Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Springfield Pro $1000 more gun than a TRP?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclestevie45 View Post
    I own both. Well, the PRO is a SA Custom shop build on a plain Jane SA Government model I bought second hand and sent to them. The TRP is factory.

I love the TRP and feel it is a great value. Mine is accurate and reliable and I carried it a lot. I would buy another.

I had the PRO built six years ago with my re enlistment bonus. It is a better built gun than the TRP. Much better. Tighter, more accurate, just as reliable. Having the two side by each, it's obvious that the PRO has is hand built. I would buy another of these also.

It is worth the extra money in my opinion.
    I am in the same boat here. Own both, would buy both again. I have an older TRP, kind of feel like it was made better than most. The slide to frame fit is perfect. Never failed me. I love it. I might buy a stainless.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I've never owned a SA Pro but I've got a TRP and I've built some pretty nice uber reliable 45's in the past. I looked at the Pro but decided on the TRP because I wanted a project. It's a really nice gun stock but there's enough to upgrade and fiddle with to keep me happy for a while.

Eventually I want a railed 1911 (never had one) so I'll go SACS for that.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    so my question is, am I going to see $1000 more value over my TRP?
    Yes...only custom out there that you can shoot the snot out of and sell it for more than you paid...

"Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    The Pro is a excellant gun. There is more hand fitting that goes into it than the TRP. Unfortunately some of the features of their lower priced guns such as MIM parts and the "Glued" in ejector has filtered into the Pro models. For the price it should have no MIM and the ejector should be pinned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I have a stainless TRP, and it's really nice. It chokes on JHP ammo once in a while, so it has a warranty trip to the shop coming up in the near future.

I was considering weeding out some stuff from my collection and financing a Pro, so my question is, am I going to see $1000 more value over my TRP?
    SA will fix/pay shipping. Call them - thy will send FedEx to your house to get the pistol. Let them fix it so JHPs run and then run the thing HARD. IMHO a TRP is more pistol than most people need.

Have it corrected to run all ammo and I think all thoughts of dropping another grand will exit your thoughts.

If not, TRPs sell fast, drop the extra coin and move to the Pro.

Me? I gulp the SA cool-aid.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I would say no, you will not notice the extra $1000. I used to own a SA loaded, and a freind let me shoot his wilson combat for a day. Could I feel a difference, yes. But a difference that cost more then double my gun, no.

Feedback Score
    Love my DW, and loved my Nighthawk, love the WC, but for me the Brown I have is just straight awesome ..... I do love a good 1911.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    I would say no, you will not notice the extra $1000. I used to own a SA loaded, and a freind let me shoot his wilson combat for a day. Could I feel a difference, yes. But a difference that cost more then double my gun, no.
    So, how would rate your shooting experience with the PRO ?

I own 3 Springfield pistols: 2 PRO's and a 1995 era NM. The PRO is worth the extra grand.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I've owned the standard and railed PRO's for about 8 years now. They are excellent in terms of reliability and accuracy. The only issue that I have is the checkered front strap - it was designed for gloves and is very aggressive at 20 LPI. Be prepared for some rough skin if you shoot more than 200-300 round with bare hands.
    This echos my experience. I earned Larry Vickers' ire by putting Pachmayr wraparound grips on my Springfield Pro.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love 20lpi, but it takes awhile to season your hands. now I grab my guns with 30lpi, and they do not feel aggressive enough.

I know it's not as sexy as a PRO, but If your trp is going back to Springfield, use the thousand bucks on sensible upgrades. I doubt you'll use it all, and you'll have a great gun.

It's MY personal opinion, after owning alot of custom 1911s, that for an off-the-shelf gun, the Wilson CQB is the gold standard. other than that, every other 1911 I have, has been worked over by a very good, reputable, smith
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-11-12 at 22:01.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast