Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The US IWI Tavor (pics)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post

Looks like a superb modern platform that will sell and keep Folks from having to deal with SBR & the resultant hassle factor- the restrictions on travel with the permission slip, worries about confiscation at a later date, ect. Lots of downside with respect to SBR IMO.
    That was what sold me on pre-ordering. Was planning on a 300 BO, but decided dealing with SBR stuff was not worth the hassle. If I am not mistaken, the OAL of the 16 inch is equal to that of an 7.5 inch AR...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Mcarthy
    I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Serialmonagamist
    There's no need to shoot a bear over a bluff charge, for the same reason you don't shoot every douchebag you see in a Tapout shirt.

Feedback Score
    I'm not aware of different buttpads for LOP but it is possible - the LOP right now is not objectionable at all

You do not need to go thru the muzzle to clean the barrel - it is easily cleaned thru the chamber end

It appears that shooting from the off shoulder can be easily accomplished with a red dot sight by not creeping up on the stock as much as you normally would shooting strong side - I will know when I try it but my guess is it very doable

The irons in the pic rail mount version fold down and tuck into the 12 o'clock rail and the front has a tritium insert - with a Micro mount on a LaRue throw lever mount they are co-witness height

I plan on using mine with the irons folded down and running a T-1

I am still figuring out the white light location - the gun is totally ambi except for the bolt and that looks to be a non issue based on proper technique

It is extremely compact and would make for excellent maneuverability in tight spaces

My gut says this gun is a winner and could well be the best Bullpup to date

Watch for a TacTV episode on the Tavor later in 2013

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm all about the M4 Platform, but, lets face it, it's a Platform designed in the mid 20th century (albeit, ahead of its time using plastics and aluminum). This, however, is another quantum leap technology-wise in 21st century weaponology designed by Israelis for Israelis to defend their Homeland.

I'm looking forward to some early adopters getting some trigger time, especially the cognoscenti like LAV and getting their take.
    Glad the AWB looks like its DOA now, so maybe the price point will ease off a little down the road as well as availability.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    I'm not aware of different buttpads for LOP but it is possible - the LOP right now is not objectionable at all

You do not need to go thru the muzzle to clean the barrel - it is easily cleaned thru the chamber end

It appears that shooting from the off shoulder can be easily accomplished with a red dot sight by not creeping up on the stock as much as you normally would shooting strong side - I will know when I try it but my guess is it very doable

The irons in the pic rail mount version fold down and tuck into the 12 o'clock rail and the front has a tritium insert - with a Micro mount on a LaRue throw lever mount they are co-witness height

I plan on using mine with the irons folded down and running a T-1

I am still figuring out the white light location - the gun is totally ambi except for the bolt and that looks to be a non issue based on proper technique

It is extremely compact and would make for excellent maneuverability in tight spaces

My gut says this gun is a winner and could well be the best Bullpup to date

Watch for a TacTV episode on the Tavor later in 2013
    Larry,

You've had a chance to spend a bit of time behind this weapon. How viable is the Leupold 1-3X Mark 4, CQ/T for this rifle?

Thanks,

Ken

Feedback Score
    Ken

Off the top of my head I would say the CQT is very viable - the trigger is spongy as you would expect but if the gun ends up being as popular as I expect it to be with the AWB appearing less and less likely I would like to think we may see Geisselle do a trigger for it- I will certainly ask him about it

Hell he did one for the SCAR and the ACR right ? In my book both those guns are dogs in comparison based on my first impressions of the Tavor

It is also entirely possible that individuals may crack the code on doing a trigger job with stock components also

Honestly about the only thing I can really criticize on the gun is the trigger - not that it is terrible it is just a typical Bullpup trigger

If that issue is addressed this thing will be set up for success - the Tavor is very popular in Canada and I am starting to see why

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ken

Off the top of my head I would say the CQT is very viable - the trigger is spongy as you would expect but if the gun ends up being as popular as I expect it to be with the AWB appearing less and less likely I would like to think we may see Geisselle do a trigger for it- I will certainly ask him about it

Hell he did one for the SCAR and the ACR right ? In my book both those guns are dogs in comparison based on my first impressions of the Tavor

It is also entirely possible that individuals may crack the code on doing a trigger job with stock components also

Honestly about the only thing I can really criticize on the gun is the trigger - not that it is terrible it is just a typical Bullpup trigger

If that issue is addressed this thing will be set up for success - the Tavor is very popular in Canada and I am starting to see why
    Larry,

Thanks for you insight. I ran an issued AUG-P for several years but they took them away and we standardized with the M-4 in 2009. I still think we'd have done better with new AUGs instead. I really liked the 1.5X "donut of death optic. I found it to be fast, easy to use, and near bomb-proof. Since the announcement of the Tavor, I have been trying to decide which optic would give the Tavor the greatest all-around utility. The M-4s in the household all wear Aimpoints, either T-1's or PROs, one has a 1-4X. I was thinking the low magnification of the CQ/T would be give the tavor great flexibility in the 50-300M realm. Anyway, anxious to see these on the streets. If you find yourself over at Prado anytime soon, give a call.

Thanks again,

Ken

Feedback Score
    I would like to think we may see Geisselle do a trigger for it- I will certainly ask him about it
    Larry, thank you and PLEASE do pursue this with him.

I love all my Geisselle triggers and would not like to see my Tavor deprived of one.

Feedback Score

The irons in the pic rail mount version fold down and tuck into the 12 o'clock rail and the front has a tritium insert - with a Micro mount on a LaRue throw lever mount they are co-witness height.
    Larry,

Am I correct to assume that you are using the LT751 (absolute) to get a co-witness and not one of the other Larue mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Larry,

You've had a chance to spend a bit of time behind this weapon. How viable is the Leupold 1-3X Mark 4, CQ/T for this rifle?

Thanks,

Ken
    Ken,

Do you already have much experience with the CQ/T? I have one that I'm not really using since it is rather big and heavy for what it provides. IMHO, there are some better choices and I keep it only because it was my very first AR optic (purchased in 1998 I believe). If you don't already have one, PM me if you want to give mine a try when you get your Tavor.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for your thoughts, Larry. We really value your opinion.

I have not been following the Tavor closely, but remember hearing something about the gun having the Tavor having issues with PMAGs and the bolt hold open. I'm wondering if this has been addressed with the US made versions. There is no reason that the Israelli version would be designed to work with PMAGs because it was designed and released before PMAGs existed, and it was likely designed to run with US GI Spec mags and Israelli made polymer mags.

Also, I'm wondering if the gun has any issues with feeding reliably when monopodded on the magazine. This is just a general question.

thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Larry,

Am I correct to assume that you are using the LT751 (absolute) to get a co-witness and not one of the other Larue mounts?

Ken,

Do you already have much experience with the CQ/T? I have one that I'm not really using since it is rather big and heavy for what it provides. IMHO, there are some better choices and I keep it only because it was my very first AR optic (purchased in 1998 I believe). If you don't already have one, PM me if you want to give mine a try when you get your Tavor.
    Sensei,

No, I have an XTR 1-4X on one carbine. 1X on everything else. The only other compact optic that is similar in size to the 1.5X donut of death we had on the AUG-P is the CQ/T. I'd like something fast like a 1X, bot with a bit more flexibility. The 1-4 (1 or 4) Elcan is an option but damn, it is heavy. I was hoping this year at shot there would be some more compact, variable GP optics shown but I was disappointed.

Ken

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast