Thread: How long are 12ga loads good for?

Feedback Score

How long are 12ga loads good for?

i have a few cases of reloaded 12ga trap loads that are pretty old but they have been stored in the basement where its cool and dry. the boxes are at least 22 years old and i want to know if they would be any good to shoot or if they should be destroyed??

and if destroyed, what is a good way to do it??

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I have shot Pistol/Rifle ammo that is over 50yrs old. Like you say,,if it has been kept in a Cool Dry Place,,it should be fine !! Look it over for corrosion or anything else bad,,but I say its good !!! Final decision is up to you though ! Do a Google search also on Ammo/Storage/Shelf Life,,etc,,,,I'm sure you will find the same results !

Feedback Score
    I don't know how they'd go bad...

If it were steel shot, then I'd worry about the BBs rusting into one clump, but regular shells stored in a dry place ought to be good indefinitely.

Feedback Score
    I've shot some shells well over 25 years old. Like the others said, as long as they were kept in an appropriate environment, they'll be fine.

Feedback Score
    thanks guys for the info, i appreciate it.
    i will have to take a box out to the trap club and see if i can find someone
    with an old inexpensive shotgun i could borrow to see how they shoot.

and if they do shoot good, what would be a good price to see about
    selling them for? or should i even try selling older reloads to someone
    and not worry about liability if something happened???
    Last edited by Northerner; 09-15-12 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    I've shot shells my granddad reloaded in the early seventies recently and worked perfect. I in turn have reloaded them a few times since.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why would they not work? What possible explanation is there for viewing ammunition like a perishable food item? Personally, I only would use my own reloads or those from someone who is legally liable for their product and has a good reputation. You should never sell reloaded ammunition unless you have a type 06 FFL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Why would they not work? What possible explanation is there for viewing ammunition like a perishable food item?
    Gunpowder is an organic material, and it does degrade over time... plastic shotshells don't seem as well "sealed" as metalic cartridges, so I might worry about relying on shotshells after several decades.

On the other hand, if they're just target loads, I wouldn't hesitate to use them to break clay pigeons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    thanks guys for the info, i appreciate it.
    i will have to take a box out to the trap club and see if i can find someone
    with an old inexpensive shotgun i could borrow to see how they shoot.

The loads should be gtg, but putting someone's equipment at risk with an unknown load is a very dickish / irresponsible thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    and if they do shoot good, what would be a good price to see about
    selling them for? or should i even try selling older reloads to someone
    and not worry about liability if something happened???

You're asking for a world of hurt trying to sell an unknown, heck even a known load, without the proper licensing from the ATF. That's just the legal aspect of it, never-mind the potential civil suit from a potential injury caused by one of them.
    Last edited by Stangman; 09-17-12 at 00:03.