Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiral fluted barrels

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Spiral fluted barrels

Where can I get a spiral fluted 20" barrel like the LWRC barrels? [searched forum and found nothing].
    Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    LWRC is not popular here.

The better question would be why do you think you need a sprial fluted barrel?

Here's a link to some of the best 20" barrels out there: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/20-Rifle-Barrel-s/37.htm
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 09-23-12 at 10:09.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You may have to locate someone familiar with the process and have them flute the barrel you provide.

I think they are an interesting twist on fluting, pun always intended.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    blackhole weaponery has one like that i'm pretty sure

but yea check out www.twistedbarrel.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the links Mist.

I'm thinking of starting a 20" build and I'd like a fluted barrel for weight and I also like the look.

Also, what's the issue with LWRC?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There garbage. The company history is far from ideal. To buy lwrc is the worse decision you can make. You can buy 2 colt's for the price of one lwrc.
    Last edited by jstone; 09-23-12 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just like their spiral fluted barrels. Their rifles aren't cheap; I assumed they were good. Any statistics/ examples to back this up? I have a BCM upper & spikes lower and a coworker sneered at this and told me about his piston LWRC present to himself after getting out of the army.

Feedback Score
    B&M Gunworks http://www.bmgunworks.com out of Madera Ca makes all kinds of spiral fluted barrels. They have been making barrels for several other companies that are sold under those companies’ names. I just picked up a custom barrel from them and I am very happy with the end product. To see some of their work check out the barrels used by Houlding Precision Firearms web page. https://houldingprecisionfirearms.co...om_Rifles.html Both companied are have lots of pictures on their facebook pages.

I recommend B&M based on my personal experience with this company.
    LE Firearms Instuctor - Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun and Automatic Weapons.
    LE Factory Armorer: Colt, Beretta, Glock, Remington, Ruger, SIG, S&W, Springfield Armory.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty783 View Post
    I just like their spiral fluted barrels. Their rifles aren't cheap; I assumed they were good. Any statistics/ examples to back this up? I have a BCM upper & spikes lower and a coworker sneered at this and told me about his piston LWRC present to himself after getting out of the army.
    When i started doing research into the AR family i bought into the piston superiority. I could not afford the piston at the time so i got an lmt. For a second AR I was going to get a pof, but i could not find one locally. Then a shop in town started carrying lwrc. Without doing any in depth research all i read was from the fan boys that claimed they were the best you can get. Not being an educated consumer i bought into the superiority of the lwrc piston system.

So i got my new 2000+ dollar rifle home cleaned, and lubed it went outside to put some rounds through it. Just checking function. Fired about 25-30 rounds i was having all kinds of problems. It would fail to eject. Once cleared it would not go fully into battery. I would also have the fired case still in the chamber as it tried to feed the next round. I could not get through a magazine, and in California that is only ten rounds. So i quit. i had some buddies coming over in a couple days to shoot. They both were far more experienced than i was at the time.

Its finally the weekend, and my buddies show up. I told them about the problems. The first thing they did was look over the manual ( they were unsure how the piston system worked) to make sure the piston assembly was put back together correctly. Everything was fine. They said it could use more lube. I told them about the coating on the bolt, they both said it was worthless. They told me run it wet.

After they re assembled it we went out to shoot. They used there magazines That were known to be good. The same problems kept happening ftf/fte and the problem where it would try to feed a new round while the fired case was still partially in the chamber.

We tried to see how it would group between malfunctions. At this point i was so frustrated i let my buddy that was a better shot take over to shoot the groups. At 50 yards groups were 4-5 inches at best. I asked my other buddy that is not as good of a shot to try. He got the same results maybe a little worse.

At this point i was beyond pissed. Monday morning I called lwrc and the shop i bought it at. Lwrc told me i needed to ship it to them so they could see what was going on. I told the buy on the phone that i could not trust the weapon and that i was going to return it to the shop where i purchased it. I returned it and got a second lmt.

I understand that this is a sample of one, but that experience made me want to learn everything i could about the platform. With more research i found more people with problems, and that there company history is far from good. I know there are some high end trainers that have more experience with the platform then i could ever dream of that say they are GTG. one that comes to mind is Mr. Vickers, but it is not his first recommendation for a piston system. My earlier comment about the lwrc fanboys was not aimed at Mr. Vickers or any of the professional trainers who objectively recommend lwrc. It was meant for the fanboys who think if its not lwrc it trash. Those are the dick riding fags i was speaking of.
    Last edited by jstone; 09-24-12 at 01:19. Reason: foul language that had no place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast