Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Pre-SHTF Home Security/CCTV/Hardening

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, a lot of the decisions you need to make about security depend on where you live and what your goals are.

What type of neighborhood? Close neighbors? General crime in the area? Close to freeway?

What do you fear? Burglary? Home invasion? Simple exterior theft or vandalism?

This is a good topic, everyone should think about it.

My house is pretty secure for the neighborhood I live in. All the homes are high end, they are pretty close, the neighbors are busy bodies, the Police station is 1/3 of a mile. But we off a main street, near a freeway, my door locks suck.

However, I do have a very good connected industrial grade alarm system with an inside and outside bell, door and window sensors, and several motion detectors. We have two dogs, we keep our door locked at all times, I have an outdoor motion doorbell that goes off inside when ever someone steps onto the porch. Everyone in the family shoots and we keep several hidden guns in strategic locations. When we go on vacation we have a house sitter. During the day someone is almost always home because we work from home.

At night we set the alarm, and the dogs are vigilant.

It would be different if we lived out in the country, or a bad neighborhood. I would add video, and a second alarm system, more hidden space. Panic alarm fobs connected to the alarm system.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchALot View Post
    It might be worth considering Door Jamb Armor from Armor Concepts as well; I chose it over the Door Devil because it adds additional reinforcement to the hinge by adding another set of plates to go over the hinge plate.
    Thanks a lot for the info. I just ordered a pair of the Door Devil sets from Amazon (used some rewards points to save a little!), but I will probably order some of the Door Jamb Armor reinforcement plates for the locks and hinges. The lock plates especially look a lot better than the Door Devil version, which will probably make my wife happier. I'll have to read up on that brand.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678