Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K98 caliber question

Feedback Score

K98 caliber question

I just recently aquired a K98 Mauser BCD 4, but am confused on the exact caliber....I didn't purchase this as I inherited it from my father-inlaw (also my best friend) whom lost his battle with brain cancer at a ripe age of 52.....Sold most of his collection to pay medical bills.

After a little google-foo, it can be either 7.92...or actual 8mm.

I looked over the rifle and didnt see any caliber type markings.

Would any of you have an idea, or point me to a good resource for K98'ers?

Most of what I've come across is gun auctions sites and other crap...but nothing really hardcore about k98's

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    It was manufactured in caliber 7.92X57

It may not be in that caliber now... many K98s were rechambered in 8mm '06 to make use of plentiful '06 brass.

It is probably still in 7.92X57... the only way to be positive is to do a chamber cast.
    Last edited by Deputy Dan; 09-13-12 at 13:48.

Feedback Score

k98k reference material

One of the best references you will find is “Backbone of the Wehrmacht The German K98K Rifle, 1934 -1945” by Richard Law and published by Collector Grade Publications. In it, he covers the k98k in depth: the inter war period, pre world war 2, the world war 2 years, productions totals, telescopes, accessories and more. The presentation of the materials and quality of the photographs is just outstanding! Anyone looking for any information on the k98k will be well served to start here as the material is throughly researched and documented.

Just my .02

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Caliber 7.92x57 aka 8mm Mauser.

If any further doubt, we're talking about the 8mm Mauser with the .323" bullet, not the earlier one.

Make sure you clean out the corrosive if the ammo you shoot is corrosive. Don't forget about this!

The only K-98s off the top of my head that I know that are 30/06 are the Norwegian rifles.

To remove any doubt, the importer probably stamped the caliber somewhere on the firearm. Look on the receiver or right in front of the bayonet lug.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 09-14-12 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    To clarify my earlier post...

There was a time when bulk 8mm Mauser/7.92x57 wasn't very common for the average shooter (especially in the pre-internet age). Some enterprising gunplumbers (this was popular post WW2) ran a 30-06 chamber ream into Kar 98s to produce 8mm-06 (the rifle had 30-06 chamber with .323 bore)so folks could use cheap 30-06 brass... they just bumped the neck of the case to .323 and use a .323 projectile and they were back in the shooting business.

In the post WW-1 era many Mausers were rechambered to 8x60 to comply with the disarmament provisions of the Versailles Treaty and the numerous other treaties between the belligerent parties... the changing of calibers for the Mauser 98 has been going on for a long time.

The most commonly encountered 7,92x57mm ammunition is the sS type(sS for Schweres Spitzgeschoss meaning heavy pointed bullet) with the 197.5 gr projectile.

If there is ANY question as to what caliber the rifle is chambered in, you will need to do a cerrosafe chamber casting.

P.S. If the rifle is a RC or other recent import, it is most likely still in 7.92mm. My previous statement stands as to proof positive.
    Last edited by Deputy Dan; 09-14-12 at 11:58. Reason: ETA

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Shows what I know ... I've got a G.33/40-based hunting carbine chambered in the same caliber, and the German Buchsenmachermeister that built it for me told me that 7.92x57 was the original/technically correct European designation for the cartridge, while 8mm Mauser JS (IS) is simply the commercial/SAAMI designation for the same round.

AC

Feedback Score
    Chief

8X57 IS is the Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (C.I.P.) designation of the cartridge, meaning Infanterie Spitzgeschoß or Infantry Pointed Bullet.

The majority of 7.92x57 on the market is 7.92×57mm Mauser s.S. Patrone with the 198 gr projectile... i would venture to guess that it accounts for 85% or more of the surplus 8x57.

Feedback Score
    thanks

I think I found the marking on the top, right before the reciever.

7.9 so I think I just might grab a box of 8mm mauser an see how she works but...i'm still having smith look it over first.
    Last edited by Breadstick; 09-14-12 at 23:01.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the K-98 and most later 98 Mausers in 8x57 shoot better with the European made ammo...not the US made "8mm Mauser" stuff.

Why?

Well, many US ammo makers were nervous about lawsuits if someone blew up an early 1888 Mauser, so they loaded the domestic 8mm Mauser with bullets that were .320 in diameter. They also backed the charge down and put a 170gr bullet in their offerings. This actually puts the US made 8mm Mauser loads in the 300 Savage/30-40 Krag power class...not in the 308/30-06 power class that the European 7.92 Mauser was originally.

This also means that your K98 will not be nearly as accurate or hit where the sights read. Basically, US made 8mm Mauser ammo is the wrong size bullet, underloaded.

Thats ok, because Sellier & Belliot and other Euro ammo makers still make quality 8x57 Mauser ammo with the proper .323 diameter bullet in 196 grain weight and with the proper charge.

I only run European made 196g ammo in my K-98, G33-40 and Czech VZ-24 and so should you. Unless you dig inaccuracy and lower power.

-brickboy240

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast