Thread: AAR Redback One Tac Carbine Sept 15-16, Beaver Falls, PA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AAR Redback One Tac Carbine Sept 15-16, Beaver Falls, PA

Class: 2Day Tac Carbine
    Instructor: Redback One

We all know who runs this show, Jason needs no introduction. Solid dude with a deep knowledge base. Jason, as well as Muzz, do an excellent job at conveying the "why" to their the method they are teaching. Their methodology is based on not what might be the fastest way, but the way that is going to work 99% of the time, under stress, and in an effective manner.

This was my first training course outside of the Marine Corps, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Day 1 started off with your safety briefs, training objectives, methodology overview, and finally moving onto zeroing/confirming. With that complete, training commenced where Jason proceded to start hitting the objectives. Topics covered where weapon control, transition, speed "cadence," and finally speed to target relations. Moving into the evening, low light shooting topics were covered. Day 2 started with individual runs of the Redback One shooting standards. The rest of the day was spent covering support side shooting, using and working around barricades, and shooting on the move. During Lunch both days, medical lessons were conducted.

Closing thoughts.
    - This was a good course and with a lot of practical thought put behind the information presented. I definitely would train with them again.
    - A lot of participants agreed that the method Jason teaches for change over from secondary to primary is how it should be done
    - The course forced me to look at some of the techniques I used (ex: sending the bolt home using the charging handle instead of the bolt release.) and consistently does it work and/or done efficiently.
    - Muzz is a big dude, I'm 6'2" and he made me feel small
    - Course moved at a slightly slower pace than I expected, then again, this my first civilian course so I don't know what the normal pace for a course is.

I'm not the best at writing these, but if your considering going to a Redback One course and your looking to having your weapons handling and knowledge "cold, hard, and on demand", Jason is who you want to train with.

Feedback Score

Pics from RB1 2-Day Tac Carbine + Low Light

Thanks to Tom Kelley for taking these awesome shots!

Thanks to everyone that came out, Jason and Muz enjoyed meeting each of you. We hope you got a lot out of the training and hope to see you again in the future. Keep training and stay fresh on what you learned.

RB1 instructor cadre: Jason Falla and Muz

You can view more photos on our FB page.

Thanks to Todd and the lads at Kill Cliff for supplying refreshments during the course.

We get asked about Jason's uniform and kit all the time, it's no other than Crye Precision.

Demonstrating Strong Side Barricade Supported. Good for a single target but foolish on a dynamic battlefield.

Care Under Fire, Self Aid-Buddy Aid, Rapid Trauma Assessments, Mechanism Of Injury, etc all part of RB1's Tactical Medical Training.

Demonstrating correct technique when shooting from strong side cover.

Alternate shooting positions like the roll-over prone may be applicable from time to time.

Feedback Score

AAR: Redback One Tactical Carbine Sept 15-16 Beaver Falls, PA

I have never written an AAR, so hopefully this isn't too bad. Just a few things to keep in mind. This was my first "real" carbine class. Though I have had other pistol classes before, I have never actually been in a carbine class. I am a civilian with no .mil or LEO training.

If you don't already know about Jason Falla and the instructors at Redback One, a little research will lead you to find that they are highly qualified instructors and are one of the most sought after instructors in this community. "Top notch" is the phrase I kept hearing when asking about them.

On day one we started off with a safety brief and a review of the topics we would cover. Everything was well explained for safety, and we even had a detailed plan set up of "who would do what" in case an injury were to occur. Then we started with confirming zero. Jason helped me out a bit with this, since I have neglected to know the adjustments on my optic until now. With this class you will want your weapon zeroed the best it can be. After this we got into the fun stuff. Proper stance was covered as well as other things I can't remember from the top of my head. Recoil management was discussed, with RB1 using their preferred method of gripping the carbine as far up the barrel as comfortably possible. Shot cadence was discussed and we practiced using different cadences to see how our accuracy changes from shooting as slow as 6 shots in 6 seconds, all the way to shooting as fast as you can. We also went over high vs low probability targets, where there would be a very small target and a larger target to simulate longer ranges and how much time you would need to aquire the target before firing. Carbine to handgun transitions were discuss, with the RB1 method of transitioning back to carbine being discussed. It is a very different technique that keeps you protected while inspecting your carbine. Malfunctions were also discussed in detail.

After dinner we began our night session. How to properly use lights was discussed in detail for both weapons mounted and handheld lights. We practiced many of the things we did in the daytime. We ended at around 11pm.

On day two we did a lot of drills under the shot timer. These were RB1 standards, a specific time to strive for completed a certain task in. Just a few examples of these were transition drills, reloading, and moving into different positions (kneeling, prone, etc). We went over transition from strong side to support side, as well as shooting from these positions. Shooting around barricades was demonstrated in many different positions, with students eventually practicing shooting from cover at steel targets. The day ended after a session of practicing shooting while on the move.

I will also add that medical lessons were given during both lunch breaks and dinner break. These were things everyone should know, such as bleeding control, airway management, and treating chest wounds.

- There was a lot to learn and unlearn in this class. I could not begin to type everything I learned, because some of them were such small things that I had to correct yet made a big difference.
    - I learned that when you think you know something, you might be wrong. A lot of the things I thought I knew ended up being sloppy or wrong, with me screwing up quite a bit.
    - The screwing up is not bad. I learned from my mistakes and know what I have to practice, and that would not have happened without this class.
    -Even though a lot of us made mistakes, everything was done in a safe way. None of these mistakes were safety issues, just weapons handling ones.
    - The class seemed to move at a somewhat slow pace, but when I look back on it there was a lot of information to be covered. Things were given enough time to practice, but we did not go over the same drill over and over again. When it was time to move on, we moved on.
    - This class exposed a lot of gear issues for me, and I knew right away when something was bad in my gear.
    - The actual instruction was very good. All of the techniques were things I was glad to learn and have in my toolbox. I couldn't begin to talk about this because there was so much. All of it was conveyed very well and they made sense in practical use.
    - Australians use some interesting words that I have never heard of.
    - Muzz is a giant.
    - Great instructors and great class. I will be back to train with RB1 some day.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Full size pics can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkell...7631592224765/

Facebook decided to kill quality a bit.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Full size pics can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkell...7631592224765/

Facebook decided to kill quality a bit.
    Looks good Tom. Thanks again!