Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who can reload 300 blackout?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

who can reload 300 blackout?

I am on the fence about jumping and buying a 300 blackout upper, but the price of ammo is stopping me. I'm seeing about 15-35 bucks for 20 rounds!
    In comparison, If I could find somebody to reload/load 300 blackout for me, how much would you charge to do that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would do it for around $35 per 20 rounds.

Seriously it's my favorite hobby but it just takes too much time and effort to do it for someone else. This is what it takes for me to load one round of 300 Blackout:

Bullet-25 cents
    Once fired 5.56 case- 8 cents
    Primer- 3 cents
    Powder- 5 cents
    Case lube- 2 Cents

Total - 43 cents per round

Tumble case for 2 hours
    Chop 5.56 case below shoulder
    Chamfer/Debur
    Tumble again to remove brass shavings
    Apply case lube
    Set up resizing die
    Resize/deprime
    Remove primer crimp
    Trim case
    Debur flash hole
    Final chamfer/Debur
    Clean primer pocket
    Tumble case for two hours.
    Inspect case
    Prime case
    Set up seating die
    Set up powder measure
    Charge case with powder
    Visually inspect cases twice for proper amount of powder
    Seat bullet and run through seating die.

In addition there is costs for equipment, presses, dies, scales, tumblers, tumbling media, calipers, powder measure, manuals etc etc

I would never shoot someone elses reloads. There is just too much that could go wrong.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Where do you live. It'd be more practical for you to find a person in your area who is into this round.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you buy converted brass from someone like Brad's Warehouse or the guys at castboolits, loading it is no different than any other bottleneck rifle round.

However most will not want to reload. Least expensive option I'm aware of is Southwest Ammunition and their 147 gr FMJ supersonic loading:
    http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/87.htm

Still, it's going to run at least $0.50 per round for any factory stuff. As nightvisionary pointed out, just the component costs are high. Figure out if you really want the caliber. IMO, its uses are pretty limited.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why not just load your own? By using pre prepped brass you wouldn't need an expensive set up.
    Last edited by wahoo95; 09-17-12 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do not shoot other peoples reloads not even companies who reload ammunition ( black hills blue box being the one exception).

Buying reloads is a false economy. So you pay half of what factory loads cost. Next thing your at the range, you pull the trigger and kb happens. Hopefully while shooting unknown reloads you saved enough for a new rifle.

You can buy a kit for pretty cheap that you Will have to add very little to. You can also look around your local area for anyone that has the equipment that might let you load at there place to see id you like it before you buy anything. There is a guy locally where i live and he teaches reloading in his garage. On Wednesday he lets anybody some over and use his equipment free of charge. You bring your components and load. I met the guy at a gun shop and he invited to come over to use his company after we shot the shot for 15 minutes.

Check the gun shops see if they know anybody that could help you get started.
    Last edited by jstone; 09-17-12 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Do not shoot other peoples reloads not even companies who reload ammunition ( black hills blue box being the one exception).

Buying reloads is a false economy. So you pay half of what factory loads cost. Next thing your at the range, you pull the trigger and kb happens. Hopefully while shooting unknown reloads you saved enough for a new rifle.
    The right hand loads will be better than most of the garbage on the shelf. I wouldn't shoot UNKNOWN reman ammo.

Loading ammo one's self doesn't magically make it better than "other peoples". It's all about who is doing the loading.

And any guy with better than average intelligence can handload ammo WAY BETTER than anything Black Hills pukes into a box... new or Reman.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The right hand loads will be better than most of the garbage on the shelf. I wouldn't shoot UNKNOWN reman ammo.

Loading ammo one's self doesn't magically make it better than "other peoples". It's all about who is doing the loading.

And any guy with better than average intelligence can handload ammo WAY BETTER than anything Black Hills pukes into a box... new or Reman.

I only know of a couple peoples loads i would use. Maybe i shouldn't have said never, but looking for someone online would not be the way i would go about looking for reloads.

Last week i had a buddy ask if i could load some .308 for him. I asked if he had a known load for me or if i needed to do a work up. He said i already have the load so it should be quick. I forgot to say he is in the middle of divorce and equipment is boxed. I went by to pick up the what he had. I asked him if he had the load info wrote down, and he told me to just use the load on the pound of Varget. Which was a max load. I believe 46.0 grains with a 168 hpbt. I asked if he had ever used this load. He said no but it should be fine. Im not going to go over the whole conversation, but before this i would have shot his reloads. Now i won't. He said he just gets loads online or loads max always.

You just never know what your going to get from one loader to another, and think if you do not reload yourself you should probably stick to factory. If you know someone and you trust them to load ammo for you go ahead. I do agree that anybody who has an above average level intelligence can load ammo far better than what's on the shelf. I also do not think that just because i load it that my loads are better than what you load. I do see some stuff that people post that makes it pretty clear that there are two groups of people. Those with the above average level intelligence who no doubt load some stellar ammunition. Then there is group 2 who seem to be of a just barely functioning intelligence who slap together components with little regard for safety or precision. Have not ran into any of the people who fall into category 2 on this forum, yet.

The only reason i said black hills ammo is that i have never seen a report of a catastrophic failure with blue box. I will not pay the outrageous amount of money they think there product is worth. The only purchase i made from black hills was some mk262 mod1 i purchased to run over the chrony, and check for accuracy. I was going to try and duplicate it the best i could. It was a huge disappointment. My load is not as fast but it is more accurate.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I only know of a couple peoples loads i would use. Maybe i shouldn't have said never, but looking for someone online would not be the way i would go about looking for reloads.
    I hear you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm nt exactly looking for somebody to make reloads for me, I am just trying to fiure out what somebody would charge to do it.

I still havent decided if I want to purchase the barrel and put a thousand or so rounds through it to see how I really like the 30aac.

and I really do not want to get into reloading. I ship for boot in 5 days, so.. plus, I will be living on base (far away from home) so i am pretty sure I will not be allowed to load that on base

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast