Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Diz multicam rig...

Feedback Score

New Diz multicam rig...

Many of you are familiar with the "Alleycat" chest rig that Diz and I collaborated on a couple of years ago. Here is our latest collaboration. Not sure what name Diz will end up giving it, but I'm sure he'll think of something snazzy.

I wanted a rig that was capable of a decent loadout, but with minimal bulk, and comfortable to wear. This one has 6 integral mag pouches, X harness, and detachable hydro carrier. The mag pouches can be had with or without removeable kydex inserts or horizontal bungee cord around the pouch for mag retention, and with bungee cord top retention or removable flaps. I went with the bungee cords since that is what I run on my other rigs, and I like to keep things consistent from one rig to the next. This one also has kydex inserts. These are a newer material than the older inserts I have for my alleycat, and I REALLY like them.

Most rigs with integral mag pouches, use a simple pancake style to form the pouches. While this is functional, Diz and I both agree that his way of forming the mag pouches with the outside layer of material, allows a much closer and smother fit to the body, with no bunching up of the material underneath as it tries to bend around your body. It also doesnt add any unneccessary tension to the mags.

The X harness has PALS webbing on it, for the attachment of things such as hydro carrier, etc. Any standard MOLLE/PALS type attachments will fit. This one is one Diz made. It bellows outwards instead of inwards, adding to its consistent comfort. You'll also notice the bungee cord on the exterior. This keeps tension on the bladder, helping to keep it compressed as water is taken out.

Instead of a strap and buckle arrangement for the bottom rear of the carrier, this one utilizes a hollow panel, through which the sides of the rig meet up, and are mated together with a adjustable bungee cord system. This allows the rig to be fitted snugly to the body, yet flex for breathing, etc. It makes the rig VERY stable and prevents bouncing, etc. PALS webbing is also on the outside of this panel as well.

The front of the X harness straps, have a non slip panel added on the right side (since I am a righty), to prevent your weapon stock from slipping. On the left, are some elastic loops to route your hydro tube through, radio mike lines, etc...

You'll also notice two other pouches that I had Diz make up for me. On the right, is a smaller version of his BOK pouch. I wanted one just big enough to put a Israeli bandage, ACS sponge or other blood clotting agent, a couple of rolls of kerlix, and a couple of regular bandaids in. I also had him add a velcro panel to affix patches to such as a first aid indicator patch.

On the left side, is a pouch that I had him make to hold my Aimpoint magnifier. I run my carbine normally with just the Aimpoint, and wanted to have the magnifier available for quick attachment should a more precise shot need to be taken. This pouch perfectly fits the magnifier with its attached mount. in my case, its the upper half of a standard Aimpoint twist & lock mount, but other mounts such as a Larue should also work just fine. You'll notice a small length of bungee cord run through a channel sewn around the pouch as well. This adds just enough retention to the pouch to retain the magnifier should the flap become unintentionally opened, but not so much to impede easily withdrawing it when needed.

I am still playing with the positioning of the BOK and magnifier pouches, but they seem to be plenty accessible for me where they are. Also below is a pick of some Khaki ones that I had him do to go on my plate carrier.

I cant say enough about the quality of Diz's work. It rivals the best I have ever seen from any maker. To say its outstanding, is an understatement. One feature you'll also notice is the drain grommets on all the pouches. When water and such gets in, and it will get in, its always a good idea to give it an expedient way out. Stay tuned, as he and I have a couple of things brewing......
    Thoughts, questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

Front view:

Left Shoulder strap:

Rear view:

Bungee cord adjustment at the bottom of the rear panel:

Khaki BOK and Magnifier pouches:

Last edited by Hawkeye; 02-02-08 at 19:17.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NICE.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    That's everything you need, nothing you don't...

Very cool looking rig.
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I really dig the kydex inserts in the mag pouches. It's an idea whose time has come.

The rig looks low profile enough that your sling won't get all tangled up in everything...even if you are using a 3 point.

I think a similar rig for AKs would be great too.

Feedback Score
    Diz makes great stuff! BTW, where do your radio, flashlight, dump pouch (if used), and other misc gear go?

Feedback Score
    Doc,

For me, being non MIL, I only use a FRS/GMRS radio on occasion, and that clips easy enough onto the left shoulder strap. A dump pouch I'd run on a MOLLE belt, ditto a light, etc. I may move the BOK and magnifier pouch around a little onto the last mag pouch on each side. This would open up more slots for a larger radio pouch, etc.. if needed. Other pouches can be obviously added to the outside of the mag pouches if desired. The idea was to keep this one somewhat low bulk, but still have a moderate loadout.

I run a MOLLE belt myself, and thats where my pistol mags, spare Surefire, knife, and such are at.
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I thought you got some plates. Where do they go?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    I thought you got some plates. Where do they go?
    They go here.

Ya goof.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 02-02-08 at 22:07.
    Protego quod vallo.

Feedback Score

Talking

Wow! Very nice rig. I am looking forward to getting my Alleycat rig in and a copy of yours soon too

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Hawkeye,

Nice rig!!!

Diz is brewing me up (2) simular rigs, one for training, one for work (to go over an undergarment vest).

I had a very simular set up several years ago (2 piece MAV / X-Harness / Hydro Carrier) that I sold and have regreted on several occassions.

S/F,
    Jeff

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast