Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Update on FL. On my friends NHC that was treated 100% by the book with Froglube, after firing only 50 rounds and then sitting in a safe/ CCW for around 6 months. It was so sticky that you could drop the slide on empty chamber and it would not even hurt your finger if you stuck it in the chamber while doing so. It was difficult to rack the slide period. The SS barrel on the outside looked IDENTICAL to the residue on my deep frier pot. Brown bubbly sticky residue. After a treatment of alcohol wipes removing all the frog line and using regular clp, back to the originally beauty of a NHC.
    Has anyone else experienced that?
    I've experienced the same thing. Gave up and now only use it to coat blades and tools. Works fantastic for those applications.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Update on FL. On my friends NHC that was treated 100% by the book with Froglube, after firing only 50 rounds and then sitting in a safe/ CCW for around 6 months. It was so sticky that you could drop the slide on empty chamber and it would not even hurt your finger if you stuck it in the chamber while doing so. It was difficult to rack the slide period. The SS barrel on the outside looked IDENTICAL to the residue on my deep frier pot. Brown bubbly sticky residue. After a treatment of alcohol wipes removing all the frog line and using regular clp, back to the originally beauty of a NHC.
    Has anyone else experienced that?
    I've experienced the same thing. Gave up and now only use it to coat blades and tools. Works fantastic for those applications.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Yes. I ran into that issue on three different AR's. Fired them on multiple occasions and was left with a very sticky residue after a few weeks. I had a spare bolt that I treated and stuck in a small zip lock baggie. I pulled it out last night and it was the same thing. Very sticky, no longer slick at all. I tried to wipe the unfired bolt down with a paper towel and it would not wipe off. Actually tore the paper towel it was so sticky. All parts were stripped with brake cleaner and FL applied with a heat gun. One of my guns was short stroking because of the sticky residue. It may have slicked up after getting the gun warm, but after 60 rounds, it was still not as viscous as it should have been and would not lock back on an empty mag. It ran fine after stripping with MPro7 and applying weaponshield. I can only imagine how bad it would be in cold weather.
    I have not experienced this to this degree. I had a BCG that I put in a bag for about a year, and it came out looking the same as it went in. However, I had a rifle I shot and left for a few weeks, and it had began to get a bit sticky. I think air is the factor, here.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This whole thread makes me LOL so damn hard after I ragged on Froglube about 1-2 years ago and everyone told me I was wrong to ask questions and to just use it because it was amazing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
    When motor oil quits working, I'll have to give one of these new flavor of the week gun lubes a try. However, after decades in various climates, the motor oil seems to be doing just fine other than lacking celebrity firearms instructor endorsement.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    That (FL) remind me of WD-40. Many years ago hell I'm old) all of my shooting group used & swore by the stuff. Well it probably did retard rust but it turned so gummy after setting for months on a firearm the gun would get so gummy, THEN hard, that, for example you could not rotate the cylinder on a revolver.

Feedback Score

mobil 1 syn

Have used Mobil 1 syn for years rifles handguns shotguns and per volume ....cheaper

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    On Glocks, it doesn't matter much to me. I use FireClean because it's my preferred lube, but is use anything on a Glock.

Frog Lube slowed the action on my 1911 in 48 degree weather to the point that it barely chambered a round. I'll try to link the video.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 12-04-13 at 19:17.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    On Glocks, it doesn't matter much to me. I use FireClean because it's my preferred lube, but is use anything on a Glock.

Frog Lube slowed the action on my 1911 in 48 degree weather to the point that it barely chambered a round. I'll try to link the video.
    I would like to see this... I have heard of similar issues.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoPrecision View Post
    I would like to see this... I have heard of similar issues.
    I uploaded the video to my flickr but can't link it from my phone. I'll try in a few from the computer or iPad.

To be clear, this is the liquid Frog Lube. Maybe a drop or two on the rails, a drop on the locking lugs and one down into the hammer and sear.

I guess I can just direct link it - http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/24925870@N00/11214693923/

Here's a Glock 19 for an apples to oranges comparison. I'm just linking it to show what a slide should look like on video. I'll eventually take another of the 1911 with FireClean for a fair comparison.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/24925870@N00/11215176815/
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 12-04-13 at 20:57.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast