Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gman556 View Post
    Even if froglube work outstandingly awesome, I still wouldn't use the shit because who the frig wants to heat all the friggen parts every time they clean their dam weapon
    I was very curious initially, but the application process kept me from wanting to give it a shot. Glad I didn't.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have to say that I've always been skeptical of new lubes at first and the only thing I ever really used after clp and mobile 1 was Slip EWL, which was very good. I've talked to IG a few times about it and he's a big fan of Frog Lube, and I believe it's working well for him. To be honest, it worked ok for me on my ARs and Glock, but I only used light amounts of the liquid. 1911's on the cold, it doesn't work well. For me at least.

The frog lube I finally tried was a free kit given to me, and at first it seemed fine. Otherwise, I wouldn't have tried it as slip had been working.

Now, I got some free FireClean and after reading Kevin's reviews on Lightfighter, I figured I'd give that a try. It has worked really well for me. My Colt 6921 with vltor A5 (one of the first batches of A5's so it feels rougher than the new ones) also felt a little rougher than the carbine RE, but it's been 100% reliable, so I don't care one bit. I noticed after the second or third application of FireClean, it's now slicker than it's ever been even when I was using the carbine RE and Slip. I can't even imagine how many rounds are through that a5 extension.

So, of course I applied it to the same 1911. It's as slick as Slip. BUT, I noticed something different. Normally, the Slip would see about stuff around the trigger, but it would just be the clean lube, or a little dirty once it got going. I had detail stripped the gun, and lubed it with Slip as usual. When I got the FireClean, I decided to use that as they instructed on the 1911. So, I detail stripped it again, and removed all the slip. Lubed it with FireClean. The only reason I detail stripped it was to get the frog lube out, then get the slip out so I could lube it with FireClean. Otherwise, it would have just gotten wiped down. I dry fired as I do every single day for about 20 to 30 minutes.

I noticed instead of lube seeping out around the trigger, this time it was carbon, even though it had been detail stripped twice since last firing. It seemed that the FireClean was pulling carbon out that wasn't showing when using Slip.

I'm very impressed with FireClean and will continue to use it on my guns. I really don't care what I use on my Glocks, but I can say that a very light coat over the internals makes it a good bit easier to clean. My cleaning consists of a towel wiping down what I can reach.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    What if Fireclean actually had a chemical that when exposed to the atmosphere or other materials over time turns black and what actually only a die instead of carbon like seen in the post above?? That would be wild huh! I don't think it is. However, FC claims to be odorless, but it definitely produces a smell similar to older FL (Like Used/heated vegetable oil) after time. I have not seen it produce the sticky substance I mentioned above from FL yet. It seems to keep my parts cleaner/easier to clean so far. We shall see over time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Frog Lube would smell up the whole room. For me, I can't even notice FireClean. I never liked the FL mint.

I think there was some carbon I just didn't see or clean inside the frame around the trigger and the FireClean just broke it loose.

For me, FireClean works as well as Slip with the added benefit of making it easier to clean. I never really do more than wipe it down with a towel, and now that method seems to get my rifles cleaner than before.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    What if Fireclean actually had a chemical that when exposed to the atmosphere or other materials over time turns black and what actually only a die instead of carbon like seen in the post above?? That would be wild huh!
    I seriously doubt that is the case.

I was digging through a spare parts box this morning and found a spare complete BCG that I had previously treated with FL. It was recently replaced by an LMT enhanced BCG and I pulled the BCG out of an upper and dropped it into a sealed zip lock bag. It was cleaned and coated with the liquid FL before storage. Like the spare bolt I referred to earlier, the FL had become very tacky. It did not slick up at all when rubbed vigorously with my thumb. It's just tacky, like used, dried up cooking oil in a frying pan.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Frog Lube would smell up the whole room. For me, I can't even notice FireClean. I never liked the FL mint.
    I was referring to the oily stinch not the mint part.

Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I seriously doubt that is the case.

I was digging through a spare parts box this morning and found a spare complete BCG that I had previously treated with FL. It was recently replaced by an LMT enhanced BCG and I pulled the BCG out of an upper and dropped it into a sealed zip lock bag. It was cleaned and coated with the liquid FL before storage. Like the spare bolt I referred to earlier, the FL had become very tacky. It did not slick up at all when rubbed vigorously with my thumb. It's just tacky, like used, dried up cooking oil in a frying pan.
    Haha I don't really believe it is. I was just playing into the snake oil posts about FC.

Yep that used cooking oil is exactly how the NHC I just cleaned look and felt.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Gotcha.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I started with Militec-1 on all of my guns and was pleased with it. When I started running low, I switched some of them over to Slip since I had two bottles from BCM uppers. Has not seen nearly the extensive testing from me that Militec did, but I have had good results with it, also. I couldn't help but buy a bottle of Fireclean after seeing so much good stuff about it though. I haven't really had a difficult time removing any carbon from any of my weapons yet, probably because I get a little OCD and feel the need to do some type of cleaning and re-lubing after most firing sessions. I look forward to trying it out, but will wait until I'm out of both of my other lubes.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Fireclean definitely does give off a smell after a while. As others have said, it's like that stale cooking oil smell. I refer to it as the dining commons smell, or DC smell, because it smells exactly like the dining commons in my college days.

I've only ever noticed this type of smell on Fireclean and Froglube, not on any other lube. Could it maybe have something to do with the fact that both are biodegradable?
    Last edited by ruchik; 12-06-13 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruchik View Post

I've only ever noticed this type of smell on Fireclean and Froglube, not on any other lube. Could it maybe have something to do with the fact that both are biodegradable?
    Maybe so. Being biodegradable, it certainly makes you wonder if they are some sort of vegetable oil derivatives or some other natural oil.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast