammo once in a while, so it has a warranty trip to the shop coming up in the near future.

I was considering weeding out some stuff from my collection and financing a Pro, so my question is, am I going to see $1000 more value over my TRP?
    Other than not having MIM parts, no. If I were going to spend top dollars on a 1911, Wilson Combat would be getting my business.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post

Probably not. The Pro's are real nice and to some $1000 is small change, to others not so small. If I wanted a Pro, I would do it.. but not on the basis of it being a $1000 better pistol.

On the TRP.. It should not be failing on JHP. How many rounds has it seen? Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Probably not. The Pro's are real nice and to some $1000 is small change, to others not so small. If I wanted a Pro, I would do it.. but not on the basis of it being a $1000 better pistol.

On the TRP.. It should not be failing on JHP. How many rounds has it seen? Ron
    It's got north of 2k I estimate. However, it's always had the jhp issue. I've just been lazy about sending it back for repairs.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Singlestack Wonder;1386985]Other than not having MIM parts, no. If I were going to spend top dollars on a 1911, Wilson Combat would be getting my business.[/QUOTE]

Wilson would be my choice, too.

As it is, my TRP has been chugging away reliably with any ammo I use & with all my Wilson, Chip Mc, & SA mags. It's also far more accurate than me. While I could come up with the money for a Wilson, I doubt it would improve my scores, or my ability. The very small practical part of my brain tells me to save my money & try to wear out the TRP.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    if I were buying a semi-custom production 1911 in that price range, wilson would be getting my money as well, a close second is nighthawk.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yes, it is. Fitting takes time, time cost money. The Pro is a very solid 1911.

That said Wilson, Les Baer and Nighthawk also make excellent 1911's, so they are worth checking out before you jump into the deep end.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My TRP is my oldest 1911 and has never malf'd. Send it back. I drink Springer Koolaid. Yes, for what it is, the Pro is worth it to me. The only question, is it worth it to you.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

another opinion......

Not a smith or anything, but I did just finish a 1911 armorer's course last month - and I pumped the instructor for a lot of additional info.

The reason I would avoid the TRP is the bull barrel and lack of bushing. In his experience - they are quite accurate for x amount of rounds - then crap out quickly. Bushing based guns - not so.

Again - not MY personal experience - just that of someone with a lot of experience with 1911s. I'm sure some will disagree - others, not:)

So - I would go the Pro or Wilson route if I was looking. (As I mentioned in a different post a few weeks/months back - I bought a Dan Wesson Valor a few months back, and it has turned out to be everything I want in a 1911. OK - except for those damned hex head grip screws - an easy fix.)

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Yes, My FBI CRG is worth every penny. I have owned & shot SA TRP as well.

That does not tarnish any other brands, species etc.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast