Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-SHTF Home Security/CCTV/Hardening

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. View Post
    I thought about this during my previous post without reading as far along as your post. Thats one reason why I have never posted pics of my weapons setups on line.

The incident that happened at my home was probably a quick ordeal, in my summation less than 5-10 minutes.

I am concerned if this group of individuals might come back b/c there were other "items" that if taken would be a devastating loss.

Thank God for my ____. The glock was the only gun taken b/c it was not in my main ___ _____.

I actually may take this post down in the next couple of days b/c that is how paranoid I am right now.

Thoughts anyone?
    I don't think it paranoid. I know I need to pay better attention to opsec. Good lessons learned here everyday.
    Last edited by cinco; 09-24-12 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed30 View Post
    Is this the best option out of the door jamb reinforcement brands/products? Or do they all accomplish the same things?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Is this the best option out of the door jamb reinforcement brands/products? Or do they all accomplish the same things?
    Thanks for the link. This is probably the route I am going to take.
    I have been looking at the door sentinel. http://www.mysafedoor.com/
    They look very similar.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Looks to me like they all accomplish the same thing. The other manufacturers just include hinge guards. The Door Devil is solely the jamb reinforcement. I see no need to do the hinges, personally.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Looks to me like they all accomplish the same thing. The other manufacturers just include hinge guards. The Door Devil is solely the jamb reinforcement. I see no need to do the hinges, personally.
    Youre saying hinges aren't necessary because the screws are longer and there's 3 points of contact with the frame, correct? I haven't really studied my front door much as you can see

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Correct. The thing that I've noticed regarding the hinges are that there are 3 attachment points (as opposed to one for the deadbolt). But the more important factor is to look at the very small amount of material that is holding the deadbolt in it's place.

In order to kick the hinges off the door, you'd have to put quite a bit of force in order to overcome them, since the load is spread over 3 points.

Again, just my .02...
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are these products "drop-in fit" or do they require you to remove material from your jamb?

Zip-tie your garage door safety latch
    Can you explain that a little better? Are you trying to protect it from shifting to the manual position on it's own?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Dave, from what I've gathered on the door-devil (mine's on its way) is that you simply remove the old deadbolt metal piece and then anchor the door devil in. It has 9 mounting screws to distribute the load throughout the door frame.

With the garage door, go out and look at your emergency release handle. When the door is closed, that release is right by an exterior seal. By it's locale and thieves experience, it can be actuated through that seal with a mere coat hanger in about 10 seconds. By zip-tying the release, you prevent that from being able to happen while still retaining the ability to utilize the release in an emergency. OR you can just wire it shut.

If you need a pic of the garage door, LMK and I'll snap one to show you what I'm talking about.
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you need a pic of the garage door, LMK and I'll snap one to show you what I'm talking about.
    Thanks man. I'll look into it after they install the garage door openers.
    + I'm about 8,000 miles from home right now
    Last edited by Dave L.; 09-25-12 at 02:22.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Correct. The thing that I've noticed regarding the hinges are that there are 3 attachment points (as opposed to one for the deadbolt). But the more important factor is to look at the very small amount of material that is holding the deadbolt in it's place.

In order to kick the hinges off the door, you'd have to put quite a bit of force in order to overcome them, since the load is spread over 3 points.

Again, just my .02...
    I think you're on the right track.

As an out-there aside, I wonder if it's possible to buy Hescos for put-away purposes in less than conex-sized lots?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast