Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 bolt gun out to a mile. (article)

Feedback Score

.223 bolt gun out to a mile. (article)

I thought you bolt gunners here would dig this. Especially orkan, and markm.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...223-mile-2.php
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 09-06-12 at 20:16. Reason: Forgot to add link...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is just crazy. EXTREMELY impressive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read that a while back. Having a round that transitions to subsonic well is the key.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I'm sure the journey and effort resulted in the author learning a lot. ... and he gets to have some bragging rights.

However, this is nothing new, and I learned nothing while reading those 3 pages.

http://www.northfloridashooting.com/...ogShooters.htm

The first time I read that... it was exciting. ... but I was at a stage in my shooting ability where it seemed unimaginable, so the "wow factor" was there. Now, knowing full well what most cartridges are capable of in real world conditions... this type of stuff is unexciting. I'm glad that people have fun doing it, because when the right people push the envelope... sometimes things are learned that has real world value which leads to strides forward in technology which makes its way to my hands.

I don't think that is what will happen in this instance though. Instead it's a story about a guy's journey to do something that he was wondering about. Unfortunately for him, that road has been taken by a lot of people before him, with virtually every cartridge under the sun. I have no doubt that he had fun, and I don't doubt that a lot of people will find it amazing.

It's just that I'm not one of them. I care about real world performance. Dealing with a 1mph wind shifting your POI by 3ft... is not my idea of performance that can be counted on to do anything other than lob bullets until one of them hits. The more you lob, the higher your chances of hitting something are. This is the mantra of artillery crews... not precision marksmen.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... it's cool and all. And I know it could be done with our .308s too. But I have no desire to try it.

I'm somewhat into working on skills that can translate into real world value. And shooting a .223 that far, although pretty cool, does not transfer into something I'd really want to do in a real setting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Eh well... I tried.

I didn't know that .223 could reach a mile consistantly.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    consistantly.
    There's the key word. It just happens to be a very subjective word that means different things to different people. For me, consistent means 75% hit ratio or better on a full size IPSC in virtually any condition.

It means something else to other people. Some would say consistent means the ability to hit a tractor trailer at 1 mile?
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    There's the key word. It just happens to be a very subjective word that means different things to different people. For me, consistent means 75% hit ratio or better on a full size IPSC in virtually any condition.

It means something else to other people. Some would say consistent means the ability to hit a tractor trailer at 1 mile?
    According to that guy didn't his accuracy match your definition of consistancy?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I was quite surprised when we pinged a 1,000 yards with .223 quite frankly. It is pretty cool, and this journey is for each individual to take. Only person you have to impress is yourself, because you have to learn or you suck. Wind eats my ass up at 1,000 yards with .223.

300WM is money in the bank at 1K. Orkan is going to send me his DTA and a couple barrels so I can THUD the steel at 1 mile with his .338 Lapua. Or, the Big O, needs to come to the desert when it is 200 below zero up north, and bring his armory We will treat you to some AZ Southern Hospitality.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I was quite surprised when we pinged a 1,000 yards with .223 quite frankly. It is pretty cool, and this journey is for each individual to take. Only person you have to impress is yourself, because you have to learn or you suck. Wind eats my ass up at 1,000 yards with .223.

300WM is money in the bank at 1K. Orkan is going to send me his DTA and a couple barrels so I can THUD the steel at 1 mile with his .338 Lapua. Or, the Big O, needs to come to the desert when it is 200 below zero up north, and bring his armory We will treat you to some AZ Southern Hospitality.
    For we members who can't hit the broad side of a barn at 100, how about details. What platform/scope/ammo were you shooting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast