Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

Feedback Score

Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

So I've heard and read a lot about Froglube, and was recently introduced to FIREclean, which is an even newer product with similar claims to Froglube. They are both non-toxic, biodegradable, non-flammable, low odor, and made in the USA; Froglube is also a "USDA certified biobased product - 98%."

Seeing as how they sound so similar, and are both new(ish) products, I have decided to test them in an apples to apples comparison, with the apples being gen 3 Glock 19s. I have one brand new G19, and I am about to acquire another Wi(hopefully this weekend). My plan is to clean both very thoroughly, then lube one with FIREclean and the other with Froglube, per their respective directions. I will then proceed to shoot the exact same quantity and type of ammo through each, follow the exact same maintenance and cleaning schedule for each, alternate evenly between using them as my carry gun, and take lots of pictures. I plan to start as soon as I get the second G19. Besides testing several varieties of defense ammunition and firing several hundred rounds through each gun, I am taking a three day, high round count handgun class next month, and will shoot several hundred rounds through each pistol over the course of the class, that should be a good test. Also, I understand that Glocks, being reliable, run-on-anything firearms aren't the best test vehicle; however, they are what I have, so they are what I'll use.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I begin? I unfortunately do not have a chrono, so I won't be able to do any muzzle velocity comparisons (not that that is too big of a deal). Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I honestly doubt you will find a visible difference. I have run Fireclean in a class and the result really wasn't any different than the Mobil1 I was running before. I was ready to switch to Fireclean until I saw the cost. I simply refuse to spend the kind of money that Fireclean and Froglube want when I have no carbon or wear issues with my DDM4 or my semiauto handguns running plain old Mobil1 at 1/16th the cost.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 09-26-12 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    AKDoug: I already have the FIREclean and Froglube on hand, so I'll use them until they're gone; figured I might be able to learn something and possibly contribute here in a meaningful way while I'm at it.

I also think you're right, I probably won't see much of a difference; that's what the side by side comparison will do (I'm hoping). My thought process was that since they both work, I probably won't be able to see much of a difference, so by maintaining the same course of fire through each, I can catalog the malfunctions and such, with an eye toward anything that could have been caused by lube (or lack thereof). After 10,000 rounds or so I think I'll have a decent sample size to point to which might be superior. Then again, I could be completely wrong, and my quasi-scientific test won't show anything of worth

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    maybe try and measure wear. nothing tenifered will wear appreciably, but you might be able to take a micrometer to the frame rails and see a bit of wear.

honestly i've never found a lube situation that could choke a glock.

not to be a wiseass, but this would be a better test to run on a 1911.

Feedback Score
    Skyugo: I will try that, worse case, it won't show any useful data. Also, I know, Glocks aren't the best choice ... but I am a poor youngin' who doesn't have any suppressed AR's or 1911's. So unless someone wants to chip in and buy me a pair of something better, Glocks it will be

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I honestly doubt you will find a visible difference. I have run Fireclean in a class and the result really wasn't any different than the Mobil1 I was running before. I was ready to switch to Fireclean until I saw the cost. I simply refuse to spend the kind of money that Fireclean and Froglube want when I have no carbon or wear issues with my DDM4 or my semiauto handguns running plain old Mobil1 at 1/16th the cost.
    Personally... I would put a price on not breathing oil fumes, but to be honest just because Froglube is 98% bio doesn't mean it's much or any better to breathe. I can think of a handful of organic compounds that will kill you right quick. But... I am trying to not purposely breath in oil fumes. Do as you please.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While I'm at it I'll also try not to breath in burning gun powder, lead particles and copper particles. Frankly, hot Mobil1 doesn't concern me. Temps in a bolt carrier do not exceed temps in an engine and are far lower than the combustion temperature of engine oil. I've yet to smell any fumes.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 09-27-12 at 00:06.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I am not sure that there is anything you will be able to determine other than go/no-go and if it is exceptionally harder to clean or not. Most lube threads are over thought because someone clings to the idea that they can drink their lube or that they won't get breath bad fumes if they lube in a phone booth.

Use a good lube and use it often and you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have used both FrogLube and FIREclean.

I find that the FIREclean is a better cleaner and makes cleaning easier while still being a good lubricant. Works really well as a carbon barrier on WMLs.

FrogLube has an advantage on carry pistols as it sets up when cool and spreads as a liquid when hot, which keeps the lube from running out the front of your holster when doing the daily carry thing.

I like these two due to their non-toxic nature, as I spend a lot of time with gun gunk on my hands.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    FrogLube has an advantage on carry pistols as it sets up when cool and spreads as a liquid when hot, which keeps the lube from running out the front of your holster when doing the daily carry thing.
    I have not used FireClean, but I made the switch to Froglube for the reasons stated above. It seems to do a good job for me and it smells pretty pleasant which has made the wife happier since I clean weapons in the house fairly often.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast