Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Glock Froglube vs FIREclean

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Maybe so. Being biodegradable, it certainly makes you wonder if they are some sort of vegetable oil derivatives or some other natural oil.
    Especially since FL states it is "Food Grade Biodegradable"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Most of these bio-based products are soy or corn oil based I would imagine. They've been making them for years, but they have some pretty big drawbacks, including a very limited shelf life which results in rancidity. IIRC Froglube changed their formula to address this to some degree, because several people had mold issues. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money for a wonderlube only to have it go bad before I could use it all. Most petrol and synthetic products have a very long shelf life. Break-Free CLP, Ballistol, and TW-25B are good examples of this.

I'll stick with Weaponshield, Ballistol, TW-25B, MPRo7, Hoppes, and Slip 2000 products. They are safe and non-toxic, and very effective. If I get to where I can't or won't spend the money on gun-specific products, I would use products from the automotive and hardware section at Wally World and drive on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll say this...up here in Canada Froglube has a terrible reputation. I could not possibly count the number of people who've told me that their guns don't run in the cold when lubed with FL. The slowed down slide is probably the least surprising thing I've encountered today...and I was at a Starbucks this morning at which I encountered a snarky, self-involved middle-management type wearing moderately priced dress clothes, treating people as though he was Donald Trump. So that video has some stiff competition for unsurprising encounters.

Personally I mostly just use synthetic motor oil. It seems to work fine and definitely works better than FL in the cold.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This whole thread makes me LOL so damn hard after I ragged on Froglube about 1-2 years ago and everyone told me I was wrong to ask questions and to just use it because it was amazing.
    It is pretty ironic. I avoided FL for a long time simply because the application process seemed too tedious. Earlier this year I was convinced to give it a shot by a friend. So, I set out to try it over the summer and applied it to 3 different guns. I gave it a fair shot, just didn't work out.

Then, just as I swore off these wonderlubes, a friend here sent me half a bottle of Fireclean. I applied it to my SBR, which sees more rounds than any of my other guns. The other two are back to weaponshield unless Fireclean convinces me otherwise. I'll run it for a few months and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    After being away from my firearms for an extended amount of time I arrived home and fondled my PPS for the first time in a long time. It was lubed up with fresh FL when I left. Upon returning home it had turned into some sort of yellow/black gunk. A dehumidifier was used the entire time. All I know is that this happened and I am just here to share my experience. I have since stripped all my firearms of FL, which also had turned into the yellow/black gunk , reapplying some Mobile1 from my garage.
    Last edited by mattexass; 12-06-13 at 19:20.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819