Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of AA 5.45 upper with surplus?

Feedback Score
    That's good to know about not having corrosion in your lower. Are you hitting it with anything to clean it though? I guess you'd have seen something after 23k for damn sure.

How long it can go without thorough cleaning was another concern. I mean other than a quick Hoppes 9 or WD-40 at the range. In the neighborhood I live in, I'm not advertising ownership so the rifle goes in the trunk at night and comes out the next night.

I value your opinion and experience with this caliber (after wading through so much rumor and crap elsewhere) so thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I wouldn't completely rule out going to S&W except I just went to their website. The only calibers I see in M&P rifles now are 5.56, .22LR, and .300 AAC/Whisper. Have they dropped 5.45? I hope not, but if they did I wonder if it was due to magazine issues?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Every 1k rounds or so, after my post-range water rinse, I hose out the entire rifle with non chlorinated brake cleaner. I usually punch the bore after long range sessions, but only 4 patches (2 of carbon solvent, 2 of copper solvent) simply because I want to make sure the corrosive salts have been removed. I don't always punch the bore; depends on how much time I have.

The LPK started doubling around 15k rds or so. S&W replaced it on their dime, paid shipping both ways. When I got it back, it wasn't resetting well so I swapped parts with spares until it reset to my satisfaction. I replaced the hammer with a FailZero hammer I bought off of the EE here because it was available, cheap, and why not? I have never observed corrosion in the lower. The bolt is pitted slightly due to me not rinsing it after 2-5 days of shooting. I'm not worried about it and have a spare bolt and BCG. I haven't found any pitting on the BCG.

There's a few S&W uppers NIB floating around but I think you might be right in thinking that S&W has ceased production.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    There's a few S&W uppers NIB floating around but I think you might be right in thinking that S&W has ceased production.
    In which case, the AA upper starts to make a lot more sense, yes?
    "Professionalism": A heightened awareness of forces functioning internally and externally of yourself, with a special emphasis on "The Golden Rule"

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Coyotes are tough.
    For sure...

I got a coyote pup the other day, and hit him multiple times with a .223 - granted, I was shooting 55gr FMJs, but it took quite a bit before he went down.

Shot another one with my Glock, at 70+ yards a couple weeks ago, but never did find it (and yes, I do have a witness for that one.... )

Honestly, I'm probably going to switch over to a .243 for coyotes, and really don't think I'd suggest a 5.45....
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 09-21-12 at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrenchArtisan View Post
    In which case, the AA upper starts to make a lot more sense, yes?
    Not as long as you can find a Smith upper since the warranty is so good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    There's some on Gunbroker right now. Stupid thing is, you could possibly get the whole rifle for 860 plus shipping and FFL. Same people selling just the upper will cost you 725 shipped. There's an upper on GA for 660 shipped. Looks like this is going to turn into a supply and demand.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Op anyone claiming sub moa with any 545 upper is full of shit. Just like the guys saying that they can get m193 to group sub moa. I have seen people say silver bear, wolf, and m855 groups sub moa for them. It has been different people for each. When you hear something that is to good to be true you know it is.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    There's some on Gunbroker right now. Stupid thing is, you could possibly get the whole rifle for 860 plus shipping and FFL. Same people selling just the upper will cost you 725 shipped. There's an upper on GA for 660 shipped. Looks like this is going to turn into a supply and demand.
    I think the complete rifle is the way to go, particularly with the Barackolypse 2.0 coming.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Op anyone claiming sub moa with any 545 upper is full of shit. Just like the guys saying that they can get m193 to group sub moa. I have seen people say silver bear, wolf, and m855 groups sub moa for them. It has been different people for each. When you hear something that is to good to be true you know it is.
    Yeah, I'd have to see the groups and it would have to be from a reputable person. I have shot some no shit 2MOA groups with 7N1 but not 10 shot groups.

Feedback Score
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but PSA has HF 5.45 uppers now. No BCGs. I am looking forward to the 5.45 article.
    Last edited by CRab; 09-22-12 at 09:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast