Page 24 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, Roger at Midwest Distributors has some rails. Not B&T but..

"Factory Sig Sauer top receiver rail for the the Swiss Sig 550, 551, and 552 guns. These are used but are in very good condition". $79.00
    Last edited by sigswiss; 04-20-14 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So I've noticed there have been different batches available from various importers. Are the pistols all the same with the exceptions being sights, rail, and flash hider? Basically I'm looking for the latest guidance or recommendations for someone late to the game as to what to look for and a reasonable current price. Also have the been functioning reliably like a Swiss watch ?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTheNSA View Post
    So I've noticed there have been different batches available from various importers. Are the pistols all the same with the exceptions being sights, rail, and flash hider? Basically I'm looking for the latest guidance or recommendations for someone late to the game as to what to look for and a reasonable current price. Also have the been functioning reliably like a Swiss watch ?
    Just for full disclosure, I have one posted in the EE for sale. Anyhow, the differences I've seen so far is that Sig USA imported the older style railed variant with the rear sight that folds forward into the rail making it very hard to deploy if you need the BUIS. Some don't care about that but I prefer the newer style with the sight folding back towards the shooter and overhanging the rail somewhat. They also imported some of the diopter models and those are pretty much the same mechanically. Sig USA also added a strange flash hider that doesn't match the originals or any current production Swiss 550 series hiders. They also decided to add extra import markings on the rear ejection port side of the receiver on all their imports and some sellers have tried to conceal those markings in their ads; I'm assuming this is due to the extra markings detracting from the aesthetics. Again, some don't care about that and some do.
    Pricing has been hovering around the 3k range and hasn't dropped much below that but no one is sure if any more units will be brought into the country. That may cause prices to rise sooner or later but it's anyone's guess as to when.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Feedback Score
    Noticed these have multiple brass marks on the receiver, does Swiss Arms test fire them before they leave the factory? Anyone else that purchased one these, did yours come with brass marks? Has a bank vault feel but the finish is lacking, has blems and scratches over a few areas of the receiver. Maybe with the downsizing of Swiss Arms, the QC has gone down? I heard that there are less than 20 people working there currently and that they are on the verge of going out of business.
    Last edited by kunc; 07-16-14 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    Well after cleaning & inspecting the area, the brass marks are deep enough that they have chipped paint off the receiver. Kind of disappointing to have a $3000 pistol/rifle come this way from the factory.
    photo 2.jpg
    Last edited by kunc; 07-16-14 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kunc View Post
    Well after cleaning & inspecting the area, the brass marks are deep enough that they have chipped paint off the receiver. Kind of disappointing to have a $3000 pistol/rifle come this way from the factory.
    To balance this comment, I am going to launch mine over a balcony to the cement below. And then fire it tomorrow.

YinYangBody-YinYangSymbol.jpg

Feedback Score
    fantastic idea

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    fantastic idea
    In all seriousness, my 553P also came with brass marks from test firing. I'm not terribly bothered by them as I will be adding plenty more. The finish seemed fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is completely normal and self limiting. It is a fact of life on the 55x series. Don't sweat it, just shoot your 553. As for the finish, it is not quite as nice as my earlier production 551s and 552, but nothing really concerning.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-16-14 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    This is completely normal and self limiting. It is a fact of life on the 55x series. Don't sweat it, just shoot your 553. As for the finish, it is not quite as nice as my earlier production 551s and 552, but nothing really concerning.
    I would agree with Josh. They might not look quite as good as the old school gray ilaflon but they will stand up to hard use. The early 553s with unthreaded barrels were not test fired so those don't have ejection marks unless someone shot them after purchase. Most folks, like myself, who love and shoot these guns usually put Velcro strips (the soft side and not the bristles) on that area to protect the finish. Others just don't care. I would apply them to that area if you wish to protect it. I have both early and late imports but all have the strip applied.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Page 24 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast