Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Just looked at Rand CLP. They lost me at "nano infused."
    Whatever works. I love the stuff, and the lab data backs it. I agree that the catch-phrase is over-used, but what else would you call it? It's a technical description. "Nanoparticle" is a scientific term for a particle 1-100nanometers in size. "Infused" goes without needing definition. If a product contains a base oil ("vegetable" is what Rand claims, dunno which veggie...) that has a certain percentage by weight of particles in this size added to it, then what else should it be called? I get what you mean about the negative connotation, but it really is an accurate term if factual, and Rand Innovations does exactly what the name implies.
    Last edited by WS6; 05-01-13 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Whatever works. I love the stuff, and the lab data backs it. I agree that the catch-phrase is over-used, but what else would you call it? It's a technical description. "Nanoparticle" is a scientific term for a particle 1-100nanometers in size. "Infused" goes without needing definition. If a product contains a base oil ("vegetable" is what Rand claims, dunno which veggie...) that has a certain percentage by weight of particles in this size added to it, then what else should it be called? I get what you mean about the negative connotation, but it really is an accurate term if factual, and Rand Innovations does exactly what the name implies.
    You're probably right but the marketing term....it burns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lets face it, the best rust preventative for guns is cosmonline..but it's lousy lube. Because of where I live I value my gun lubes in a different order than somebody in LA or FL. Storage moisture generally isn't an issue here, so rust preventative is low on my list. If it provides good lubricity, ease of carbon cleanup, and good cold weather performance; those are the most important things to me. I certainly can understand why rust prevention would be a huge issue in some areas.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Lets face it, the best rust preventative for guns is cosmonline..but it's lousy lube. Because of where I live I value my gun lubes in a different order than somebody in LA or FL. Storage moisture generally isn't an issue here, so rust preventative is low on my list. If it provides good lubricity, ease of carbon cleanup, and good cold weather performance; those are the most important things to me. I certainly can understand why rust prevention would be a huge issue in some areas.
    I would think due to condensation, Alaska would make corrosion prevention an important factor, as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Depends where you are at. Since our land mass is 1/5 of the U.S. you can imagine that there are many different areas of the state. I pulled a 1917 Enfield barreled action out of my shed the other day that was just tossed onto the top of some boxes 18 years ago . A couple tiny specs of rust that I don't even know if they were there before I threw it in there. I have guns projects that are in the top of my closet for that long also without any preservative (oil or anything else) that haven't rusted a bit.

I've been using Fireclean since the beginning of the winter and I haven't had an issue with rust. However, you can see by the other guns I have, rust never is an issue where I live. They get wet all the time, but overall the humidity is so low that once dried and in storage they really don't have a problem anyway. Condensation can be an issue. I've brought guns in from the cold and have them condensate badly. However, I've yet to have one rust because of it. Especially any AR with proper military phosphate coating on it's steel parts.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 05-03-13 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Depends where you are at. Since our land mass is 1/5 of the U.S. you can imagine that there are many different areas of the state. I pulled a 1917 Enfield barreled action out of my shed the other day that was just tossed onto the top of some boxes 18 years ago . A couple tiny specs of rust that I don't even know if they were there before I threw it in there. I have guns projects that are in the top of my closet for that long also without any preservative (oil or anything else) that haven't rusted a bit.

I've been using Fireclean since the beginning of the winter and I haven't had an issue with rust. However, you can see by the other guns I have, rust never is an issue where I live. They get wet all the time, but overall the humidity is so low that once dried and in storage they really don't have a problem anyway. Condensation can be an issue. I've brought guns in from the cold and have them condensate badly. However, I've yet to have one rust because of it. Especially any AR with proper military phosphate coating on it's steel parts.
    I always figured all of Alaska got cold during the winter. I guess kindof how people think all of la is a swamp.

Feedback Score
    I have used both and I will say after shooting 500 rounds some rapid some paced that fireclean fends to be a little cleaner looking than frog lube though I don't see much of a difference. I usually tend to buy which ever is cheapest when I need gun lube.

I am curious about the mobile1 idea what weight do u use? 0w/20 5w/20?

Feedback Score
    Fireclean intrigues me, but I've got everything covered in Froglube. I don't know if I should clean them all off and start over, or just keep using FL...

*Sigh* every time I get something cool, something cooler comes out...
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thanks

Great thread....good info!
    If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Over two years into using FIREClean, here are my thoughts on the subject...

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/fireclean-gun-oil/
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast