Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK buttstock reccomendations?

Feedback Score

AK buttstock reccomendations?

Well, after doing quite a bit of extended sessions with my AK-47, I have come to the conclusion that the original AK buttstock, with it's thin and small area and ribbed metal buttplate is really beating the daylights out of my shoulder.

Normally, this does not bother me but doing some longer shooting sessions....yes..this nasty little buttstock leaves really nasty bruises on my shoulder. Bruises I don't get from my 3 SKSs or the Mini-14.

I have been looking at possibly putting a Magpul telescoping buttstock on the AK or maybe some other buttstock that has a larger butt area and maybe a soft recoil pad.

Anyone have any suggestions or ones that you know for sure will east the recoil?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

-brickboy240

PS: My AK is a custom built standard AKM pattern rifle that was built on an Elk River receiver using a Bulgarian parts kit. It is a stamped receiver rifle as well. I had this rifle built for me by Global Trades in Houston many years ago.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'll tell you what I WOULDN'T reccomend. I got one of the ACE Galil looking stocks, and I regret it. It sits just a tiny bit higher than the standard stock, so I feel like I have to mash my face into it to get a good sight picture. This rattles the hell out of your cheekbone when shooting. Also it's held in place by a couple of screws that I highly doubt could take the abuse of a buttstroke. One of the screws stripped, and I didn't even crank it down hard. I've already cut the damn tang so I'm out of luck for other options

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a VLTOR adapter and Magpul CTR on one of mine and I really like it; I don't run a raised optic (like an ACOG) but if you do the risers work really well.

Feedback Score
    I am currently not running any optics and only have traditional AKM irons. Although I have thought about the Ultimak set up with a Micro Aimpoint.

Yeah, the narrow and thin little ribbed butt plate on the AKM is not pleasant when shooting long term with only a t-shirt.

I have never been bothered by a Magpul MOE stock on the AR...maybe that will tame the AKM? Anything has got to be better than the tiny steel butt plate.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe just try a NATO length stock first? Are you tall?

Feedback Score
    Nope...5ft 9in.

The 3 SKSs I have fit me just fine.

I think what bothers me the worst about the AKM stock is that it is thin and hard. It jabs my shoulder and does not spread the recoil impulse out as well as the thicker and wider SKS stock. The SKSs all wear their flat metal buttplate but it is wider and longer. The recoil of the 7.62x39 really never bothers me but the lighter, plastic stocked AKM seems to jab my shoulder MUCH worse than any SKS.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Nope...5ft 9in.

The 3 SKSs I have fit me just fine.

I think what bothers me the worst about the AKM stock is that it is thin and hard. It jabs my shoulder and does not spread the recoil impulse out as well as the thicker and wider SKS stock. The SKSs all wear their flat metal buttplate but it is wider and longer. The recoil of the 7.62x39 really never bothers me but the lighter, plastic stocked AKM seems to jab my shoulder MUCH worse than any SKS.

-brickboy240
    I'm sure theres a couple different recoil pads that would fit on the stock. Not particularly 'tacticool' but whatever gets you shooting that AK more, right?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The cheek-weld on my wasr used to be painfull. Not to mention the stock was just too short. I switched to a Mako recoil redusing stock, a Storm-werks folding mechanizm, and an Ace internal reciever block. The change made the wasr a pleasure to shoot, and have not regretted cutting off the tang.

Feedback Score
    I use a Vltor stock adapter with a SOPMOD stock on it. It's perfect and lightyears ahead of the standard stock. 2

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The VLTOR stock adapter adapter with an IMOD made my AK a whole lot more shootable. I had a NATO stock but being able to adjust the stock is more comfortable for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast