Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The US IWI Tavor (pics)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

The US IWI Tavor (pics)

Due around May.
    Price: $1900 MSRP
    Please check out the Military Arms Channel on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    What were your first impressions?

Feedback Score
    I did get to shoot it.

It takes a slightly different approach to the concept than other designs such as the AUG. It also has some similarities.

The ejection can be changes from right to left hand side. This is nothing new.

The charging handle can be moved to either side of the rifle (AUG can't do this).

When it's fired from the left side (right hand configuration) the brass deflector sends spent cases forward. There is no chance of it hitting your face.

Mag release is a trigger like device in front of the magazine. It's very easy to use. My concern is that a sling or mag pouch might cause an unintentional mag release, but I've not confirmed this as I had neither a sling or chest rig available.

The bolt release is brilliantly simple. Push the new mag in, push up with your thumb (already in position) and boom, the bolt rides home with a new round.

The trigger pack is tiny and sits just behind the magazine well. It can stay in the rifle when you remove the bolt. It requires two pins to be pushed out (captive) to drop the trigger pack.

The flip up sights are integrated into the 1913 rail. The front sight has tritium.

The front handguard is removable and rails can be installed.

It will be released as a 5.56 but a 9mm conversion kit will be immediately available as well. You can change calibers yourself.

The barrel is a quick release barrel.

It will have QD mounts front and rear and on both sides.

7.2lbs empty.

Decent trigger, not your typical bullpup mushy, creepy trigger. Not a match trigger, but a solid military trigger.

Recoil is about what you would expect. The balance of the rifle is nearly perfect, you can keep this rifle shouldered and in the ready position much longer and more comfortably than a rifle like the M4.

Overall, I'm impressed. I think it has the potential to be the best bullpup on the market. I'll reserve judgement until I get my own copy to bang around on.

Due around May. Price is said to be $1900 MSRP. Expect a street price to be less than that once the dust settles from the initial release.

Plant is up and running, employees hired, production starting. Just waiting on the ATF and some licensing issues.
    Last edited by MilitaryArms; 09-30-12 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I want, any idea who will be distributing these rifles?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I want, any idea who will be distributing these rifles?
    All the big US distributors will have them from what I was told. The question will be how many can they make a month and how back ordered will everyone be?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Overall, I'm impressed. I think it has the potential to be the best bullpup on the market. I'll reserve judgement until I get my own copy to bang around on.
    Glad to hear you liked it. We really like them up here in Canada, and we're cautiously optimistic that we'll see an expanded market for accessories going forward.

Feedback Score
    Fugly.

No chance I'll ever buy it unless it was extremely fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinGunMP5 View Post
    Fugly.

No chance I'll ever buy it unless it was extremely fun to shoot.
    Funny...people said that about the M16 when it was introduced too. It's a wonder it's survived this long.

Personally I like it...a lot. Although $1900 is a bit steep. Get it down to around $1k and I'd be interested.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxsun View Post
    Glad to hear you liked it. We really like them up here in Canada, and we're cautiously optimistic that we'll see an expanded market for accessories going forward.
    I've been waiting for this for a very long time. I finally got to shoot it today. I do like it quite a bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I've been waiting for this for a very long time. I finally got to shoot it today. I do like it quite a bit.
    I really like the Tavor, but of course I'm somewhat biased. The two biggest complaints that people in Canada have had with the Tavor are the LOP (for some) and the trigger (there's actually a spring you can remove in the trigger unit that softens it up a bit). Our version comes with an 18.5" barrel which is not as accurate as the 16" one. A few of us have the factory IWI CTAR 15", which is an absolute riot and very accurate to boot.

The great news for the US Tavor is that you're getting a polished design care of your neighbours to the north (think of us as your resident beta testers ). The flat top is actually the second generation, which also features a redesigned bolt and firing pin that addressed an issue with slam-fires when using commercial grade primers.

We're looking forward to the X95.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast