Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Over two years into using FIREClean, here are my thoughts on the subject...

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/fireclean-gun-oil/
    Well written. Seems like the only question mark may be its ability as a rust preventer in the parts of the country with high humidity. My basement requires a de-humidifier and one in the safe. As such, Weapons Shield works for me. Considering I only have a couple of ounces left in the bottle this topic is becoming very important.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks. Regarding prevention, I haven't done anything 'real world' that can lead you to believe it can fill the shoes you're looking for. Regarding rust removal, it seems to eat it right up. A dab and a bit of rubbing has been all that was needed for many small parts that needed attention (been coating firearms for over 3 years now...I've seen lots of rust), and its all been done off that same tester bottle.
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    Hunt AK - is Fireclean a "only use this product" product like Froglube? I really like FL as a lubricant, but have found it to be well below average on rust prevention. If FC can be used as a lube in conjuction with a proven rust preventer externally, that would be ideal for me...

Thanks for your review!

Regards,

Kevin

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I could speculate on the topic but won't since I don't want to give misleading information. I do know that it has been used in applications such as a lubricant for fishing reels (where rust prevention would be needed) successfully. I'll try and bend Ed's ear and see what he says.....
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    From the FIREClean guys:

"FC works well as a rust preventative, also as a rust remover (use #0000 steel wool to start). For best results don't mix FC with other products. Hope this helps!"

So they echo my statements as a rust remover, and I haven't seen any rust issues since I've been using it, but as always YMMV...
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    From the FIREClean guys:

"FC works well as a rust preventative, also as a rust remover (use #0000 steel wool to start). For best results don't mix FC with other products. Hope this helps!"

So they echo my statements as a rust remover, and I haven't seen any rust issues since I've been using it, but as always YMMV...
    Initially when I tested it with solution approximating 50mmol NaCl, as found in sweat (CCW on a hot day simulated), it performed poorly.

However, in a "clean" environment with high humidity (100% at times), it has performed VERY well. Taking it inside/outside/inside and the accompanying condensation should not harm a FireClean lubed weapon component.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Good to know. Thanks...
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianbro10 View Post
    I have used both and I will say after shooting 500 rounds some rapid some paced that fireclean fends to be a little cleaner looking than frog lube though I don't see much of a difference. I usually tend to buy which ever is cheapest when I need gun lube.

I am curious about the mobile1 idea what weight do u use? 0w/20 5w/20?
    I have used Mobil 1 10W30 and 5W30 motor oil with good results. I typically shoot 300-500 rounds when I take my AR carbine to the range. On a few occasions when I fired 1,000+ rounds in one day, I put a few drops of oil on the bolt and carrier during my lunch break.

For applications where I don't want the lube to fling off, such as the op rod on a M1A or M1 Garand, I use wheel bearing grease. Once my tub of Pennzoil wheel bearing grease is used up, I am going to buy some synthetic wheel bearing grease and give it a try.

I tried Frog Lube and out of curiosity I am considering giving Fireclean a try on one of my carbines and my Glock 19.
    Last edited by T2C; 09-27-13 at 06:08.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    What about Break Free CLP?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    What about Break Free CLP?
    It tends to burn off a LOT faster, and contains a lot of junk that you don't want in your lungs or on your hands. It kindof doesn't belong in this discussion as it differs so much from the other two being discussed.

Seal 1
    Rand CLP
    Ballistol

Those are product alternatives, IMO.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast