Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Realistically though, most folks don't live and work in environments where all day carry of combat auto loaders is a practical proposition. Most folks do it for a while, but after time passes the gun ends up in the glove compartment most of the time. I guess you can conceal a a 10 inch AR or Mac 10 in a brief case if you are hard core enough.
    The reductivist argument can go to the extreme in either direction, though. There are so many variables at play that it's impossible to prescribe "the best" gun for any one individual.

I own a 9mm glock in each frame size (FS, C, SC) and the J frame. They all end up on my hip at one point or another during the year. Case in point - in the last 24 hours, I have been in several NPEs in which I opted for either teh G26 or the J Frame. This evening on my way to grab takeout I took along the G19 + TLR1 in an OWB rig. In each instance I felt it took minimal effort to "gun up," minimal effort to conceal (relative to the environment), and felt that I had maximized my personal security to the best of my ability while simultaneously minimized the chance of being made. In each instance, I went with the most gun I could without compromising my comfort or concealability.

I think the trouble with prescribing the J-frame as the "best all around gun for the average civilian" is that as firearms they really sacrifice a lot in the way of shootability and capacity. I would most definitely not feel comfortable if the J frame was my only sidearm. I have the luxury of owning a variety of pistols that I can carry, but if I had to select only one of them to keep with me at all times, I probably wouldn't pick the J frame... come winter time, it actually might be even more of a hassle to carry adequately than my G19. Pocket carry or IWB carry while wearing gloves in -10 degree weather does not make for a very good drawstroke...

edit: I also don't happen to agree with DocGKR that there is no alternative to carrying a G19 sized pistol. There are absolutely occasions where I simply cannot (ever tried jogging with a G19 in a belly band? it doesn't work) and would prefer 5 shots to 0. I would hardly describe myself as an expert at much outside of confocal microscopy (maybe), but I am happy to not have to worry about whether or not I'll be able to carry to a particular location in particular conditions - the only question I have to answer is "which one?"
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-02-12 at 19:02.